Vocal effects through Axe questions

RamboMadCow

Inspired
Does anyone here have any experience using the Axe for specific vocal processing? So far the only thing I've done successfully was a tap delay on demand which has worked out great. I'm looking into removing 2 vocal pedals I use and put it in the scene with my guitars to reduce the amount of pedals I have up front.

My two current pedals I use for vocals are the VoiceTone T1 and a VoiceTone C1.

I can use a graphic eq and compressor to do most of the T1 functions. Does the compressor also de-ess naturally as well? If not, do we have a block that can do something similar to a de-ess?

I know we have a pitch block and it can do pitch correction, but I have no idea what type of pitch block I need to use and what settings to use for very gentle, human sounding pitch correction. Does anyone have experience with this and could point me in the right direction?

Does anyone here have any experience using the Axe for specific vocal processing? So far the only thing I've done successfully was a tap delay on demand which has worked out great. I'm looking into removing 2 vocal pedals I use and put it in the scene with my guitars to reduce the amount of pedals I have up front.

My two current pedals I use for vocals are the VoiceTone T1 and a VoiceTone C1.

I can use a graphic eq and compressor to do most of the T1 functions. Does the compressor also de-ess naturally as well? If not, do we have a block that can do something similar to a de-ess?

I know we have a pitch block and it can do pitch correction, but I have no idea what type of pitch block I need to use and what settings to use for very gentle, human sounding pitch correction. Does anyone have experience with this and could point me in the right direction?

Quick question... are you using a preamp to connect the mic to the Axe 3 and if so which one?

Thanks!

Roman

Intelligent harmony mode can snap to semitones with stepped tracking type and voice harmony = 1. Increasing glide time will prevent instant jumps, but this might sound quite a bit worse than something actually designed for subtle vocal correction.
Cool! I didn't know about that. That might actually be fun to play with. Thanks!

The multiband compressor should be able to help with sibilance.

This is interesting. I'm not very good using the multiband compressor but I'll start playing around with it. I have several months until my next show so I've got plenty of time to play and tweak.

Quick question... are you using a preamp to connect the mic to the Axe 3 and if so which one?

Thanks!

Roman

I am not using a preamp to connect to the Axe. I'm just running a straight line from the mic directly into the Axe, and then from the Axe to a splitter in my band's IEM rack. Why do you ask? I'm not very knowledgeable in microphone stuff yet so if you have any insight I'd love to hear them.

Intelligent harmony mode can snap to semitones with stepped tracking type and voice harmony = 1. Increasing glide time will prevent instant jumps, but this might sound quite a bit worse than something actually designed for subtle vocal correction.

Thanks a bunch! I'll give it a try. At the very least, I can mount my pitch correction pedal into my rack and run my mic there first, but I'm going to play with this and give it a good try first.

You are not supposed to be able to plug a mic directly into the Axe III without a preamp....does it actually work?

I does in fact work. Why are you not supposed to be able to plug a microphone into the Axe without a preamp? What does a preamp bring to the table for the Axe?

My understanding was that the signal was too low to go straight into the Axe's inputs... but if it works, it works! LOL

I'm assuming it's a dynamic mic (no phantom power required) as well.

My understanding was that the signal was too low to go straight into the Axe's inputs... but if it works, it works! LOL

I'm assuming it's a dynamic mic (no phantom power required) as well.

Ahh that makes sense. Yes the mic I'm using is a dynamic. It's a Shure Super 55 Deluxe. It has a higher output than that of the SM57 and is picked up by the Axe quite well. I hardly even have to boost it out of the Axe into my band's IEM mixer, though that mixer does have gain and volume added appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom