Hagstrom Ultra Swede Electric Guitar: any opinions?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
I posted a while back about my search for a Gibson HB guitar. Most told me beware of Quality control issues also just plain don't buy one unless you can play it or it's an old one.

So I started to look around at cheaper HB guitars. Epiphones looked OK for the $$$ but I came across this Hagstrom today.
Just a little bit more than $300! Any good quality wise?

Small note: I am in the older adult crowd here on the forum and my first real electric guitar was, yup, a Hagstrom.
Thanks
Folks

I some years ago back in the days of real amps, I didn't like the Hagstrom.....was to just too bright and prominent to get along with.....

These days in the days of the Axe, I am so curious about it I ordered one a couple days ago....should be here soon and I can't wait!! It's an ultra Swede as well!

Different guitars can sound so different with the axe, and the Hagstrom is a radical departure from the norm......

A friend has a 79-80 model that he bought new. It has more tonal options than a lp, similar feel, excellent sound and quality/playability was right there with Gibson in those days. I'm not sure about the newer ones but they do look well built, especially for the price.

I some years ago back in the days of real amps, I didn't like the Hagstrom.....was to just too bright and prominent to get along with.....

These days in the days of the Axe, I am so curious about it I ordered one a couple days ago....should be here soon and I can't wait!! It's an ultra Swede as well!

Different guitars can sound so different with the axe, and the Hagstrom is a radical departure from the norm......

Hey Jon

Mind posting back after a bit of review? Curious about the radius-15" seems a bit flat for me. Think I could live with 12" like a gibson, not sure how different 15", in real life I mean of course.

In the $300 range they're great

Just don't pay full retail $800-900 you're fine

The old ones are cool, some are heavy

The new ones are pretty good guitars for the money, great value- and if you like the look i'd get it

also- they're kinda tough to sell so hit whoever's at $300 at 200, then maybe 250- first

In the $300 range they're great

Just don't pay full retail $800-900 you're fine

The old ones are cool, some are heavy

The new ones are pretty good guitars for the money, great value- and if you like the look i'd get it

also- they're kinda tough to sell so hit whoever's at $300 at 200, then maybe 250- first

Thanks-There are a few for $300 asking price.

Hey Jon

Mind posting back after a bit of review? Curious about the radius-15" seems a bit flat for me. Think I could live with 12" like a gibson, not sure how different 15", in real life I mean of course.

Will do! I prefer flatter necks though, they feel much better and faster and comfortable, especially if they are thin

My first electric guitar was a Hagstrom. Bright red. Had the plastic cheese grater between the pickups. Only the Marquis de Sade would design a guitar with a cheese grater between the pick ups. But, I digress. As you surmised old hag strums can either be a gem or junk. At that $300 price point I might be inclined to take a chance.

I haven’t laid hands on one since the 70s, and that was a bass. The owner was very partial to it, and it sounded decent, as far as I recall. No idea on the new ones, but at the price... if it plays ok and stays in tune you have a good buy!

My first electric guitar was a Hagstrom. Bright red. Had the plastic cheese grater between the pickups. Only the Marquis de Sade would design a guitar with a cheese grater between the pick ups. But, I digress. As you surmised old hag strums can either be a gem or junk. At that $300 price point I might be inclined to take a chance.
Hey John
Thats the one I had also, but mine was black with that cheese grater (great description) All I really remember (talking over 45 years ago for me) is the neck was very, very skinny but at that stage I had no idea what a radius was.....

Hey John
Thats the one I had also, but mine was black with that cheese grater (great description) All I really remember (talking over 45 years ago for me) is the neck was very, very skinny but at that stage I had no idea what a radius was.....
Yes the neck was skinny and fast. I was just skinny. People did call me half-fast or something like that. The wang-bar was great for putting the guitar way out of tune. I learned every Ventures tune with that guitar.

I’ve had several recent decade Gibson’s - 58 & 59 RI’s, 68 Custom, GC LP, 335, 336, Explorer, SG’s, Jr., Dusk Tiger, Robot... I’ve never had a “quality control” issue. On the contrary, they’ve all been some of the finest instruments I’ve ever owned - and they held their value. IMHO, Gibson’s QC issues are, for the most part, social media BS. But, if you’re dead set against Gibson but still want a Gibson, check out Eastman. I have a few. They’re nice. Gibson’s are nicer,

The Eastmans have been on my radar for some time now....haven't tried one yet though :(

Finally got the Hagstrom today, and WOW!!! Prettt blown away by how monstrous this thing sounds!!!

