Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Personaly, I think the 1000 naked amps presets sound great on the latest update. I may have tweaked the eq on a few presets, but I did that anyways when I first bought and downloaded them.

HI everyone:

An update. I've gotten through about 30+ presets/200+ scenes, mostly in vintage area. Did an amp reset with FracTool since was going from 1.18 to 5.02 (now 5.05) and froze certain amp parameters in the reset (sometimes I like to add a little GEQ, like 1 db at 4K, for "presence").

Thing's I'm doing as I work through the banks:

- adding an Output 4, so all four outputs are in the preset. Output 2 still taps off the amp directly for those wanting to run out to Power amp and your own cab (but it won't sound the same as FRFR and has no wet effects)

- resetting the looper, quantize on and playback is set to -2.2 db lower - so you can lay down rhythm then practice over it

- adding Control switches to turn on/off Amp Boost, Fat Switch, Treble and Ideal saturation switch. (Last 1.1.4 Axe-III Edit somehow lost ability to assign saturation switch to Control Switch, although 1.1.3 did, I let Fractal know and hopefully that gets fixed). This lets you set up an amp control page on an FC and turn these on/off across an Amp Block. There are a few presets/scenes where the bright switch or Fat switch is hard-wired and that foot switch won't be available.

- using a Filter block right before the amp as a single coil 'kicker"boost you can switch one. So if you are a single coil only player, just hit that switch.

- adding an asterik "*" before any preset name or scene name that is already set up for single coils (ike Dream Rigs)

- aligning the cabs in cab block, if multiple Cabs used. This is really making a difference -- fabulous feature. I may do some cab substitutions too as I go if I find something better

- re-doing three drive blocks. The old ones won't sound right/as designed. The new ones are SO good that Cliff did. Fuzz, Overdrive, Boosts. I will create a few others and will include in an effects blocks library

- creating a few more "single coil" versions for amps.

- updating any Pan/Trem block to have the new types, and moved trem block to after Cab

- adding some scenes if not all 8 scenes are used and it makes sense to do so

- renaming presets with a "v5" at the end -- so you can tell the ones from the old ones you already have

- reformatting scene names to be shorter so they are understandable/can be seen from the FC controller

- little tone tweaks to Bass/Middle/Treble where warranted. A few presets will sound different (and better to me!) than original version. Vibroverb for humbuckers is improved for example.

- Adjusting drive/gain in some cases, usually downwards - I'm hearing/finding a slight difference in gain upwards than 1.18

- will add all the new amps/make presets for those

- Re-leveling presets. Some the cleans lost a little volume to my ears and needed to come up a few db for example. I'm leveling these off a mono XLR signal into my UAudio Console, target as always around -12db average or tad more. The presets will be a little hotter and crisper (in a good way) on S/PDIF -- I can hear a difference.

- Fixing a few errors here and there

Hope I can get Bank 1 presets done this month (fingers crossed) and soon as ready will go ahead make it available as an update file to customers on my website in your downloads area. Will let ya'll know here when it's there.

Then will add Bank 2 update when that's done, rather than ya'll having to wait for the whole thing at once.

Truly appreciate your patience! This firmware is the best ever - really killer sounding. My fingers are pretty raw from playing/can't stop as I dial in...:D

FC switch assigned to turn off output 2?

Do remember you asked about this before, right? Good place and time to have this discussion before get too far in.

Short answer, it can, but am running out of control switches. We only get six.

First, left Control switch 1 alone (unassigned) for user choice by preset.

Next, Control Switch 2 for Amp Input Boost (set to 12db/neutral for now), 3 for Fat, 4 for brite on/off (but not every preset), and 5 for saturate off to "ideal". The last one still works on hardware but at the moment AxeEdit 1.1.4 won't allow it, 1.1.3 did. But it will be fixed.

Leaving Control Switch six open but is a user-defined "Wildcard" that could be used in amp block for Amp Trim control, amp block tremolo on, Compression, GEQ On/Off, etc.

Next, laying out an FC12 amp page on an FC 12 that has those four switches above, plus Amp 1 +/- 1db and Amp 2 +/- 1db for your own fine tuning.

I was thinking about the four available Outputs like this:

1 - main output (I use it for S/PDIF out too) for FOH/main studio monitors

2- Amp Tap before cab. Not optimal sound since presets are FRFR designed, but some people still use power amps and real cabs. This gives you a place to do it., and use Global Output 2 EQ to adjust. It can just be ignored in terms of the rear plug-ins.

3 - can be a separate monitor mix out...or, you can do your own effect loop but you'll have to move it's location do that (see manual)

4 - can be an In Ears mix

So 1, 3, and 4 are all the same signal but run to different gear/places, all in stereo.

Question: Is it worth it to give up another control switch availability to globally turn on/off Output 2 tap from amp, or wouldn't it be easier not to use that Output at all? You had some good logic as I recall, remind me again?

I didn't design these presets with an EFX loop in mind - these are still Naked Amps mainly. The eventual Axe-Fx III Dream Rigs version later in the year however would have that effects loop capability for sure.

Thoughts?

Awesome; a possible suggestion: I use mirroring on output 2 to go to my interface, it would be awesome to have a switch dedicated to turning off output 2 on your presets so I easily monitor on my interface without bypassing the output 2 manually with every patch change in axeedit or front interface.

Just a thought; and if you have any other ideas how I could accomplish it without a per-patch fc switch, i’m definitely open

@austinbuddy one option might be to default the output 2 to bypassed

Output 3 and 4 aren’t balanced outputs; I don’t mean to make a big deal about it — just can make some scary noise on output 2 if I happen to forget to disable it.

I used to have output 1 go to my apollo interface, but I switched that to my XiTone so I can jam with your presets without having to change I/o settings when I’m not using the apollo to monitor

Last edited:
Output 3 and 4 aren’t balanced outputs; I don’t mean to make a big deal about it — just can make some scary noise on output 2 if I happen to forget to disable it.

I used to have output 1 go to my apollo interface, but I switched that to my XiTone so I can jam with your presets without having to change I/o settings when I’m not using the apollo to monitor

Effulgent: After reviewing the Axe-III manual, I see what you are saying. But have a paradox here of solving one problem creates a new one.

Technically I probably should use Output 4 as the "tap" to power amp and real cab.

The problem though is Outputs 3 and 4 have no Global GEQ associated with them (only Outputs 1 and 2), and some users use/need that Global 2 GEQ to re-tune the signal coming into a power amp and cab/adjust to try to get closer to the true Output 1 signal.

So one solution: I would just say, turn down the front Output 2 LEVEL knob permanently on the front of the unit to "shut off" the amp-direct signal. But I get that means you have to use an unbalanced cable from Outputs 3 to 4 for playback (you can still use TRS to XLR from Output 3 and 4).

Either way I go, there is issue. Any others have strong opinions on this? Open to ideas. I want to avoid using a Switch though, and if I did, I would default to ON anyway...

HI Austin.

Put in a request for Global EQs available on all outputs!...Or is that not feasible due to technical constraints? If you could get an indication from the man, then you could just proceed creating your wonderful presets so we can get the upgrades!
Thanks
Pauly

Effulgent: After reviewing the Axe-III manual, I see what you are saying. But have a paradox here of solving one problem creates a new one.

Technically I probably should use Output 4 as the "tap" to power amp and real cab.

The problem though is Outputs 3 and 4 have no Global GEQ associated with them (only Outputs 1 and 2), and some users use/need that Global 2 GEQ to re-tune the signal coming into a power amp and cab/adjust to try to get closer to the true Output 1 signal.

So one solution: I would just say, turn down the front Output 2 LEVEL knob permanently on the front of the unit to "shut off" the amp-direct signal. But I get that means you have to use an unbalanced cable from Outputs 3 to 4 for playback (you can still use TRS to XLR from Output 3 and 4).

Either way I go, there is issue. Any others have strong opinions on this? Open to ideas. I want to avoid using a Switch though, and if I did, I would default to ON anyway...

Hi Gang:

Some good news... tonight I uploaded a zip file containing partial bank of 66 presets for the 1000+ Naked Amps Axe=Fx III TonePack, all optimized under firmware 5.x.

It's on my website. Existing customers who previously purchased the 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack should be able to login at www.austinbuddy.com and download this partial update file now. It will be in your available downloads folder.

New customers will get the original TonePack and also get access to this partial FW 5.x update bank as a separate download.

This partial firmware 5.x preset update bank covers all the Fenders and Marshalls, plus Vox, Hiwatt, Ampeg, Roland, Gibson Scout and the Friedman Small Box and Dirty Shirley models (not Brown Eye yet).

Each preset name has a "v5" at the end of the preset name so you know it's the latest. I've shortened some names to fit FC12 foot controller LED where possible.

Presets were leveled using medium output humbuckers.

If a preset starts with an asterisk, then all the scenes in that preset are dialed in for single coils. See earlier in this fourm thread for all the changes. If a preset has an asterisk at the end of it's name, then there is a least one scene made for a single coil guitar inside the preset.

Of course, on any preset designed humbuckers, you can always click on the "Kicker Coil" Filter block (Channel A or B, to your taste) and that boost will compensate.

If you have an FC12, you might want to try and load the global+FC systems file that is included. Please back your own up first, before that with FractalBot so you can go back!

I've laid everything out for banks 8 presets and 8 scenes per, and tried to make the scenes names fit in the FC12 window. There is also a FC-12 foot controller Amp Layout Page where you can play with Amp Boost, Fat switch, etc. and adjust levels up/down by 1db by amp block to tweak for yuor playback system.

I'll keep plugging away at finishing the whole thing, but am out of town three weeks over the next six, limiting how much I can get done. Doing what I can; worked all weekend to make sure these were done for you to start enjoying. There are some new/extra presets, scenes and Easter eggs in there.

