Official statement bout AX8 updates needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I'd like to repeat something that's been said often enough: even as the pace of updates changes, the AX8 will remain a great product. It sounds fantastic, works reliably, and fills a unique niche both in our product portfolio and in the overall world of gear. It enjoyed updates at a rapid pace, keeping up to the extent possible with its contemporaries in terms of amp modeling and effects, plus it received many many "wish list" fulfillments as well as small tweaks designed to satisfy a few very happy fans. It remains an important piece of gear in the touring world, and we will continue to do all we can to support it. I think all of the above exemplifies the philosophy of Fractal Audio Systems to provide a high level of excellence -- through commitment as well as innovation -- in an industry that is generally "hit and run".

As we all know, things change. One of the reasons that the Axe-Fx III and FM3 were created is that the older products reached a point where future updates must be limited. While it isn't impossible that there could be an additional update (or updates) for the AX8, it is very much less likely. These would occur simply because a "right opportunity" presents itself to our engineers. Like all older products, however, AX8 is limited by its onboard resources (DSP, memory, etc.), by the increased complexity of implementing new ideas on an older platform, and by the fact that we as a small company must dedicate efforts not only towards our deeply rooted passion for extending value, but also towards advancement it in a quickly changing environment.

Again, you're not reading anything new here, but I understand and wanted to address the intense feelings that drive the use of a words like "update needed". To answer another question above: yes, the FM3 is about to have its time in the sun, with a long-lasting cycle of rapid updates I'd expect to be more similar to those for Axe-Fx III. Then, someday, in the digital distant future, it too will bask in the glory of of all it has become and step back to stand behind some new young champion, as is the way with all things.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to innovate.
Thank you for restating all of this again Fractal!

I love my AX8 how great it works in my world. Thanks for all the updates & help over the years on this, & all of your products.

I’m really looking forward to the FM3 & all that it has to offer.

I will be jumping on the FM3 when my name is called & always like to get in at the beginning of a products life cycle.

Peace! X

It remains an important piece of gear in the touring world, and we will continue to do all we can to support it. I think all of the above exemplifies the philosophy of Fractal Audio Systems to provide a high level of excellence -- through commitment as well as innovation -- in an industry that is generally "hit and run".

As we all know, things change. One of the reasons that the Axe-Fx III and FM3 were created is that the older products reached a point where future updates must be limited. While it isn't impossible that there could be an additional update (or updates) for the AX8, it is very much less likely. These would occur simply because a "right opportunity" presents itself to our engineers. Like all older products, however, AX8 is limited by its onboard resources (DSP, memory, etc.), by the increased complexity of implementing new ideas on an older platform, and by the fact that we as a small company must dedicate efforts not only towards our deeply rooted passion for extending value, but also towards advancement it in a quickly changing environment.

Again, you're not reading anything new here, but I understand and wanted to address the intense feelings that drive the use of a words like "update needed". To answer another question above: yes, the FM3 is about to have its time in the sun, with a long-lasting cycle of rapid updates I'd expect to be more similar to those for Axe-Fx III. Then, someday, in the digital distant future, it too will bask in the glory of of all it has become and step back to stand behind some new young champion, as is the way with all things.

The way I read it is: this is not AX8 EOL... and that made my day :)

Thanks FAS team!

Is it only me having the impression I need to read between the lines ?
I think a little of that is intended. With the way FAS is taken to task if one word is out of place with later happenings, I can see where them having the media plan "when the future isn't clear, don't be" while answering questions would be pretty reasonable.

What I got in reading it is that they'll continue to support it, and might have an update or two down the road, but the AX8 is no longer the young champion it was a touch over 4 years ago when it was announced. Of course, there are still Standards showing up on stages, so I don't think Matt is stretching things to say it'll still be around for some time to come. As long as it sounds good it, well.. sounds good! My guess is that the updates would be exactly what you are looking for, as Cliff is crazy about fixing bugs. Of course, that's me talking and I have zero to do with Fractal except sending funds their way.

That's what I got from it, admittedly as much from what was inferred as said. I think Matt is trying to be cordial, informative, and as predictive as this sort of thing permits without opening himself and FAS up to an untold number of rants should he put a date on something and it happens 30 seconds past that time. We've all seen it. In the eight years Ive been hanging around here, I have become fairly fluent in Fractalese. :)

Last edited:
I don't think Matt is stretching things to say it'll still be around for some time to come.

There have been quite a few AX8’s posted on Kijiji, here in Canada, since the FM3 was announced. The ads. aren’t up for long, so I’m assuming they have been selling quickly. The asking price is between $1,700-$1,800 CDN.

I think the AX8 will be a viable piece of gear for years to come. I would even venture to say the demand and price may actually go up.

to me an Ax8 is an Axfx 2 thats a floor unit minus the dual amps. Being able to play something like an AxFx2 is a dream. My Ax8 tone gets compliments all the time and as someone said, its not going to start soundning worse lol. So i still feel like I am playing with a really Professional Rig. I am curious about the FM3 though lol

as i've mentioned before, if people keep asking Cliff specifically to say the AX8 is done - which many are - then he'll do that eventually even if he had plans to update it. people can only be badgered for so long.

what if their work on the latest platform gives them ideas for the previous generation? it's happened before. let's let it happen again. anything is possible if we let it be.

No need to expect something. AX8 is great, and now we have the clear statement. If someone didn't captured well "AX8 is done". There will be no more updates unless some ressources will be available. It will never happens cause other products are in development and it's absolutely normal!
I think we all must say huge thanks to FAS team for such amazing unit and continuer to use it :)
That's all folks! :) I think we can stop all discussion about it and close all treads about updates - they are useless !!!

No need to expect something. AX8 is great, and now we have the clear statement. If someone didn't captured well "AX8 is done". There will be no more updates unless some ressources will be available. It will never happens cause other products are in development and it's absolutely normal!
I think we all must say huge thanks to FAS team for such amazing unit and continuer to use it :)
That's all folks! :) I think we can stop all discussion about it and close all treads about updates - they are useless !!!
Oh, the irony.

At this time this Friday ,all our ax8 will self destruct ,and we all won't have to worry about updates and bugs
Then we can all buy a FM3

Then, someday, in the digital distant future, it too will bask in the glory of of all it has become and step back to stand behind some new young champion, as is the way with all things.

Wow, what a great sentence!

Well, sincerely, the post don't say much at all aside what we already know (the developer problem, new products as focus, etc.)

One thing is certain: they are working in the FM3 full implementation of effects and features. and, of course, developing AxeFX III.

My bet (wishful thinking?): After the release and initial bug fixes for FM3, they 'may or may not' work in a final Ares + bug fixes FW for AX8. Maybe two (as AxeFXii).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom