New Cab Pack! FAR FIELD Session 1

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Fractal Audio Systems is proud to present FAR FIELD Session 1, an UltraRes™ Cab Pack containing 94 Impulse Response files in both SysEx and .IR formats.

This pack features a variety of captures in “far field” configurations. In comparison to a traditional near field IR, a far field IR offers a different sonic signature. In the near field, sound waves behave in a complex manner and are hard-to-predict. Small microphone movements in the near field can have a huge effect on the sound, making each individual IR less characteristic of the overall source. In the far field, the sound waves at a distance have grown larger and more consistent, with more diffuse and even tone as you change positions. Since we normally don't listen to guitar speakers at very close range, far field mic placements can sound interesting and even familiar. Use far field IRs on their own, or in combination with other IRs.

In this pack, the captures are labeled A through G, beginning as on axis and become increasingly off-axis.

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/far-field-session-1-ultrares-cab-pack/

You can use this pack with any UltraRes™ compatible product from Fractal Audio Systems including Axe-Fx III, FM3, AX8, and Axe-Fx II running Ultra-Res compatible firmware.
Far-Field-1.png

Near field Ir through one monitor, with a far field from a second monitor, facing a different direction, should no doubt sound pretty “amp in room” I bet :)

This is going to be interesting. I have a FF IR and use it 'round' out the sound of harsh sounding amps. Can't wait to hear what people think.

Is it fair to assume these IR's are RAW? I.e. MP transform is applied by CabLab and/or Axe-Edit III if so chosen?

Also can you share how these were captured?

Yeah, I’d love to hear some clips as well. I’m assuming these would really only be for headphones and bedroom playing, right? You probably wouldn’t want to use a far field IR live, or would you?

I'm excited about this one! But wondering why it's an UltraRes cab pack... are these far-field IRs captured with reflections?

Yeah, I’d love to hear some clips as well. I’m assuming these would really only be for headphones and bedroom playing, right? You probably wouldn’t want to use a far field IR live, or would you?
Also useful during recording and re-amping, mixing with other instruments.

If I remember correctly: Cooper Carter uses one in his masterclass to get a better amp in the room tone.

Have to try them..... :)

These far-field captures are intriguing. Blended with other IRS, they add a very “present” feel to your tone. A lot of them work very well by themselves, if you crank up to gig level. Solid amp tone without the the upper-midrange spike that you get when you close-mic.

I'm excited about this one! But wondering why it's an UltraRes cab pack... are these far-field IRs captured with reflections?

No, but there will be a bit of unavoidable reflection. Remember the resolution of the low end is also improved by UltraRes.

Back
Top Bottom