I don't usually do first impressions, usually I take a week or two to get to know the piece of gear, but I did promise, so here's just a couple 'first impressions'. The last time I played a Hagstrom was maybe 7 years or so ago, and some things are the same, some different.

-Monstrous sound!! Pretty amazing!!! Quite different to anything else.....it definitely has it's own sound......same thing when I tried it years ago.....very unique, very ballsy, very bright and chimey. I'd compare it to something like a PRS crossed with a tele and gretsch.....hard to describe but that's the closet description I can think of right now

-Sustain!!! On this alone I'd pick it over a Les Paul anyday!! This is better than the sustain of the best gibsons I've played, and it naturally sustains VERY well. Notes just sound immediately and just sing out on their own after.

-Setup was great out of the box! No adjustments and the intonation was spot on!! Gretsch also does a killer setup if you wanna rip right out the box-they are much closer to a Gibson alternative than this is...this is definitely it's own animal.
There was buzz on the low E string, but I'll give it some time to settle in before I fix that....the frets had a couple sharp-ish ones...nothing noticeable, but I actively look for these things. Not bad enough to cut or even notice really, but if you are looking out for it, a quick buff with some steel wool will fix that right up;)

-Thin neck.....not as thin as the one I remember them being famous for, but I could be very wrong there as it has been quite a while since i played one. The neck is not much thinner than the average guitar, but going up the neck where the neck joins to the body it's the same width, where a lot of other guitars get thicker here.

-Weight-not as light as I remembered.....this one is heavier than I remember.....probably cuz of all the brass blocks.....it's not les paul heavy, but it's not strat light either. Heavy-ish guitar for the relatively small footprint.

-Great aesthetics!! One of the things that caught my eye was the gorgeous pearloid binding....including the fretboard :) Now aesthetics mean little to me, but hey, who doesn't like to oogle at a pretty girl or guitar? ;)

Bottom line is that through the axe it is a wonderful guitar! I had a Hagstrom back when I had amps and it was too bright and in your face and bold for me...and with amps I could NOT make it work.....and I got rid of it.....now with the axe, I can make it work!! All that uniqueness really shines with the Axe fx. I don't think it's a guitar for everyone......if you are looking to do say country or pop or reggae I'd probably look elsewhere.......but it can definitely turn some heads with the rock/neoclassical crowd.

If you want, I can try to do up a short vid maybe Friday to show what I mean, but you get the general idea

Last edited:
@2112 you should check one of these out!!

It has those raunchy thick chunky tones that you do so well.....pretty sure if you try one your prs will be your second fiddle :p

@2112 you should check one of these out!!

It has those raunchy thick chunky tones that you do so well.....pretty sure if you try one your prs will be your second fiddle :p
So Jon
Is the neck flat and wider? If not, how would you describe it?
Thanks
Frank

The one I had years back was much flatter and thinner....this one is more like a Gibson styled neck....it reminds me of the JTV variax neck. It does feel smaller, like more narrow. I haven't found any issue with it with say chords or wide intervals, but I haven't put it through its proper pace yet either. I'll measure it up against some other guitars tomorrow and see how the neck compares. I'll take some actual measurements too.

Had to pop in home quickly today so I took some quick measurements with a steel rule (can't find my calipers :( )

The Hagstrom neck is roughly 43mm tall and 17mm thick

I measured it to a strat I had laying nearby whose neck was about 41mm tall and 17mm thick

So practically no different than a strat neck

Edit - tried to post photos but they're too large

The one I had years back was much flatter and thinner....this one is more like a Gibson styled neck....it reminds me of the JTV variax neck. It does feel smaller, like more narrow. I haven't found any issue with it with say chords or wide intervals, but I haven't put it through its proper pace yet either. I'll measure it up against some other guitars tomorrow and see how the neck compares. I'll take some actual measurements too.

Hey Jon

Thanks so much for going the extra mile. Really appreciate it. Being a Strat guy myself that is good news!

Back
Top Bottom