If you find any errors, let me know so I can fix for the final 5.x version -- hopefully in/by June! ENJOY!

Hey @austinbuddy -
Nice work thanks!

A constructive comment - which in no way detracts from your good work! - I hope you maintain consistent patch naming.

Quite often, I'll head in to the studio with an idea in mind, knowing the brand and type of amp I'm thinking of using. In these cases, i'll bring up my list of presets, search for (say) 'Tweed', and get a list of all the Fender Tweeds, 'Blackface' to get the Fender Blackfaces etc. Same to be said for 'Marshall'.... Then I'll just pick from the list of Marshalls that pop up.
So - When you name Blackface 'BF', or Tweeds 'Twd', I miss a lot from the list unless they are all the same. Of course I can rename them, but then they lose the lineage and become hard to track over the years as you upgrade so I'm hoping not to.

By the way - they sound fantastic ... I've just loaded each and had a quick preview. You really have a great concept here.
Thanks
Pauly

Hi Gang:

Some good news... tonight I uploaded a zip file containing partial bank of 66 presets for the 1000+ Naked Amps Axe=Fx III TonePack, all optimized under firmware 5.x.

It's on my website. Existing customers who previously purchased the 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack should be able to login at www.austinbuddy.com and download this partial update file now. It will be in your available downloads folder.

New customers will get the original TonePack and also get access to this partial FW 5.x update bank as a separate download.

This partial firmware 5.x preset update bank covers all the Fenders and Marshalls, plus Vox, Hiwatt, Ampeg, Roland, Gibson Scout and the Friedman Small Box and Dirty Shirley models (not Brown Eye yet).

Each preset name has a "v5" at the end of the preset name so you know it's the latest. I've shortened some names to fit FC12 foot controller LED where possible.

If a preset starts with an asterisk, then all the scenes in that preset are dialed in for single coils. See earlier in this fourm thread for all the changes. If a preset has an asterisk at the end of it's name, then there is a least one scene made for a single coil guitar inside the preset.

Of course, on any preset designed humbuckers, you can always click on the "Kicker Coil" Filter block (Channel A or B, to your taste) and that boost will compensate.

If you have an FC12, you might want to try and load the global+FC systems file that is included. Please back your own up first, before that with FractalBot so you can go back!

I've laid everything out for banks 8 presets and 8 scenes per, and tried to make the scenes names fit in the FC12 window. There is also a FC-12 foot controller Amp Layout Page where you can play with Amp Boost, Fat switch, etc. and adjust levels up/down by 1db by amp block to tweak for yuor playback system.

I'll keep plugging away at finishing the whole thing, but am out of town three weeks over the next six, limiting how much I can get done. Doing what I can; worked all weekend to make sure these were done for you to start enjoying. There are some new/extra presets, scenes and Easter eggs in there.

If you find any errors, let me know so I can fix for the final 5.x version -- hopefully in/by June! ENJOY!

thanks Buddy! these are great . especially nice the update is more or less in the same order in the bank , making it easy to drag over the existing partial bank in Axe-Manage....

Hey @austinbuddy -
Nice work thanks!

A constructive comment - which in no way detracts from your good work! - I hope you maintain consistent patch naming.

Quite often, I'll head in to the studio with an idea in mind, knowing the brand and type of amp I'm thinking of using. In these cases, i'll bring up my list of presets, search for (say) 'Tweed', and get a list of all the Fender Tweeds, 'Blackface' to get the Fender Blackfaces etc. Same to be said for 'Marshall'.... Then I'll just pick from the list of Marshalls that pop up.
So - When you name Blackface 'BF', or Tweeds 'Twd', I miss a lot from the list unless they are all the same. Of course I can rename them, but then they lose the lineage and become hard to track over the years as you upgrade so I'm hoping not to.

By the way - they sound fantastic ... I've just loaded each and had a quick preview. You really have a great concept here.
Thanks
Pauly

Hey Pauly, it is a really good point. I shortened so could see in small LEDs for FC as preset names on preset layout page...else you'd see seven presets saying "Blackface" on FC but rest of name cut off...Maybe for the final I can go back to that since most of name fits in top screen... easy to do.

But the scene names really needed to fit into the small LED windows on the FC, that seems to be important to strive for. I know it can get weird with super abbreviations....

thanks Buddy! these are great . especially nice the update is more or less in the same order in the bank , making it easy to drag over the existing partial bank in Axe-Manage....
Yes, I am altering order a little for bank so to come but the grouping category stays the same. For example am now including Ampeg for Guitar and Roland JC120 with the Hiwatt, Supro and Vox as more vintage sounds rather than at the end of bank 1.

Also, going to group all non-vintage amps with zero feedback together in banks to come...

Hi Gang:

Hi AustinBuddy,
Thanks for the updated and continued support of an excellent product!
If we download this partial update will it count against our access to continued updates under our customer profile?
Huge fan,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom