Intro, and Axe-Edit MIDI issue

Sphen

Hi

I recently acquired a Standard and an Ax8, so i'm relatively new to the family.

In trying to get the Std working with Ax-Edit, it seems I can only send midi to the device, but not get messages back. So, I can edit sorta kinda, but I cant sync, recall presets and cabs from the device etc.

Anyone experienced this? Possible dead MIDI out jack on the Std?

I'm using Mac OS with a MIO usb to midi interface.

Verified the MIO works.

IDs match.

Latest Firmware

Also tried on a Windows machine with same result.

AxEdit version from the legacy downloads on the FAS site. (i tried installing an older version but MacOs barked at me about a newer version already installed even though I uninstalled it)

I cant post URLs yet, but I did find this support bulletin that says:

The following steps outline how to create a new MIDI configuration on OSX.

1. Power down and disconnect all MIDI devices with the exception of the Axe-Fx or AX8.
  2. Launch the Audio MIDI Setup application.
  3. Go to Window->MIDI Studio.
  4. In the MIDI Studio window select Configuration->New Configuration...
  5. Name the configuration anything you want ("Clean") and click OK.
  6. Make sure your Fractal audio product appears in the new configuration.
  7. Launch Fractal-Bot to test the new configuration. Selecting your device in step 1 should display three green checks. If this works, try the editor (Axe-Edit or AX8 Edit).

Is this a necessary step to get the Std to connect? Is there an existing thread with help on this?

Last edited:
Hello,

I've got same issue with my Axe FX Ultra.
Only able to send Data, no receiving or syncing possible.

I used an old RomI/O USB to MIDI device that worked before with the FCB1010 but no way.

Then i've found a compatible Roland driver (Win7 and modified it for Win10) that worked with my other old Swissonic USB2MIDI device.
And due to that many users got problems with the Swissonic (me too with Win7 and FCB1010) the device working fine now with both Axe FX AND FCB1010.

So i think your USB2MIDI device or driver is not capabale or compatible with the Axe FX.

Try another MIDI2USB device.

Thanks people!

In reading thru posts here it seems a lot of folks had good luck with the Midisport - i just located a used one on the cheap so will give that a shot.

Kinda boggles my mind that the interface would matter....it either sends midi data or not...?

A buddy of mind tried his um-one on it and it wouldnt work....

MIDI is a serial data transmission and the hardware may could have problems with the MIDI interface because of buffersize and latency or speed. And if the driver is not working well with the device so you got no chance to get a stable connection. May you are connected but during sending or receiving more than a single command, let's say sending a bank or presets or cab-sims, the connection is not stable enough or got not the optimal parameters and break down or running in to timeout.

got it working with a midisport and beta .9 of the editor version!

sadly it doesnt seem to work with newer versions of the editor - that beta version is quite incomplete. in particular, the newer editors would let you use an additional midi in and route it "thru" so you could still use your footcontroller while connected to PC midi also.

sadly it doesnt seem to work with newer versions of the editor - that beta version is quite incomplete. in particular, the newer editors would let you use an additional midi in and route it "thru" so you could still use your footcontroller while connected to PC midi also.
It's not incomplete, it's 10 yrs old... and there are ways to use the foot controller and AE at the same time. I wrote a wiki article on how to do that back in 2011
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/gen1/...e:MFC_And_AxeEdit_Working_Together&oldid=3641

The version of AxeEdit needed for Standard and Ultra is v0.9.191 for both Mac and PC.

It (Std/Ultra v11 f/ware) will NOT work with any of the V3 versions of AE as the underlying topology was completely re-written as the old one was getting far to complex supporting off-line editing (which v3 does not)!

Did you try 1.0.318? That has the MIDI merge option in setup menu. (Don't worry about the folder saying Axe-FX II; this was the last version that still included standard/Ultra compatibility.)

http://archive.axefx.fr/AxeFX II/AxeEdit/Legacy versions/For firmware 7.x or earlier/

Also- does anyone know how to -completely- uninstall AE on Mac? I installed a newer version but wanted to roll back to an old version, but even after removing it from applications, the system wouldnt let me install, saying that there is a newer version installed already.

I ended up having to install .9 on a different disk to get it to go.

Back
Top Bottom