FC: Possible to execute two functions at the same time with one switch?

savaitti

Hi,

I've been reading the FC6/12 manual, as I am getting one (FC6) in a couple of days. I wonder if it's possible to execute two functions with one (IA) switch at the same time with one tap (i.e. not using hold-function), like I could do with MC-101?
For example: to turn on drive and delay with one tap? Or bypass a null filter (engaged to a exp. pedal for volume swells) and turn on rotary (with the same exp. pedal for rotary speed)? Or do I need to use scenes for this kind on use?

I'd like create a simple setup with 3 basic sounds at the bottom switches (clean, drive and lead), using scenes probably. Then I'd like to have basic effects on the top 3 switches (rev, del, boost) by tapping (and also staying on/off even if I switch scenes for more gain). Then I could use the hold-functions for additional effects (like rotary, pitch), looper (by changing layout), tuner utility etc.

I'd also use two exp. pedals for wah/pitch and volume/speed.

Have you tried something like this?

Why not just set up scenes for your clean, drive, and lead tones and use the three switches to change scenes?

If you assign both Drive Bypass and Delay Bypass to the some footswitch, both will kick on with one stomp. Note, however, that those Bypass states will revert to whatever you have programmed when you change scenes.

Why not just set up scenes for your clean, drive, and lead tones and use the three switches to change scenes?

Yes, that's what I was thinking, basically, but I am not sure if I can change a scene without affecting the bypass state of the effects.

Example 1: I'll have a dry clean sound for rhythm (scene 1 on the first switch). The I'll start a solo. I'll switch delay and volume boost on with the 5th and 6th switch. Then I'll want to add gain, and I'll switch scene 2 (drive) with the 2ns switch. Do the delay and volume boost still stay on?

Example 2: I want to use and expression pedal for volume OR rotary speed. So I'd need to the null filter block (controlling the volume) to bypass at the same time as I turn on rotary block, so the volume would not change when I adjust the speed.

Do you get the idea? I might be missing something, but that's the way I've done it with Axe II and MFC.

As you’ve worked out. Control Switches will do all this and more.

I use one to turn on any modulation I want. What that is that’s dictated by the scene with the unused ones going to a channel with the mix at 0.

Or you could use a multiplexor

If you assign both Drive Bypass and Delay Bypass to the some footswitch, both will kick on with one stomp. Note, however, that those Bypass states will revert to whatever you have programmed when you change scenes.

I am not even sure how to assign many functions to a footswitch, since it seems (at least in the Axe-edit) I can only choose one function for tap and hold.

Yes, I'll try the control switches. Might be easier to figure this out when I actually get the FC... Now I'm just noodling with the Axe and Axe-Edit. Thanks!

I am not even sure how to assign many functions to a footswitch, since it seems (at least in the Axe-edit) I can only choose one function for tap and hold.
Control switches, as you noted above. Or External switches can be assigned to footswitches that are attached to the Axe or an FC.

Now I've got the FC, spent the last 6 hours with it. I am close to what I want, but not quite there yet.

I've tried to figure this out (since I did not get what I wanted with scenes): Is there a way to set more than one "control switch" to a physical switch (like CS1 and 2 working the same time) without using both tap and hold? Can I change more than one block channel (A to D) with one press (like changing the channel of an amp block AND a cab block at the same time)?

Also, have you experienced any delay with the looper "once" switch compared to front panel buttons? In my setup it seems a little slow. I do use hold functions in my "preset" layout, but not in the "looper" layout which I use with the looper. Could the delay still be due to using hold function?

Also, have you experienced any delay with the looper "once" switch compared to front panel buttons? In my setup it seems a little slow. I do use hold functions in my "preset" layout, but not in the "looper" layout which I use with the looper. Could the delay still be due to using hold function?
If the switch is the lower right corner switch that you're using for Once and you've got MLM access via two-switch pressed turned on there's always an implied hold function on the lower right switch as the unit needs to do a hold detect in case you hold and press the second switch to enter MLM mode.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, basically, but I am not sure if I can change a scene without affecting the bypass state of the effects.

Example 1: I'll have a dry clean sound for rhythm (scene 1 on the first switch). The I'll start a solo. I'll switch delay and volume boost on with the 5th and 6th switch. Then I'll want to add gain, and I'll switch scene 2 (drive) with the 2ns switch. Do the delay and volume boost still stay on?

