Windows 10 Sucks!

Really? I've done professional dev work in Macs without problem. I would hardly consider it a "kids" computer or interface.

I’ve used all kinds of Os interfaces in my career, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 7,8,10, OSX, Ubuntu + Unity, Ubuntu + Gnome, Ubuntu + Mutter, RedHat + Gnome, Solaris + CDE, Suse + KDE.

They all have quirks but you adapt. I personally prefer OSX - of all the interfaces I've used it's the most sensible so far IMHO.
Over the years, I've also worked on most of the OS's on your list, but I can add Haiku and BSD to it :)
I find the apple interfaces to be designed for non-computer types. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm not saying it can't be used for professional dev work. I have a co-worker who LOVES apple in all shapes and forms, and has a company assigned Apple laptop. He has a number of work related issues with it - such as network certs - that the Win10/7 machines don't. I tell him to get around them he needs a windows box :)

Each to their own on preferred interfaces. I don't like the Apple UI's. Sure you can get used to it, but being a tech type I find it really annoying.

That why I hate Bill Gates.
A multi Billionare.... and his system is flawed to the 100th degree.
And then theres Google... everything they do works well

Just a small note: Bill Gates is NOT the designer, architect, whatever you want to call it of Windows. Some Decades ago, yes. Also to say you"hate" the ONLY multi billionaire that gives his money away for causes and humanity is kind of well, strange.

While i"m firmly in the camp that Win10 is a mess and MS has screwed up everything, I will still take it any day of the week over OSX. I've been working with OSX in various capacities since 10.2 Jaguar in 2003 through today, and I have spent all of the years since then despising that horrendous abomination of a user interface.

That said, when Apple changes something in the UI it usually serves a clear user-facing purpose. There's thought and goals behind it, even if I hate everything they do on desktop. MS changes stuff for dumbass reasons (if there's even an obvious reason) and usually to serve marketing or business purposes with UX way down the list of priorities. A lot of the defenses of MS design decisions are basically "yeah but it works better on tablet/touch" which is bullshit for two reasons. One, that's a stupid design motivation. Two, and this is the big one, Windows touch interface is goddamn terrible. So the argument is that now it's equally bad for usability no matter what you're doing! Awesome.

As far as the Linux world, I like their desktop environments quite a bit, Cinnamon and XFCE in particular. Pity the rest of those systems are complete garbage for daily usability.

FWIW , I did not see a single PC anywhere at the Axefest, indeed nor at the Ampshow in general.....

Yup And you also will not find any in most major studios. Come on now, we all know the story, MAcs first in studios decades ago so pro tools in most studios, etc, etc.
Hoping this thread does not turn into one of those ridiculous my dad can beat up your dad type OS discussions.

FWIW , I did not see a single PC anywhere at the Axefest, indeed nor at the Ampshow in general.....
Yup And you also will not find any in most major studios. Come on now, we all know the story, MAcs first in studios decades ago so pro tools in most studios, etc, etc.
Hoping this thread does not turn into one of those ridiculous my dad can beat up your dad type OS discussions.
It's not just momentum and habit. Look, I'll be the first to defend Windows on a lot of technical issues, and IMO the underlying system design for OSX is mediocre at best. But the Windows audio stack is really just not very good, with people constantly fighting with ASIO drivers and buffer sizes and all this stuff. Hell, look at how many people can't get Axe Edit to connect because Chrome is open or some stupid MIDI garbage. Meanwhile on the Apple side of the fence, Core Audio nearly always just works with no fuss or nonsense. I don't begrudge anyone choosing to do audio production on a Mac.

It's not just momentum and habit. Look, I'll be the first to defend Windows on a lot of technical issues, and IMO the underlying system design for OSX is mediocre at best. But the Windows audio stack is really just not very good, with people constantly fighting with ASIO drivers and buffer sizes and all this stuff. Hell, look at how many people can't get Axe Edit to connect because Chrome is open or some stupid MIDI garbage. Meanwhile on the Apple side of the fence, Core Audio nearly always just works with no fuss or nonsense. I don't begrudge anyone choosing to do audio production on a Mac.

Hi, I understand all that. I have NO issues with Win 10 x64 Pro and never had any with 7 or 8.1. I record every week using Sonar (been there forever), decades and I also use reaper and Soundforge Pro 11.Zero audio issues And I even have an Echo Layla 3G which uses a PCi slot. I do not have any PCI slots, the board is a Asus Prime Z370-A and it flies with 32GB hi performance ram. But I mention the PCI Layla because Echo swears it will NOT work with an adapter. Well it does with no issues at all. That info came to me from a forum member on the old Cakewalk website. A StarTech PCi to PCI Exprress adapter and a bit of ingenuity and the Echo Layla 3G runs great.
So I guess it depends on the person. Yes, I am a retired tech which helps but not essential. Asio drivers are great for me and they are about 5 years old.

I started on Macs long ago but decided I wanted to get into the tech biz and at that time macs were not near as popular for the masses. So I switched. I did enjoy the macs I had at that time.

BTW I recall a ton of threads about MAcs and usb with axe edit. remember those. o, anyway, it's all good. Audio is fine for me......

Just a small note: Bill Gates is NOT the designer, architect, whatever you want to call it of Windows. Some Decades ago, yes. Also to say you"hate" the ONLY multi billionaire that gives his money away for causes and humanity is kind of well, strange.

A lot of the 19th industrial robber barons of the 19th century also gave away heavily to charity. But only after they amassed their fortune using all sorts heavy handed and sometimes illegal ways. There's a reason why the US government finally adopted anti-trust laws. Similarly Bill Gates, as head of Microsoft, also vehemently used every dirty trick in the book to eliminate any competition in the OS and internet browser markets. Remember Netscape?

Just because these wealthy industrialists suddenly develop a conscience after they retire and start a new career in philanthropy does that make up for their ruthless tenure as industrialists?

I'm going to come from a completely different angle on this. There are a lot of IT people and programmers here who all come from a very technical place. I am speaking for the "basic" consumer who has basic computer skills. I do not delve into any advanced parameters, I'm not doing assembly language on these things - just basic functions that most people who use computers do.
I use a windows machine all day at work, and I have all apple products at home, imac, MacBook, and iphones.
My experience is this :

Windows - I believe our computers here have windows 7 pro on them - UI is clunky - sometimes things work, sometimes they don't - get the " out of memory" message constantly and computer locks up - meanwhile, its not even close to being out of memory - crashes 3-4 times a week and requires a re-boot - internet explorer is a joke - constantly crashes, freezes, locks up computer ( if I had a dime for everytime I saw " recover webpage?" ...) - Randomly just stops working

Mac OS - I think between my MacBook and Imac ( both are around 4- 5 years old), I can count on one hand the amount of times they have froze/ crashed in that 5 years. For me - very simple to use, easy to find files, folders - I do like the UI - and most importantly - it just works.. I don't have any of the issues mentioned above that I have with windows.

Again - I am NOT a systems analyst - I'm NOT a computer engineer - only a normal shlub who uses computers.

Windows - I believe our computers here have windows 7 pro on them - UI is clunky - sometimes things work, sometimes they don't - get the " out of memory" message constantly and computer locks up - meanwhile, its not even close to being out of memory - crashes 3-4 times a week and requires a re-boot - internet explorer is a joke - constantly crashes, freezes, locks up computer ( if I had a dime for everytime I saw " recover webpage?" ...) - Randomly just stops working

That PC has hardware issues then, because Windows 7 is one of the most rock solid OS's Microsoft has ever released, in my opinion. I've been using it for the past 10 years and it's been an absolutely solid performer.

A lot of the 19th industrial robber barons of the 19th century also gave away heavily to charity. But only after they amassed their fortune using all sorts heavy handed and sometimes illegal ways. There's a reason why the US government finally adopted anti-trust laws. Similarly Bill Gates, as head of Microsoft, also vehemently used every dirty trick in the book to eliminate any competition in the OS and internet browser markets. Remember Netscape?

Just because these wealthy industrialists suddenly develop a conscience after they retire and start a new career in philanthropy does that make up for their ruthless tenure as industrialists?

Wow!

If I would write server side code or admin sites I would use a Windows box with a terminal window taking over all of the screen. Or if I spent most of the time inside a browser that most information workers do today. For anything else it's a hopeless mystery of a UI.

Some questions...

Do the UI conversion to Windows 7 programs people are posting free up or eat up resources?
What folder do I delete in Mac OS Finder to brick the system?

And if you delete /System, hit option key while rebooting and you are prompted with a re-install of the OS via network. And most of us have backups and keep data in the cloud, right?

Back
Top Bottom