Axe-Fx II Ares with Friedman ASC-12 question

Anybody besides me find that the Friedman asc-12 has a definite mid scoop? I'm running an axe FX 2 with The ares software and find that the Friedman cab seems very smooth and boomy on the lowend. I do have the low-cut switch on. Still it doesn't seem to be a very aggressive sounding cabinet. When I was using cheap PA speakers there was a definite pronounced mid-range by it but I'm having a hard time getting that out of the freidman. Don't get me wrong the freedmen sounds way better than what I was using but it seems very nice. Doesn't seem to have the chunk and bite I'm use to. Thoughts?

I don't find that at all with the ASC-10, I find it fairly balanced. Not sure how different they are but I really didn't like my ASM-12, too boomy for sure.

Is there a particular way you set up you ax fx and freidman level wise? It just seems a little lacking in the volume department. If I push it any harder it starts to compress and then doesn't sound great.

If I can recall correctly (I'm at work not in front of my gear), my output levels are around -2 to -6 and my output 1 knob is around 3 oclock. I get the ASM turned to a little over half and its LOUD! Increase the out put on your Axe.

Maybe I have something set wrong. I'll check it when I get home today. Seems like a 500 watts it should just destroy the room.lol

I don't hear a mid scoop at all. If anything, I hear more mids in the Friedman that I do in most FR cabs which is why I like it. At gig volumes it pushes very good and sounds more like a guitar cabinet than anything else I've found. As far being boomy, I don't really have that issue either. In a band setting, I find it thumps nicely. By itself, at low volumes it may sound a lilttle boomy but on a stage with the rest of the band, it sits perfectly to my ears. Maybe you're pushing too much low end in the presets?

Could be. Could also be the positioning of the cab in the room I suppose. I tried pushing more output from the ax and it still compresses the tone at rehearsal volumes. I normally keep my presets just tickling the line in the vu meter so there's somewhere to go for a lead boost. Master volume is 4.0 output levelocity is -10.0db in the amp block. Main output level is 0.00db. The freidman is set at pretty much right at 12 o clock. If I turn output level 1 up to band volume the Friedman just turns into a squishy compressor like I have a dyna comp on the output. No dynamics just squish.

Attachments

• 20190507_092637.jpg
    20190507_092637.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190507_092630.jpg
    20190507_092630.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190507_092604.jpg
    20190507_092604.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 11
Out or curiosity, what amp model(s) are you using?

FWIW, I have my presets volume balanced and have Axe output knob at noon and typically run the Friedman volume knob at 1:00-2:00. I have not experienced squish or over compression. It sounds punchy and full with clarity. Not in front of my unit now, but I do remember I cut some low end in the Global EQ.

I use mainly the marshall #34, jvm, Herbert, soldano x88 and a high gain tube preamp I built. I lowered some lows in the global eq and that seemed to help. I might have it sorted out. Here's a picture of my ax rig along with the preamp I built.

Back
Top Bottom