Example 2: I want to use and expression pedal for volume OR rotary speed. So I'd need to the null filter block (controlling the volume) to bypass at the same time as I turn on rotary block, so the volume would not change when I adjust the speed.

Do you get the idea? I might be missing something, but that's the way I've done it with Axe II and MFC.

I’m pretty sure scenes will handle what you need. Scene are POWERFUL. That being said, you’ll probably need to experiment with block order and/or parallel routing to get the behavior you want.

My main problem with scenes is that I'd like somethings to change and some not as I change them. I'd like to change amps and cabs, but leave the effects at the state they where before changing scenes. As I'd have a multichannel amp and an independent effects unit or board. I don't like presets, as I rarely play in a situation where I could plan things in advance. I just need to get a variety of tones (my tones, not cover band tones) dialed in quickly as I play. And usually that means having shades of clean to overdrive with some rare effects (mainly wah, delay and reverb and some modulation).

I managed to do this with Axe II and MFC-101 using presets (using different amps in different presets, but effects staying on or off when changing them), but it wasn't easy. I used a "hybrid" technique with both Axe functions and midi commands. Now it seems I can't achieve this with the FC6. The main concern is of course the lack of buttons. I am on the waiting list for a FC12. But as I could get the FC6 now, I thought it'd be a good companion with the FM3 (whenever it's gonna be released), and I bought it.

It just seems that I'll need to get the FC12 to use with the Axe III.

Control Switches can do what you want, but you'll eventually run into limitations. For example the CS's can't switch channels, but the III has enough power that you can typically just throw another block on the grid to overcome this. I usually have all my CS switches set to "Last" for scene changes so they keep state across scene changes.

Here are some Wish List items that would help in this area:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/option-to-make-a-block-scene-independent.141532

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ability-to-exclude-blocks-from-scene-changes.138309/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-as-modifier-source-for-channel-select.149828

My main problem with scenes is that I'd like somethings to change and some not as I change them. I'd like to change amps and cabs, but leave the effects at the state they where before changing scenes. As I'd have a multichannel amp and an independent effects unit or board. I don't like presets, as I rarely play in a situation where I could plan things in advance. I just need to get a variety of tones (my tones, not cover band tones) dialed in quickly as I play. And usually that means having shades of clean to overdrive with some rare effects (mainly wah, delay and reverb and some modulation).

I managed to do this with Axe II and MFC-101 using presets (using different amps in different presets, but effects staying on or off when changing them), but it wasn't easy. I used a "hybrid" technique with both Axe functions and midi commands. Now it seems I can't achieve this with the FC6. The main concern is of course the lack of buttons. I am on the waiting list for a FC12. But as I could get the FC6 now, I thought it'd be a good companion with the FM3 (whenever it's gonna be released), and I bought it.

It just seems that I'll need to get the FC12 to use with the Axe III.

Just because you change scenes it doesn’t mean that every block has to change - some, or all, can stay the same! It’s simple...unless I’m totally missing an aspect of what you are trying to accomplish.

Just because you change scenes it doesn’t mean that every block has to change - some, or all, can stay the same! It’s simple...unless I’m totally missing an aspect of what you are trying to accomplish.
@savaitti wants to make changes that persist across scenes. For example: if you engage the Delay, and then change to a scene that has the Delay block bypassed, but you still want to keep the Delay engaged.

@savaitti wants to make changes that persist across scenes. For example: if you engage the Delay, and then change to a scene that has the Delay block bypassed, but you still want to keep the Delay engaged.

Exactly.

I usually have all my CS switches set to "Last" for scene changes so they keep state across scene changes.

This does not work for me. It does save the effect on/off state of the scene to be the same when I come back to it, but does not change the next scene I am going to. I'd like the effects to work independently. For example: I am in scene 1 and turn on delay. Then I change to scene 2, and I'd like the delay to be left on.

Control Switches can do what you want, but you'll eventually run into limitations. For example the CS's can't switch channels, but the III has enough power that you can typically just throw another block on the grid to overcome this. I usually have all my CS switches set to "Last" for scene changes so they keep state across scene changes.

Here are some Wish List items that would help in this area:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/option-to-make-a-block-scene-independent.141532

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ability-to-exclude-blocks-from-scene-changes.138309/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-as-modifier-source-for-channel-select.149828

You are right, the III has the muscle, but I'll be in trouble with the FM3...

Anyway thanks for your replies, I think I'll have to do some compromises with my settings.

Back
Top Bottom