Recent experience with Axe-Fx III and concerns

Snouttrout

Inspired
I received my Axe FX 3 nearly a week ago and I've a had a chance to use it in a few different scenarios. I thought I would run these experiences by the users and see if you have suggestions. I have been experimenting with the JP2C yellow and red models. I took the two cab models from the factory Petrucci preset. Then I used the recommended settings described on the boogie page:

Yellow channel:
Gain 6.5
Master 4
Presence 7
Treble 5
Middle 4
Bass 2.5

EQ 1 Settings
80hz +6db
220hz +5.5db
750hz -5.5db
2200hz +3.5db
6600hz +5db

Red Channel:
Gain 8.5
Master 4.5
Presence 6
Treble 5.5
Middle 4.5
Bass 3

EQ 1 Settings
80hz +6db
220hz +5.5db
750hz -5db
2200hz +3db
6600hz +4db

(I know that I may need to tweak these setting my my set-up, but I thought I needed to start from somewhere, and I have no previous experience with Mesa Boogie amps. I'm curious if you have used these kinds of JP2C EQ settings with a live band. My past experiences with cutting the mids and boosting the highs (in the graphic eq in this case) has never worked in live settings for me. I've always had to use a smiley face EQ. )

I also use the 2db high frequency boost to approximate shred mode for the yellow channel.

1. Two JBL 308P MK II studio monitors:

The AXE Fx III sounds really amazing through these monitors. It was really easy to get something to sound very good. Rhythm and leads sounded great, although I was surprised that the JP2C yellow channel with gain on 6 makes you work a bit, but it sounds nice and tight. (Does JP use a boost up front?) The lead on channel 3 just blew me away. No complaints here. Everything sounded great.

2. Real Mesa Boogie 4x12 Oversized Cab and Carvin TS100 tube power amp (I'm using this power amp until my matrix GT1000FX arrives):

It took me a a while to figure out how to do this, but I essentially turned the cabinet modeling off. I didn't change anything else. It sounded very good. I cranked the power amp and felt the floor shake! Heavy, punchy, and tight. Smooth lead tones.

3. One EV ZLX P 12" PA.

I used the scenes in the preset I had programmed with my JBL monitors with the suggested EQ. This sounded like garbage. I had everything flat on the PA, and the settings simply didn't translate well at all to the PA.

CONCERNS:

1. I am concerned that if the AXE sounds bad through my PA, then I will sound bad on other PAs. Perhaps this is teaching me a real lesson about FRFR. I am currently considering either a pair of Matrix FR12P cabs or Xitone 12 in cabs and use them with my forthcoming GT1000FX power amp. Would these cabs be loud enough with a real drummer? Do they have the sound of miced 4x12s? ( I might be the only person in the world who prefers the sound a SM57 on a cab as compared to the cab itself.) Anyway, maybe may PA is not very good.

2. I'm very concerned about editing settings on the AX3 in a live setting, as I don't own a laptop. Is there a trick to getting to EQ settings quickly? I mostly intend to use the AX3 for live use, so this is really important to me. Perhaps you have some suggestions? I generally only get about 45 minutes for performance so I can't spend a lot of time searching the things I might need to change on the fly, namely amp EQ and delay levels.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or comments you might have. Thank you!

I would suggest using the power amp and cab (mic'd) for performances and go direct to FOH at rehearsals or sound checks until you're comfortable with the tone. It's easy enough to plug the mic xlr into the Axe-Fx III, simply plug the xlr back into the mic if it's still not sounding right to you.

Make sure to discuss with the sound engineer what you are doing and hoping to figure out. Most will work with you if you're upfront when trying new things. This has worked with just about every engineer I've talked to and is much better than trying to "sneak" things past them. You'll get nowhere very fast that way, it's a good way to get lost in the mix.

How loud did you have it on your JBLs? Try getting both systems in a big room and turn them both up to the same volume.

My Axe sounded like garbage on my first day through my JBL EONs. Tinny and lifeless. The big breakthrough was simply to turn them up. I can’t even remember what else I did, but I persisted with learning about the settings and now I am very, very happy.

When playing live, I also run through a PA, but our band controls the mix. I just ask for flat and then set up a loop while I walk around the venue, and usually just ask for some minor eq adjustments.

3. One EV ZLX P 12" PA.

I used the scenes in the preset I had programmed with my JBL monitors with the suggested EQ. This sounded like garbage...the settings simply didn't translate well at all to the PA.
Then don't use those settings live through the PA. Instead, use settings that work for you.

First rule of EQ: Dial it so it sounds right to you. Don't worry about making it match a snapshot of what somebody else did in a different room with different gear.

