[solved] AX8-Edit USB to MacBook Pro USB 3

Mike Scaggs

I can see this has been discussed over and over. I got an AX8 yesterday and of course there are already issues before I can even get it on the first gig (tonight!)...

I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. I have a MacBook Pro running Mojave. I have tried 3 different USB cables I have around the studio but nothing seems to work. It did briefly connect one time but that's it.

Is there a special cable I must buy? I desperately need help on this fast if you guys can help me. I appreciate it very much.

Cheers from Nashville
Mike

Check to see if the USB Connection Jack on the AX8 is loose. If it is, try holding it tight at the AX8 and see if that helps. I have a MacBook Pro with Mojave also, it works fine, although the Jack on my AX8 is loose. I need to open it up and fix it one day.

So.....AX8 Edit DOES then run on Mojave (OS 10.14) for certain? I am still using 10.13....I have been a bit shy about up-dating over concerns about software compatibility.

you may need a hub/dock. I had tons of trouble with USB connectivity trying to use the UsbC adapters, I bought a dock and everything works perfect. couldn't even get an audio interface to connect when I first got a newer MB Pro

I use this:
USB C to USB B Printer Cable 6.6 Feet, CableCreation USB 2.0 Type C to Type B Cable, Compatible MacBook Pro, HP, Canon, Brother, Epson, Dell, Samsung Printers etc, 2M/ Black Amazon product ASIN B012V563B6

Last edited:
Ok, so I found the issue. The damn USB jack itself is busted. This thing just arrived yesterday and hasn't moved from the table where I set it up. Apparently it was shipped broken which is unfortunate. The USB jack will need to be replaced. Being an amp tech it would be easy for me to do that myself however, I shouldn't have to and Im sure that would void any warranty. My guess is Fractal will make this right so I'll find out Monday what we will do. Thanks guys

60048737_10156531384343768_2389434072205099008_n.jpg

Assuming you bought this used, methinks the warranty is for the original owner only , but in any event , I’m sure FAS support will Sort you out reasonably.....

Hi Mike, I’m a SGF member. I’m a steel player as well as guitar. Cool to see you checking out the Fractal stuff. Here’s a link to one of Mike’s amp rebuilds. He also does excellent Emmons push pull steel guitar rebuilds.

Ha! Thanks for posting that link and the welcome note. I'm digging into the Fractal stuff as I do so many IEM gigs and my giant pedalboard just isn't practical for some gigs. I'll be changing out that USB jack when it arrives and may make a quick video on how to do it for those who have the same issue.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom