Using A Preamp/Boost Pedal

Perdikament

Power User
Is anyone using an actual Preamp/Clean Boost pedal in their setup? I know we have several available to us, (FET, SDD) and I use them more than any of the other Drive Block pedals, as well as the Boost Switch in the Amp Block.
Anyway, my question is: where is the best placement of an actual physical pedal like this? And does it make a difference as far as having too hot a signal going into the Fractal whether it be into Input 1 or via the FX Loop?

I often ran a tumnus boost in front of the Axe, along with various fuzzes, to great result, I think in front is best for these instances, rather than using a loop. I have also started using them much less these days with the huge improvements in the Drives onboard the III, and the boost options in Amp Block......

I often ran a tumnus boost in front of the Axe, along with various fuzzes, to great result, I think in front is best for these instances, rather than using a loop. I have also started using them much less these days with the huge improvements in the Drives onboard the III, and the boost options in Amp Block......
I probably should have stated in my first post, I’ve run them in the front, but yet to try the loop.. however in the front I am hitting the red somewhat easily & I’m already down low on the Input level. I think im at 14 IIRC.
I have both a Spaceman Mercury IV & Atlas III. The Atlas is just a straight up Clean Boost, the Mercury is a little different. It’s a Germanium Harmonic Boost, that one is actually recommended to be run at the end of your board. But that would be in a traditional setup, so it’d be after any effects & drives that you would have but before the front end of the amp. I forget which one, but one of them puts out +35dB of Boost. Lol .. I believe that’s the Mercury, cause it does add some harmonics, well you can dial them in.

You can also split the signal before your booster, go into input 1 with the unboosted signal and go into input 2 with the boosted signal. That way you don't have additional AD/DA changers in the chain but you can set different input gains for the converters. You then need the booster to leave always on and use the axe-fx to select the wanted input (with boost or without).

You can also split the signal before your booster, go into input 1 with the unboosted signal and go into input 2 with the boosted signal. That way you don't have additional AD/DA changers in the chain but you can set different input gains for the converters. You then need the booster to leave always on and use the axe-fx to select the wanted input (with boost or without).
Not a bad idea at all.. that never even crossed my mind.. although as of right now I’m already low at 14, but I’m switching p/u at the end of the week that should be quit a bit less hot.. I’m going from lil 59’s & JBjr to Area 67’s & Satch Track in the Bridge. Give that combo a whirl for a little while, see what’s up. Although that input level isn’t supposed to make a difference in the gain that hits the amp and is only for setting S/N properly, when ya hit it with a pedal it does make a difference. I’ve still yet to try it in the loop. Was a bit busy today.. hopefully tomorrow I’ll get a chance..

Back
Top Bottom