Allman Brothers kinda tone starting point?

I love the fact that a 50w Marshall stack wasn’t enough stage volume back then.

Do you have a link to a good source? I know they went through a ton of different amps over the years. Proof that tone is in the fingers. I would like to get something reasonably close.

Edit: I just saw your previous post. A better question would be, do you have any go to cab IRs for this type of sound?

Here is the surprise: the go-to cab is the 4x12 D120 JBL Factory cab. It;'s very clean. Used witha JTM 45 set uop to be loud but not crunchy. A little bit of fuzz to take edge off the highs. The "Bonus Classic Rock & Blues" AllmanJoy preset in original 700+ TonePack is the one in the video the preset.

Thought I had ported it over into the 1000+ pack (you still have to manually set up the harmonies thought in custom scales) but maybe ran out of time...will try to get into the firmware 5.x update coming soon!

Here is the surprise: the go-to cab is the 4x12 D120 JBL Factory cab. It;'s very clean. Used witha JTM 45 set uop to be loud but not crunchy. A little bit of fuzz to take edge off the highs. The "Bonus Classic Rock & Blues" AllmanJoy preset in original 700+ TonePack is the one in the video the preset.

Thought I had ported it over into the 1000+ pack (you still have to manually set up the harmonies thought in custom scales) but maybe ran out of time...will try to get into the firmware 5.x update coming soon!
That would be awesome! I'm updating the fenders and marshalls with your update now on the 3. Thanks for that BTW! After that, I'm going to try this out using your video for reference. Thanks for the hard work!

That and the neck pickup on a good Les Paul....
...and the new firmware. :) I set the fuzz face up and it sounds good but I have yet to turn it on because I found a video on YouTube of Dicky teaching how to play In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. Once again, oh man. I little slap back and a different, or more, reverb is in order. If you get the itch, maybe you should have another go with the 3. That is, if you have a couple hours of bliss. Thanks again Buddy!

Maybe this will help.

While this video is about custom harmonies from the sign Jessica, it does describe step-by-step how to build a a "Fillmore East" Allamsn brothers Les Paul sound. You can hear that great neck pickup tone in the video to know it's spot on.

Of course, PLAYING like Duane or Dickie, that's a separate issue!

The custom scale from the video (in case you want to reproduce it, Key of A Major) is:
A: 4 semi
A#: 4 semi
B: 3 semi
C: 4 semi
C#: 3 semi
D: 4 semi
D#: 4 semi
E: 5 semi
F: 4 semi
F#: 5 semi
G: 4 semi
G#: 4 semi

I also attached a transposing matrix spreadsheet to create the same scale in any other key you want as a new custom scale in regular and pentatonic.

Attachments

• Allman Bros Harmony Custom Scales By Key.csv
    1.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
We're doing some Allmans in one of my bands - I've just been using a Plexi and/or a Friedman. Hadn't thought of the Soldano - that's a good idea.

One of the tricky things with the Allman harmonies is when they stay strictly pentatonic. You end up with 4ths and 3rds intermixed.

Sorry, in germany and not paying enough attention...
Austin is spot on, with the D120 speakers. I use those IRs on OUT1. I send OUT2 to a SS amp and into a cab loaded with D120 speakers.

I also run a Marshall 50W plexi with a bassman OT and 6L6GC tubes, and/or that AF3 configuration. Try switching, to using more of your presence control as you would treble, and treble control more as you would presence.

Austin also mentions the LP and pickups. DA’s pickups were smoking. Went back and forth between neck and bridge (with some treble rolled off). The one bit that’s tough is whatever Tom Dowd and gang were up to, but one can only go so far, eh? There’s just something about Live at Fillmore recordings and DA’s last year, where his tone just catapults to a whole new level. For pickups, there are some really nice options. Gabriel Curry has a super great set. Peacocks are flipping phenomenal. I’ve been meaning to post a video with them, but haven’t been able to break free from Germany long enough, other than visits home and live gigs. Sad for me, man.

And back to the AF3, I’ve managed to dial things in pretty darn close, to mimic all things described in the amps and the recordings. I love this thing.

I have tried to nail the hot sound, and then dial it back for the sweeter, more subdued parts. Good examples are Elizabeth Reed, Whipping Post,You Don’t Love Me, Hot ‘Lanta, and throughout Mountain Jam.

All that said, so much depends on a good sound check in the specific venue. The space is the space.

Sorry, in germany and not paying enough attention...
Austin is spot on, with the D120 speakers. I use those IRs on OUT1. I send OUT2 to a SS amp and into a cab loaded with D120 speakers.

I also run a Marshall 50W plexi with a bassman OT and 6L6GC tubes, and/or that AF3 configuration. Try switching, to using more of your presence control as you would treble, and treble control more as you would presence.

Austin also mentions the LP and pickups. DA’s pickups were smoking. Went back and forth between neck and bridge (with some treble rolled off). The one bit that’s tough is whatever Tom Dowd and gang were up to, but one can only go so far, eh? There’s just something about Live at Fillmore recordings and DA’s last year, where his tone just catapults to a whole new level. For pickups, there are some really nice options. Gabriel Curry has a super great set. Peacocks are flipping phenomenal. I’ve been meaning to post a video with them, but haven’t been able to break free from Germany long enough, other than visits home and live gigs. Sad for me, man.

And back to the AF3, I’ve managed to dial things in pretty darn close, to mimic all things described in the amps and the recordings. I love this thing.

I have tried to nail the hot sound, and then dial it back for the sweeter, more subdued parts. Good examples are Elizabeth Reed, Whipping Post,You Don’t Love Me, Hot ‘Lanta, and throughout Mountain Jam.

All that said, so much depends on a good sound check in the specific venue. The space is the space.
Really cool. Thanks for the reply. I’d love to check out a preset if you didn’t mind sharing.

Back
Top Bottom