SPL levels when playing out?

Remember it’s both time and intensity that can do damage. 8hrs at 90dB is an OSHA standard, but the inverse squared law, with dB being a measure of sound pressure, means 4hrs at 93 dB, 2 hrs at 96dB etc...

As such, 2 hr concert at just 100dB can easily cause some potentially permanent hearing loss, and guys who are subjecting their ears to 120dB cranked amps as a backline, gig after gig, are no doubt doing some significant harm which will have lasting implications of reduced clarity of speech, tinnitus etc

Seeing as how your the resident SME here, may I ask, is there a way to determine SPL when using in ears?.
I'm using am30's which have an ambient port and I'm finding that the level I need to monitor at to hear over the drums causes my ears to ring after about an hour. I guess based on the chart, it's somewhere north of 90.

DB-chart.png

I am always amazed by musicians who put their hearing at constant risk.
I’m with you I’m trying to save my hearing I have tinnitus it wear my ear plugs. All the years of Rock an Roll.
And not to mention all the loud noise from my job, which I have been retired from for 13 years:cool::)

My old band got the cops called for playing about 140db...

It was in the city of Tempe, AZ... and it was INSIDE A CLUB

My old band used to play in Tempe (and Mesa) also. What band were you in?

Our drummer was pretty loud. We opted to play loud enough to sound balanced with him, and I have no doubt it kept us from getting gigs. For a while, I was running a 45W 1x12" tube amp dry, then tapping off the output of that and feeding my FX and out through a DECA512 into a pair of 1x12" cabs. I was running 8 ohms, so only getting 125W per side on the FX, but it kept up with Mike's drums....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom