Hold/freeze function like Strymon Timeline/Big Sky

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Hello! For those who already know (and don't know), the strymon timeline and big sky have a really cool feature where you can hold down whichever button of the patch you're using on the unit, and whatever you played during that will stay on as long as you hold the button down, essentially forever until you let go, AND has the option to keep stacking what you play or feed into it. Can this be done with the Axe Fx iii and the FC12 in the same fashion? I use this a lot at church with my pedals and amp, and would love to be able to mimic this with my Axe Fx setup if I need/decide to use this instead.

Thanks!

look at the Owner's Manual for the Hold function in the Delay and Reverb blocks, and also consider the Looper.

look at the Owner's Manual for the Hold function in the Delay and Reverb blocks, and also consider the Looper.
I'm familiar with the hold function somewhat. To my limited knowledge, it freezes the first thing you play. What my question is is if I can set up the axe fx to behave like the strymon does so that I can keep stacking things while holding down the button of my delay or reverb (or I suppose any button for that matter), and then have it fade away when I let go of the button? It's perfect for on the fly and in the moment stuff.

So, the time has come to try and figure this out haha The FC is sick by the way! NOW, as far as setting this up to work like a strymon pedal, how do I do this? Ideally, I'd like to be able to freeze ANYTHING I play. I always do this at church with volume swells, essentially making chords and different ambient sounds which turn into pad like sounds. Is there a way to set this up so that I can hold a button on the FC, volume swell notes in, and let it keep adding until I tell it not to? Keep in mind, I don't have any expression pedals yet; I'd like to do this just with the FC12.

On a similar note, can the hold function on reverb (or delay for that matter) be used on one of the FC switches without having to use an expression pedal?

Yes... You can assign a Control Switch as a modifier.
Thank you! Is there a way I can use this hold function to keep stacking sounds over and over? I know the hold just grabs the first thing it seems, but I would like to be able to keep adding to the hold. How would I achieve this?

I'm not very knowledgeable of the looper and how to use it to do what I want, but maybe that could be utilized. I essentially want to be able to create pads like a keyboard could by stacking notes that swell in and sustain for as long as I choose.

Actually, this is perfect! This is essentially exactly the type of stuff I do with the Big Sky. I want to be able to mimic this behavior just like this. Please tell me this is feasible! haha

The hold feature doesn't do what you're asking for.
Did you watch the video? I'm looking to accomplish the "infinite" style of what strymon does. Even more so, it would be awesome to hold down the button, have the axe fx keep adding notes, let go, and have it keep holding those notes to be able to play over without adding, and then hold again to add more notes. BUT, if that can't happen, just the simple "infinite" style would be great (same workflow as strymon; hold down keeps adding, release fades them away).

Did you watch the video? I'm looking to accomplish the "infinite" style of what strymon does. Even more so, it would be awesome to hold down the button, have the axe fx keep adding notes, let go, and have it keep holding those notes to be able to play over without adding, and then hold again to add more notes. BUT, if that can't happen, just the simple "infinite" style would be great (same workflow as strymon; hold down keeps adding, release fades them away).
I understand what you're asking for. The Hold feature doesn't do it.

As I mentioned before, use the Looper. You can record what you want and overdub layers infinitely.

I understand what you're asking for. The Hold feature doesn't do it.

As I mentioned before, use the Looper. You can record what you want and overdub layers infinitely.

Ahh got ya! My apologies. Bummer! I would've thought there was a way to achieve this. I don't have much experience with loopers, so I'll have to look into it. I don't want things to loop so to speak (a volume swell up, and the swell always repeats), I just want notes to fade in and sustain in one constant seamless way.

Back
Top Bottom