What are your opinions on running a sim cab into a real cab?

Chained 4 or 5 micd amps? What does that mean? Just curious

Guitar > Amplifier > Microphone > Amplifier > Microphone > Amplifier > Microphone > Recording desk

At the Axe-FX it would be:

Guitar > AMP > CAB > AMP > CAB >...

Guitar > Amplifier > Microphone > Amplifier > Microphone > Amplifier > Microphone > Recording desk

I'm curious as to how such a setup would look on stage. I have this mental image of several cabs standing in line with a mic and mic stand in between each of them.

This above says it all. I also use cab sim on with my 25 watt greenbacks. In my opinion, I have a pretty mean tone and I've gotten nothing but compliments since I made the switch to Fractal.

Rocket, there's no such word as "rediculous" in a tone sculpting thread. We're talking about the modeling world which also places us in the virtual world where nothing is impossible, nor should it be discredited or ignored. Because of what the possibilities "may" appear to be on paper in a real world situation, doesn't mean those same rules apply in the modeling, virtual world.

Everyone has their own interpretation of what good tone is. And right there, it is and always will be, subjective. I have presets that use cab modeling on, cab blocks in the presets and power amp modeling on while using a 25 watt greenback and Rocktron Velocity power amp. Scientifically it should sound terrible, but to me it sounds fantastic and I can't use those presets any other way.

In some sounds, cab sim off alters the tone so bad, it's crazy. Power amp sim off does the same. One of them (can't remember which right now) sounds so fizzy and loaded with high end, it makes certain sounds not even usable unless it's enabled. For other sounds, both need to be disabled. But all my main sounds have cab and power amp sim on while physically using a cab and power amp.

With any sound creation, recording or experiment, always try everything and let your ears decide. Science helps lead us towards the truth, but doesn't always hit the nail on the head when it comes to a particular outcome.

The best way I describe stuff like this to my recording students is, you can see a reading on an eq chart. Sometimes they look so good but the music sounds so bad. Other times, the eq chart is all over the place yet the music sounds great. Always let your ears be the judge. If it sounds good, it IS good.....even if you're the only one who thinks so.

Real talk man, real talk. I just got back from the field and am now reading this.

I always have my cab block last in my shcain, and have an effect loop in parallel, so that when I play gigs my cab sim'ed output goes directly to FOH, and output to goes into my SD Powerstage 180 (amazing poweramp) and into whatever cab is available on stage.

People argue that this way, you still get power amp sim from the axefx, but in my experience, it sounds better to leave this on anyway.

Back
Top Bottom