CONCERNS:

I'm very concerned about editing settings on the AX3 in a live setting, as I don't own a laptop. Is there a trick to getting to EQ settings quickly?
The trick is to dial in your tones at live levels at rehearsal, before you ever get to the gig. If your tone sits well in the mix in that situation, it'll mix the same way at the gig, too.

When I'm not 100% about my FX3 settings, I try to set up a laptop at rehearsal and run Axe-Edit. Makes it very easy to make tweaks.

I know you said it sounded good through your studio monitors but go into the CAB block and set the lo cut to about 125hz and the hi cut to to about 6500hz. I check this first if a preset doesn't sound good to start with.

Does anything (other than pre-recorded music) sound good through that speaker?

I bought the PA for the vocalist. I haven’t done much testing other then using my DV Mark Multiamp. That cab sims on that modeler don’t sound great to my ear.

How loud did you have it on your JBLs? Try getting both systems in a big room and turn them both up to the same volume.

My Axe sounded like garbage on my first day through my JBL EONs. Tinny and lifeless. The big breakthrough was simply to turn them up. I can’t even remember what else I did, but I persisted with learning about the settings and now I am very, very happy.

When playing live, I also run through a PA, but our band controls the mix. I just ask for flat and then set up a loop while I walk around the venue, and usually just ask for some minor eq adjustments.

The JBLs sounded great at all volumes.

I would suggest using the power amp and cab (mic'd) for performances and go direct to FOH at rehearsals or sound checks until you're comfortable with the tone. It's easy enough to plug the mic xlr into the Axe-Fx III, simply plug the xlr back into the mic if it's still not sounding right to you.

Make sure to discuss with the sound engineer what you are doing and hoping to figure out. Most will work with you if you're upfront when trying new things. This has worked with just about every engineer I've talked to and is much better than trying to "sneak" things past them. You'll get nowhere very fast that way, it's a good way to get lost in the mix.
I would be comfortable with a real cab as it sounded really good.

I have the same problem. It’s sounds great through my cab with a matrix gt1000 power amp but sounds bad through my ev zlx it doesn’t sound great. It’s hard to say without hearing it the band context so Next gig I’m gonna go through foh and see what it sounds like. I almost think the zlx eq might be the problem. I played through my in ears and it sound kind of tubby because I tried adding bass to get rid of the thinness from the ev monitor.

I have the same problem. It’s sounds great through my cab with a matrix gt1000 power amp but sounds bad through my ev zlx it doesn’t sound great. It’s hard to say without hearing it the band context so Next gig I’m gonna go through foh and see what it sounds like. I almost think the zlx eq might be the problem. I played through my in ears and it sound kind of tubby because I tried adding bass to get rid of the thinness from the ev monitor.

That model of the EV are the least expensive. I wonder if they do not accurately produce the AxeFX. I’m looking into the Matrix FR12p or Xitone 12 p. Any experience with FRFR?

I have cheap Alto TS212 and TS310s - anything I dial in with those or with my Xitone sounds great just about anywhere - maybe it's the style or amps? I tend to use the classic Fenders and Marshalls though, and not high gain so not sure.

That model of the EV are the least expensive. I wonder if they do not accurately produce the AxeFX. I’m looking into the Matrix FR12p or Xitone 12 p. Any experience with FRFR?

No, I haven’t tried any frfr. I figured a monitor would be suffice.

I have cheap Alto TS212 and TS310s - anything I dial in with those or with my Xitone sounds great just about anywhere - maybe it's the style or amps? I tend to use the classic Fenders and Marshalls though, and not high gain so not sure.

I even have a hard time with low gain stuff, sounds very thin and artificial like the op stated. I might take my fractal to gc and try some different monitors.

I'm not familiar with the JBL 308's, but I have a set of LSR4328's in my studio and they're fairly crisp at the top end. If I use them to dial in a guitar tone, that same tone is a bit dull going direct to FOH on most systems. I have a set of Mackie HR824's, and tones dialed in on them seem to translate a little better across various PA systems. I typically use those and a set of JBL EON 515's that I keep in my studio for creating patches. If I can get something that sounds good on both the Mackie's and the EON's, it's almost a sure bet that it'll translate well to most PA's.

Something else to keep in mind: when you’re listening through your studio monitors (or anything else), you’re also listening to the room you’re in. Different room, different resonances, different sound.

Something else to keep in mind: when you’re listening through your studio monitors (or anything else), you’re also listening to the room you’re in. Different room, different resonances, different sound.

This could actually be the problem. I considered it, but not seriously until you mentioned it.

My JBLs sound great at home, but the PA is in the rehearsal garage.

I think I’ll take the PA home and try play loudly and see if it sounds better. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom