Heart 'Magic Man' - Can the Axe-Fx 3 pull it off?

Used to play this in a Heart tribute band about 10 years ago w/ @xrist04 with our Ultra's at the time. I played the clean part with IIRC a Fender with stock flanger. He played the solos with a Les Paul in standard tuning. Not sure but I think he was using a Marshall model with an OD but lord knows I've killed some brain cells since then so not sure. His patch sounded dead on, maybe he can elaborate. No reverse delay was used. Bottom line it's doable.

Some of the most demanding tunes I've ever played!

Last edited:
There are a ton of different tones going on with this song, and a couple keyboard parts. Im wondering if it's possible to pull this off live using a single preset. Calling @Moke .. If you are looking for a new song preset to add I will make this my official request.

Anyone have any tips on this?
Is the flanger sound an electric mistress?
The main lead sound is really "hot" . Is this a fuzz pedal maybe?

There's no flanger in "Magic Man", but there is some phase shifter on the rhythm.

I was asked to fill in with a Heart tribute band a few weeks ago and we did play Magic Man (surprise!). I played rhythm using an Axe 8, and the lead player used a SansAmp FlyRig. He seems to nail some decent tones considering how limited the scope of the FlyRig is. I could only imagine the Axe III doing it better.

Clip of that show...

"Magic Man" is definitely do-able with the Axe-Fx.

Old video, the cell-phone audio is not the greatest, but should give you an idea. Signal chain: LP (57 Classic pups) into Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX ULTRA, direct to FOH.

Back
Top Bottom