[fixed] Cannot access MLM from Layout 2 - ideas?

ZenRigs Man

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi all!

Got my FC6 this week and loving it - amazed at the flexibility and ease of setup - well done Fractal! Also having a lot of fun now finalising my board and getting various bits together for some new 'stuff' I'm working on. More on that later...

However, I've managed to do something that I'd rather know how to undo rather than resetting it and starting over. For some reason, I can no longer access the MLM using the special switch combo (which is enabled) from Layout 2. It's only this layout - it works fine from everywhere else, but go onto Layout 2 (scenes) and it just won't work.

Is there something I could have set as an override that would stop this working just on this one layout? I can't see how as it seems to be a global setting that should work everywhere. Does it on every patch - mine and factory.

All ideas welcome!

Cheers,
Sukh

eTGszb1.jpg

Nothing should prevent the MLM from any Layout. Hmm.

Exactly what I thought Chris. I've ended up having to put it on the hold for switch 3 at the moment (which actually works quite well, but that's besides the point).

How best to investigate the cause?

Hi bro, what "action" is assigned to the Tap and Hold (if any) function of the two right most switches on your layout 2?

Hi bro, what "action" is assigned to the Tap and Hold (if any) function of the two right most switches on your layout 2?
Brother Diego!

On my own patches, I'm user Per Preset overrides for both switches.

So, for a particular patch, switch 6 is a Per Preset Override with Tremolo one bypass as the tap, no hold function. Switch 3 is also a Per Preset Override, with Pitch bypass for the tap and now the MLM function as hold.

I've tried removing all assignments from these 2 switches and left as 'unassigned' and it's made no difference

Wow - ok, here's weird... just tried something that makes the MLM function work on Layout 2.

If I first activate whatever is on switch 3, or even press switch 3 if it has nothing assigned to it at all, and THEN do the MLM move, it works. How odd!

I'll video it and upload. I'm sure I've done something odd here.

Hang on, back in a bit...

Right, here it is. A little more detail on my setup

Layout 1 consists of my 6 main gigging presets.

Each button has a layout link enabled, taking you to layout 2 for that preset

On Layout 2, each switch is set up with a Per Preset Override to do what I need the switches to do for that preset. From this location, the MLM combo does not work as expected. When you try the move, it briefly flashes up the MLM layout but then goes straight back to layout 2. HOWEVER, if you press switch 3 first (even if there's nothing assigned to it in the scene for this preset) and THEN do the MLM combo, it works and takes you to the MLM.

What I've also found is that if, once you're actually IN the MLM and select the Scenes layout (2) from here, the MLM combo works once you get into the MLM.

Very hard to video the LCDs, but I've tried to show what's going on here.

btw - I called the MLM layout 7 in the video - I mean layout 9 of course. I have a cold (you can probably hear it) - I blame the cold. :)

Last edited:
Been playing some more and got frustrated so reset the FC from the front panel of the Axe III.

Started from scratch and ended up with exactly the same issue, but a bit more information.

If I set up a layout link from any switch on layout 1 to go to another layout (I've tried linking to layout 2 and layout 3) then the MLM combo won't work. Doing the MLM move here, all the mini LCDs briefly show the MLM layout functions and it then reverts to the layout I was on.

The only way it works is if, as I detailed above, you first press switch 3, even if it has nothing assigned to it, and then do the MLM move, and then it takes you to the MLM.

@BryantP - is it OK if I send you a backup of my System + Global Blocks + FC settings to take a look at what's causing this?

Thanks
Sukh

Further testing - this only happens when I set up layout link for switches 3 and 6 (in ANY layout). If I disable Layout Link for those two switches, all is good again.

Sent info and backups to BryantP. Will report back when I have an update!

Last edited:
Quick update folks.

The very lovely @BryantP has verified this as a bug and will slap it in the 'nads for a future release (along with another 'odd' one I found while setting up my FC6). Thanks for the quick reply buddy :)

Bloody amazing bit of kit though - ridiculously well thought out. Very well done (and thank you) Fractal.

Sukh

Back
Top Bottom