POWER AMP AND CABS .. HOW TO USE NOISE GATE ?

Tyler Papke

Cant get the noise gates to cut the feed back out or fast enough no matter where I put it in the chain.. even tried 2 noise gates... (I can only use the front panel for now because I don't have a computer to use the editing software...)
what's the trick? the clean channels sound amazing but i'm not getting solid tones out of the more heavy sounding amps.
Thanks in adavance for any help!

Please don't type thread titles in all caps.

Try putting the Gate block right after the Amp block. Then set Sidechain Select to: "Input 1", by sending a signal through shunts from the input to the Gate block.

Also, find out what's causing all that noise.

Last edited:
Cant get the noise gates to cut the feed back out or fast enough no matter where I put it in the chain.. even tried 2 noise gates... (I can only use the front panel for now because I don't have a computer to use the editing software...)
what's the trick? the clean channels sound amazing but i'm not getting solid tones out of the more heavy sounding amps.
Why is it feeding back? Solve that first.

I had tons of noise and I couldn't get it out with the noise gate without chopping sustain. There were two culprits. One if obvious and one had me scratching my head. My computer was spitting emi all over the place. I simply face away from it and that noise goes away. The weird one was my air purifier. For some reason standing next to that thing makes more noise than my PC. One I turned that thing off, I can get away with little to no gate depending on how much gain I use.

Bad pickups? Too much gain? Wrong IR? Bad EQing?

All the above are not things you should fix with a noise gate. Noise gates are for (background) noises that are not as loud as the main signals. Feedback squels can be very loud, so how should the gate know they are unwanted noises.

Yup, sounds like a microphonic pickup or too much gain. Post a clip of the noise, it will be much easier to narrow it down.

Also, use the cut in the cab block, set it to say 120hz-150hz and see if that fixes it. If it's a high pitched feedback it may be something else.

Please don't type thread titles in all caps.

Try putting the Gate block right after the Amp block. Then use its Sidechain Select, by sending a signal through shunts from the input to the Gate block.

Also, find out what's causing all that noise.

I could never figure out the sidechain thing, nor get it to work.

Do you have a photo of a preset with such a set up you could share and explain it a bit please?

I edited my previous post.

It's easy: just select "Input 1" as source for Sidechain Select. No need to add shunts to feed the Gate block.

What this does:
the Gate now listens to the signal at the start of the input, rather than at the position of the Gate block. This allows for better noise control. It's similar to how the ISP Decimator works.

I edited my previous post.

It's easy: just select "Input 1" as source for Sidechain Select. No need to add shunts to feed the Gate block.

What this does:
the Gate now listens to the signal at the start of the input, rather than at the position of the Gate block. This allows for better noise control. It's similar to how the ISP Decimator works.

Oh cool!!!! I didn't know you could do that! I LOVE my ISP decimators and don't leave home without one!! I will definitely put this to good use! Learn something everyday right? Thanks yek!!

Back
Top Bottom