Axe-Fx III and Roland FC300

jeffcox

Hello,
While waiting for the FC-12 to ship I thought I would try to program my Roland FC-300 to work with the AXEFXIII. I've been using MIDI CC's to enable/bypass various fx block - but when changing presets the AXFXIII reverts to what ever the default preset patch was saved as regardless of the state of the control switch - Its as if it doesn't check the state of the CC pedal -and suggestions?

That is expected behavior... Unless the Midi controller sends BOTH the PC and the state of all CCs (most midi pedals I've encountered do not), then you will get the blocks in the state they are saved in the preset.

Another way to turn on/off blocks via midi is to use an external controller of the axe-fx III. It has 16 of it. Using this method, effects keep their status, no matter you change to a different scene or preset. Effects remain in the same status until you send a different value. When you use a latching switch with an LED it's easy to keep switch and effect in sync. You can see if it's on or off.
You also can turn on/off effects, no matter if they are part of the running preset. Think of chorus that you have in the clean presets only. Once turned on, it stays on in your cleans, no matter if you play some distorted presets in the meantime, when you come back to clean, the chorus is still on.

How?
The main idea is that there is no direct connection from the midi-cc to a certain effect. You send the midi-cc to one of these 16 external contoller slots instead. Effects can read out the status of these slots, they are like post office boxes.
Reading out goes the way you setup a modifier on a controlable parameter of a block, for on/off this has to be the bypass parameter.

How good that works? I use it that way since I got the MFC-101 around 2009 or 2010 or so. It's some work to set it up, but then easy and reliable.

Back
Top Bottom