Windows 10 Sucks!

Apple restricts access to the kitchen in order to make sure that the kids don’t play with the knives.
I’m not sure what restrictions you guys are talking about. There’s nothing off limits in the OS on any Mac I’ve owned. Worst case, you open a Terminal instead of some antiquated GUI buried ten levels deep in Control Panel.

I’m not sure what restrictions you guys are talking about. There’s nothing off limits in the OS on any Mac I’ve owned. Worst case, you open a Terminal instead of some antiquated GUI buried ten levels deep in Control Panel.
Maybe I'm going on old experience, at least with Macs. Back in the day at least, the granularity wasn't there vs Windows. As for IOS, file manipulation is crude compared to its competitors.

And yes, you can do a lot with a terminal window, same as Windows. But that's foreign territory for most users.

Maybe I'm going on old experience, at least with Macs. Back in the day at least, the granularity wasn't there vs Windows. As for IOS, file manipulation is crude compared to its competitors.
I totally get not liking the GUI aesthetics and operations of macOS. That kind of stuff is pretty subjective. But it feels pretty wrong to say it locks things away from the user. It's not in the same place, but I can't think of a single thing on macOS I can't do that Windows allows me to do.

Bringing iOS into this seems odd as we're talking about i86 operating systems.

Much of this seems like people coming from Windows to macOS and then being annoyed it's not all in the same place as it was on Windows. Well, duh.

And yes, you can do a lot with a terminal window, same as Windows. But that's foreign territory for most users.
I recall spending quite a bit of time with reg.exe and the tools from SysInternals in my Windows days. Both OSes keep the really deep stuff far down in the command line territory; nothing unique to either Windows or macOS there.

The tiles aren't my favorite, but the fact that there has been virtually (if not literally) no improvements in the file structure/windows explorer is absurd. It would be so much easier to organize and find files/folders using colors, tags, icons/pictures. In AX8-Edit you can color your favorite cabs and filter them. Why the hell can't you do that in windows explorer? Seriously it looks and functions the same today as it did in 1996 when I started my career.

And the search tool is garbage.

Bringing iOS into this seems odd as we're talking about i86 operating systems.
My comment was in response to your comment responding my post that cited Apple. iOS is a highly-exposed component thereof. :)

I didn't like it at first and resisted. Stayed with W8.1x64 for a long time. But I am now use to win 10. Plenty of great shortcuts with the keyboard, but of course you need to learn them. I also use a macro program, have been for a decade or so.
Win 10 x64 Pro is fine for me. But I understand where some may get frustrated.

I'm also not a fan of the look, feel, and general GUI of Windows 10 either, and the dumbing down of a desktop GUI so it's consistent with tablets/mobile devices with limited screen size and input options has made me mildly insane since I started using 10. I really hate what they've done here....

I guess I've gotten use to it somewhat, as I've gotten use to working on a MacBook/Apple OS again recently after not really using Apple stuff for many years. One thing I have to say about Apple is that they make the only trackpad I can actually use...it's the only one that has never driven me absolutely insane.

But yea, Windows 10 is a huge leap backwards in many respects IMO. Sigh. I wish someone would resurrect the BeOS...o_O

And that's the secret to Apple's profitability. No need to run faster than the bear. Just need to run faster than the slowest guy. FWIW I tried a Windows machine about 4 years ago after a loooong hiatus. Literally Microsoft software on Microsoft hardware: a Surface Book, so if it's shit Microsoft wouldn't be able to play its usual game of pointing fingers at hardware manufacturers. It kept bluescreening for no reason at all, and 3 days later I took it back. They probably have improved it since then, but I'm no longer curious to find out.

Without strong competition Apple is turning to shit, too. It's even more expensive than it used to be, with no corresponding performance gains you got before. Basically anything made in the past 5 years is just the same shit repackaged in a progressively thinner aluminum case.

The last improvement in CPUs that mattered for anything multimedia-related (AVX2 vectorization) was Intel's Haswell, which came out in 2013 (!). Other than adding cores every now and then things have barely budged performance-wise since then.

2. I use a program called "Winsplit Revolution v11.04" where you can use hotkeys to snap windows into your own customized predetermined sized and placements on the screen. Works perfectly fine in Windows 10. I use the following hotkey arrangement:

Ctrl + Alt:

QWE
ASD
ZXC

"Ctrl + Alt + 1" and "Ctrl + Alt + 1" move windows to the next-left and next-right monitor.

The 9-hotkey grid shown above takes the current in-focus window and places it on the screen in the size and placement you pre-alocate. You can also press the same hotkey multiple times to cycle between different window sizes and placements you setup, so for example "Ctrl + Alt + A" can make a window occupy the left half of the screen, but press that button combo again and it takes up the left 1/3rd of the screen, press it again and it takes the left 2/3rds of the screen, etc. I've installed it on my home and work PCs and almost can't use Windows anymore without it.

download link: https://winsplit-revolution.en.softonic.com/

my own hotkeys and window placements:Google Drink Link. To use, save the entire ".export" file and import it from the options menu.

Here's a few examples of hotkey-only windows placements:

4. You could always install Classic Shell to get the Windows 7 start menu: http://www.classicshell.net/

I like that. That's what I liked about windows, the ability to customize if you know what you're doing. Which unfortunately you have too, as some of the standard default settings are moronic. Why extensions are still standard hidden to this very day in a new Windows install is a mystery to me, because so many people could not see that the socalled executable they were clicking on was actually a virus.

Apple restricts access to the kitchen in order to make sure that the kids don’t play with the knives.

Sadly enough it also limits access to the adults who have to cook in said kitchen. I hated every second of working on an iOS machine.

When windows 10 first arrived MS tried to change to an ios style system imo. As mentioned above they said to keep a similar experience across devices, but in reality I think they wanted to control and make money off everyone's software like Apple's app store. They alienated most of the Windows user base and tried to go back toward windows 7, maybe 30% which was better but still sucks.

It reminds me of how Google Chrome can on the scene. All the normies loved the bare bones interface, to the point that other browsers started to copy them. Opera used to be a really cool customizable browser. That's what I loved about it. Then all of a sudden they went all Chrome and removed every option from their browser, no more menu bar, not even bookmarks any more. I kept going with an older version for a while but eventually I ditched Opera. They've since brought back some more advanced features, but they are a shadow now of what they used to be.

That why I hate Bill Gates.
A multi Billionare.... and his system is flawed to the 100th degree.
And then theres Google... everything they do works well

That why I hate Bill Gates.
A multi Billionare.... and his system is flawed to the 100th degree.
And then theres Google... everything they do works well
Lol Steve jobs was asking money in the streets ^^
Google does good job but for bad reasons : total control of world data

Install "classic shell explorer"
Then go to glass8.eu

Done, you're back in windows 7 wonderland ;)

Man, that is great....don’t know how I ever missed this! Years ago I installed something called Start8 or something like that, and it was buggy crap. This classic shell is the sh!t, thanks! The only thing missing now is a way to change the border padding of the windows like you could in 7.

Man, that is great....don’t know how I ever missed this! Years ago I installed something called Start8 or something like that, and it was buggy crap. This classic shell is the sh!t, thanks! The only thing missing now is a way to change the border padding of the windows like you could in 7.
Did you try glass8.eu? It has a nice win7 skin

Back
Top Bottom