AC amp type issues...

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Just got my III last week, just as amazing as expected. My only problem is I'm having trouble dialing in my typical tones that I've used on the II and the AX8 for years. 99% of the time I use the Matchless DC30 into a Vox type cab with whatever speakers I'm enjoying at the moment....typically Gold's and Greenbacks or Blues. For some reason there is, for lack of a better term, a "clankiness" that I can't seem to get rid of, no matter the IR or the Amp. I've tried the Matchless, Morgan, Boutique, all the AC's....it's just there.

Now, I'm a HUGE Fractal proponent and have the utmost respect for the work Cliff and the team does...and will readily admit perhaps this is totally accurate and the II and AX8 weren't able to show this level of detail...but I've also played these types of amps my whole life and have never struggled with it before. (I have 3 Matchless HC30's in my office right now)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm just used to this big, rich, defined chime and I'm just not there...yet.

(also, this is with 7 different guitars, so it's not a guitar issue)

Are you able to capture the "clankiness" in a recording? Not an issue with other amps (e.g. Fender, Marshall)?

My best guess is the IR. I've found that any old IR of a Blue or Gold doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the AC character. Honestly, it's the hardest amp for me to nail in the whole box, very fickle

I have thousands of IR's, I've tried mixes and single mic's. I've just always been able to dial these with no problem whatsoever, really surprising to have issues now.

I'll try to later when I'm dialing in patches for the weekend.

It would also be useful to hear a recording from one of your older Fractal units in comparison if that’s possible so we can hear the difference in context?

Glad you got a III at last Jason! Was wondering when you were going to make the jump!

I don't notice this at all, I have the axe since a few days too and the AC-20 (EF86 treble) coupled with Larry Mitchell AC-20 IR has probably become my new favourite clean amp, I've been stuck on that amp model for the last couple hours..

I don't notice this at all, I have the axe since a few days too and the AC-20 (EF86 treble) coupled with Larry Mitchell AC-20 IR has probably become my new favourite clean amp, I've been stuck on that amp model for the last couple hours..

Agree wholeheartedly ! The AC20 with the Larry Mitchell IR is a favorite of mine for sure.

Back
Top Bottom