DIY for Axe-Fx III Foot Controller

How much does a custom enclosure like that cost from a machine shop? I need one for a project I’m planning and I assumed it would be super expensive so I was going to hack something together myself but if it’s reasonable . . .

Upon power up I was thinking to scan all preset information and write to flash. Any edits or updates will need do trigger resync...not yet determined how to do yet.

I reckon have a write-through cache. Whenever you load a preset, check SD for record, and write to screen if found. Then, also send sysex commands and write new data to SD if found, update screen if necessary.

I know there are some methods to update progmem, but it may be a premature optimisation. SD is pretty quick, and a write-through cache will work fine if sd is not found

How much does a custom enclosure like that cost from a machine shop? I need one for a project I’m planning and I assumed it would be super expensive so I was going to hack something together myself but if it’s reasonable . . .
To have just one made will be too expensive...the first $100 is for setup. My first batch of five was about about $350($70/unit) with thick 3mm aluminum, no bottom, no sides, 10 would be more like $500($50/unit) no bottom, no sides so the price drops significantly with volume. Steel is another option and will be cheaper. If you want to fold your own sheet aluminum which I have done plenty of; you can get pretty cheep folding breaks at Harbor Freight.

Last edited:
I reckon have a write-through cache. Whenever you load a preset, check SD for record, and write to screen if found. Then, also send sysex commands and write new data to SD if found, update screen if necessary.

I know there are some methods to update progmem, but it may be a premature optimisation. SD is pretty quick, and a write-through cache will work fine if sd is not found

The board will be supplied with ample space on the SPI Flash Winbond chip. The advantage of using the SPI Flash is that all the preset data can be written to a struct and saved or recalled sequentially by preset number and easily accessed later in code from a preset struct record, rather than file based conversions on an SD.

To any/all followers of this thread...here we go!!!

PCB designs are just about done...

Please send any last requests before I commit to final designs.

See initial specs on first post; additions as follows:
  • Six more buttons accessible directly from PCB(22 total!).
  • Six expression pedal inputs
  • Hardware/Firmware compatibility with AxeFxControl library
  • Open source for unlimited possibilities

PCB:
The first run will be for ten PCBs (two are already spoken for) that leaves eight.

The PCB will be completely built and ready to program from arduino IDE. The foot switch button scanning will baked into micro controller #2 and button press data will be sent over i2c to the main micro controller #1. As soon as I get five commits on this forum post I will prepare the order to manufacture the PCBs and also order the parts needed to build out at least five.

PCBs will be $85 for (parts and labor, no profit; I am not doing this for profit!) for the first five, then $99 for any orders after the first five. With parts being around $50 It does take at least 3-4 hours to build and test these PCBs so I think I am being very reasonable : ).

If you want the neo-pixel PCB strips which will match up with enclosure(16 independently addressable 24-bit color LEDs) add $29 for the first five sets ordered/committed to then $39 per set after that. (the neo-pixels LEDs will be included)​

Enclosure:
Enclosure design(as of now) is what we see in earlier posts with possible addition of a bezel around LCD. I will need at least ten interested in an enclosure before it becomes cost effective. Guesstimated to range between $75-$100 for a 3mm heavy duty bare aluminum enclosure, aluminum bottom and plastic side pieces. I cannot commit to a price until the manufacturer can give me an estimate, and designs are still subject to change due to feedback.​

Externally sourced parts:

As of now ONLY serial driven smart displays will be supported. I highly recommended this type of display to offload all the display processing from main micro controller since many functions are real time.​
  • 9V power supply with at least 2000ma rating(One Spot recommended).
  • 7" touch screen Nextion Enhanced(recomended) OR 7" 4DSystems 4th Gen-ulcd Diablo are preferred LCD displays.
  • Silent type momentary switches are highly recommended.
I can also offer a complete kits with all the parts needed if I can make it worth while to stock enclosures.

Any and all specs are subject to improvements and changes...prices are also subject to change...commits will lock on pricing.

Last edited:

I'm esitmating 16Mb of storage needed worst case if every patch in the 512 had 8 scenes and each scene had a 32 byte name.

Storing all this patch data on board and keeping it maintained will surely tax the AXE less and speed things up.

I'll use 32Mb SPI Flash to be safe. If it ever turns out to be insufficient for some reason...it can be upgraded with a 64Mb or 128Mb chip replacement, or better yet I can add an additional bank for a second SPI flash chip with a second CS output if ever needed.

The only thing that bugs me is reading it all on startup. That takes time and I’m impatient! Perhaps it could be triggered manually, and refreshed on each patch change?

Cool thread.
I may be interested once I figure out what some of the jargon means LOL! I wouldn’t mind paying extra for a kit or to have it assembled. I prefer the MFC to the newer footswitches for the III, I like more buttons. So this might work for me.

By the way, I spent my grade school years in Phoenixville. Went to Schuylkill Township elementary, back when the old building with the bell tower was still part of the school. They built the “upper” building while I was there. Not much left of it from what I’ve read...haven’t been back in a long time.

Got my first electric at Jawarski’s music. Ate many a pie at Dell’s pizza.

Cool thread.
I may be interested once I figure out what some of the jargon means LOL! I wouldn’t mind paying extra for a kit or to have it assembled. I prefer the MFC to the newer footswitches for the III, I like more buttons. So this might work for me.

By the way, I spent my grade school years in Phoenixville. Went to Schuylkill Township elementary, back when the old building with the bell tower was still part of the school. They built the “upper” building while I was there. Not much left of it from what I’ve read...haven’t been back in a long time.

Got my first electric at Jawarski’s music. Ate many a pie at Dell’s pizza.

Watch the thread...I expect to have a finished version within the next 30 days. Takes a few weeks for boards to be manufactured.

Jawarski’s just closed down in the last year.

Following because I am also very interested in this thread.

Also ,With all the great ideas, is there any thought to a rack mounted midi setup to control the amp perameters?

Following because I am also very interested in this thread.

Also ,With all the great ideas, is there any thought to a rack mounted midi setup to control the amp perameters?
With the new Performance tabs, that seems like it would be somewhat redundant...

HI Saphira,
It's a relatively new feature in firmware that allows you to choose a virtual amp's knobs, switches etc and assign them to the A,B,C,D,E encoders on the axe FX III. A great feature which may be exactly what you want. If you search for the 'Performance SCreen' or similar, you should find some info about it.

Thanks
Pauly

Guess I need to re-read my Manuel because I'm not sure how to do that

Back
Top Bottom