Hagstrom Ultra Swede Electric Guitar: any opinions?

Well to be honest I thought about the radius a bit. I figured I could get use to 15" radius, although the flatter the fretboard the harder it is (for an arthritis suffer like me) to play. The natural curve of my fingers is already curved, if you know what I mean. But I also read the scale was 25.5"? One of my main reasons for the purchase was\is to get a 24.75" scale length. I have firends who have them and it does make a difference , for me.
So I am now looking at a few other options.

I will say, thanks to Jon for giving us all the spec info. Mighty kind of him.

Had to pop in home quickly today so I took some quick measurements with a steel rule (can't find my calipers :( )

The Hagstrom neck is roughly 43mm tall and 17mm thick

I measured it to a strat I had laying nearby whose neck was about 41mm tall and 17mm thick

So practically no different than a strat neck

Edit - tried to post photos but they're too large
Hmmm... That would be a really thin Strat neck given that most are considerably thicker than Ibanez Wizard necks, which are 17mm at the 1st fret (I own about 15, so I'm very sensitive to neck thickness). I've never played a neck that was even close to 17mm.

Yes it's a 25.5 scale length.....but then again, so is a strat! The Gibsons usually are 24.75, and PRS are usually 25. It's basically a strat styled guitar with a humbucker configuration.

I hear ya with the arthritis man :( I had a buddy of mine who sold me my first 8 string cuz of arthritis - he loved it but just could not play it anymore :(

You can look at those 3/4 sized guitars Frank, those are SUPER easy to play and put little to no pressure on the hand and fingers. I got one of the fender strat mini ones when I had a finger injury and couldn't press on a regular fretboard. It allowed me to play guitar almost normally. Plus do crazy EVH styled 2 1/2 step bends with ease!!! LOL!!

I got mine in a super manly hot pink, and though I haven't used it live, it sounds KILLER!!! even my gf was impressed by it. At 212lbs it does look pretty funny on me, but I've never been one for looks - I'm a engineer type - form and function over looks

Hmmm... That would be a really thin Strat neck given that most are considerably thicker than Ibanez Wizard necks, which are 17mm at the 1st fret (I own about 15, so I'm very sensitive to neck thickness). I've never played a neck that was even close to 17mm.

I'll measure a couple other stats and see. It was a Mexican strat I measured. I measured from the fingerboard itself to the back of the neck, excluding strings and frets as these can vary.

What average measurement do you have for your strat necks?

I'll measure a couple other stats and see. It was a Mexican strat I measured. I measured from the fingerboard itself to the back of the neck, excluding strings and frets as these can vary.

I think most are in the 20-22mm range.

Where did you you take your measurements? At the nut will get you different results from at the 12th fret.

Where did you you take your measurements? At the nut will get you different results from at the 12th fret.

1st fret

That's why I wanted to include the pics but they were too large.

Did a little reading and it seems most strats are about 19mm, with some being a little thicker like 22m and some going past 25mm!!:eek:

Perhaps that strat I measured is off spec, always did seem quite comfy to play, now I know why!;)

Either way, my off spec strat and the hag seem very comfortable to play, but it may be different when we factor arthritis into the picture.

I'd still recommend those 3/4 size guitars for you Frank, for an ease up on the fingers. Dean also makes some nice ones, I have one of those too and it plays very nicely.

Yes it's a 25.5 scale length.....but then again, so is a strat! The Gibsons usually are 24.75, and PRS are usually 25. It's basically a strat styled guitar with a humbucker configuration.

I hear ya with the arthritis man :( I had a buddy of mine who sold me my first 8 string cuz of arthritis - he loved it but just could not play it anymore :(

You can look at those 3/4 sized guitars Frank, those are SUPER easy to play and put little to no pressure on the hand and fingers. I got one of the fender strat mini ones when I had a finger injury and couldn't press on a regular fretboard. It allowed me to play guitar almost normally. Plus do crazy EVH styled 2 1/2 step bends with ease!!! LOL!!

I got mine in a super manly hot pink, and though I haven't used it live, it sounds KILLER!!! even my gf was impressed by it. At 212lbs it does look pretty funny on me, but I've never been one for looks - I'm a engineer type - form and function over looks

Hey Jon
Yeah, I have looked at the fenders that are 24" scale. Jaguar and the DuoSonic just to name 2. I play my 06 deluxe Strat (my avatar) every day. Just talking about comfort mainly in stretching. An example would be: Simple rhythm like a zillion shuffles, say in Key of A. That C# note that you MUST hit to make that sound correct I cannot do the stretch anymore. Of course I just play that stuff in the 1st position which is OK for keys but certainly not all.
Anyway, thanks again for all your insight and info....Frank

Back
Top Bottom