King's X

I had to go searching thru to archives to dig this thread up. Count me as one of those who knew who they were (did they come out of Texas in the early 90's?) and recall the radio songs barely. I keep seeing their name come up and did some googling and realize they have a following that's devoted. And professional musicians mention them as well. So I went to the first song I remembered "It's Love" and was floored by the TONE. Loved it. Watched the old video and dug that too (no pun meant on the Dug reference..lol). Ty is a joy to listen to. I guess I'm late to the party but now I'm on a Ty's tone chase, particularly that song. I realize it's two panned guitars and pretty dry, most likely played thru a P90. I haven't really started the 'what gear' googling yet. It also sounds like it's drop D to my ears. I guess I'll find out as my new journey begins.

Anyone successfully create an AX8 preset? lol..... Had to ask. I did see there's a new thread in the AXIII forum for those tone snobs over in THAT world :rolleyes:

I had to go searching thru to archives to dig this thread up. Count me as one of those who knew who they were (did they come out of Texas in the early 90's?) and recall the radio songs barely. I keep seeing their name come up and did some googling and realize they have a following that's devoted. And professional musicians mention them as well. So I went to the first song I remembered "It's Love" and was floored by the TONE. Loved it. Watched the old video and dug that too (no pun meant on the Dug reference..lol). Ty is a joy to listen to. I guess I'm late to the party but now I'm on a Ty's tone chase, particularly that song. I realize it's two panned guitars and pretty dry, most likely played thru a P90. I haven't really started the 'what gear' googling yet. It also sounds like it's drop D to my ears. I guess I'll find out as my new journey begins.

Anyone successfully create an AX8 preset? lol..... Had to ask. I did see there's a new thread in the AXIII forum for those tone snobs over in THAT world :rolleyes:

It’s an elite strat into a lab series l5 with a midi verb 2 when he had chorus on. His clean was just the volume knob turned down. The L5 has been ask for since the first axe fx.

Here ya go!

Kings X Tone

Sweet! You’re my favorite person at the moment!

I can't wait to get home and play. I have one Strat and the pickups have never sounded that good, IMO. It's a MIM strat circa '97ish. I should really replace the electronics but I don't play it often enough to justify it. My Charvel is HSS and it sounds way more Strat-ish. I'll probably make due with that but it's not drop D tuned and I'm a lazy mofo. Crossing my fingers on the MIM Strat

Last edited:
Sweet! You’re my favorite person at the moment!

I can't wait to get home and play. I have one Strat and the pickups have never sounded that good, IMO. It's a MIM strat circa '97ish. I should really replace the electronics but I don't play it often enough to justify it. My Charvel is HSS and it sounds way more Strat-ish. I'll probably make due with that but it's not drop D tuned and I'm a lazy mofo. Crossing my fingers on the MIM Strat

Make sure you grab the file in post 29 it's the most up to date and the one that I did the sound bite with on page 2 of that thread!

Cheers bro!

Make sure you grab the file in post 29 it's the most up to date and the one that I did the sound bite with on page 2 of that thread!

Cheers bro!
I'm digging this thread back up rather than start a new one. Thanks for the preset. I found my go to preset does it really well if I turn off the reverb and delay AND use a Strat. The last part is essential. Which brings me to the purpose of digging this up.

I've always been a standard tuning guy. Mostly because I have a Floyd (no DTuna) and I never really got into hard metal. I love my '70s and '80s heroes and just never got into it. But I'm REALLY getting into King's X. Before I was told and researched what amp and gear Ty used, my ears told me solid state like Dimebag. Maybe it was the drop tuning but that was my initial thoughts and turns out I was right, along with a strat/single coil. Of course he started using the Mesa and Orange stuff and still sounds like Ty....no surprise. But it's the single coils that really make it work. And the same thing when I grab my strat and dry up the tone. It's given that guitar a new use. Except that I'm seriously considering replacing all of the pickups and pots because everything sounds muddy except the bridge pickup which I believe is hot.

Turns out a good buddy's brother is real good friends with Dug. He's been going to see them for a long time, has hung out with his brother and the band. I had no idea. And me and my buddy have been jamming since high school. Our musical tastes are identical. So we're planning on seeing them next time through town. I'm hoping we get to hang or meet them but I'm not really a autograph guy, and I don't plan to bombard him with how awesome his Gretchen tone was/is.... he already knows that...lol.

Anyway, long post without a clear point... Other than to say I can't believe I missed out all of these years. And am conflicted about replacing the bridge pickup because it does KX well. I'm wondering if a lower output pickup boosted by my AX8 will replicate the hotter wind or output that the POS pickup I have in there now.

And am conflicted about replacing the bridge pickup because it does KX well. I'm wondering if a lower output pickup boosted by my AX8 will replicate the hotter wind or output that the POS pickup I have in there now.
You can bump the input trim to simulate a hotter pickup to a degree so It can kind of work. I have a Thornbucker + in the bridge of my CT with it coil tapped the tone is very convincing for the Gretchen era. For a different gain structure I just go full humbucking and add more gain and I can cover a lot more territory from other recordings.

Like many KX fans I have been listening since the 80's and I have always been amazed by Ty's playing and phrasing but it doesn't really come together unless all three are are on stage.

One of the most grossly underrated bands ever, Ive lost track of how many times I've seen them over the years. All of them are the nicest guys going as well. Saw them recently at the Stone Pony, unfortunately I can't make the June 28th Show in NJ as me and the Wife have 4th Row Shinedown tickets.

I'll be 50 this year. I've had 4 or 5 bands that I 'lived' a year playing an album or just really getting into:

1. Van Halen - Went to bed with my walkman headphones every night playing VH1, VH2 or 5150.

2. Dokken - Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key and Back for the Attack. About 3 or 4 years, I lived for Lynch. So the first Lynchmob album also is included. This takes me into my early 20's and grunge killed metal. It also coincides with the band that I was in came to the realization that it was over. I got a job, which launched my current career and I didn't even play guitar for about 3 or 4 years. I was over it.

3. SRV - He'd been dead for a year or two and I really never bothered previously, but one night his version of Voodoo Chile came on the radio. That put me into a three year SRV kick and made me pick up guitar again. Totally changed my playing from the Lynch-isms to a blues based string bending, Hendrix type feel.

4. Black Country Communion - Around 2011 I bought an iPhone and was discovering iTunes and on a whim came across something described as 'Classic Rock'. I knew who Glen Hughes and Jason Bonham were. The guitarist I'd never heard of. I listened to the first two albums every day for 2 years and of course discovered Joe Bonamassa, who I remembered being featured as a kid in Guitar Player magazine. I still have not mastered one 5 note pentatonic pattern that Eric Johnson and Joe are famous for. It's something I should really do. There's plenty of resources and lessons. I really liked Joe's tone. It had a Peter Green type sound in that there sounds like headroom in the leads. Blending the cleanish amp's high and low EQ with the Marshall mid creates a really cool 'loud' sound.

5. King's X - I'm in the middle of a binge. I crank it in my car. I play it on the golf course. I just put it on 'artist' and shuffle. I've always been aware of them and knew a few mainstream songs. I also knew that artists talk about them as being one of their favorite bands. "Lost in Germany" and "It's Love" are my faves. My Strat is tuned to D and it's the only thing I use the Strat for. I use my Charvel for most Strat sounding tones, but it doesn't do King's X well because of the humbucker. Got to have a single coil with the dropped tuning.

I'm looking forward to seeing them this fall. I definitely will make it a point to park right in front of Ty.

Back
Top Bottom