The Bogners in FW 5.05

Variable

Inspired
Has anyone else noticed just how awesome the Bogners are in 5.05? I never really got along with the Bogners in prior firmware releases (they never seemed to capture the magic pixie dust of the real thing), but with the new modeling, I can't stop playing them. Especially the Euro Blue and Red. The notes are just effortless to play and that Bogner sound is finally there. It's juicy and mysterious and thick and raunchy.

Good stuff :)

Back in the tube days I loved Bogner’s including
20th ecstasy, shiva etc. my favorite def was the ecstasy classic. I’m gonna have to revisit those amps in the Axe .

YES! It's a top five amp for me.

I used to gig weekly a decade in Austin on 6th Street with an early Bogner Ecstasy 101B EL34 tubes through a 1X12 Shiva ported cab with Celestion Lead 80 (same one we have IRs for in Axe-III).

The Axe-Fx III has the "woody" thing the real Bogner Ecstasy does when dialed in, and sounds killer -- especially with the 12 db Boost on (I use it in neutral) and presence turned up between 7 and 8.

Sounds awesome with 4x12 Greenbacks too. One the truly great and highly useful amp models in the Axe-Fx!

Last edited:
Haha, here's what I wrote last week:

"After having used the Friedman models for years, I recently switched to the “Euro” ones = Bogner Ecstasy. I owned that amp 10 years ago. Leads sound so much thicker and more prominent in the mix than they do with the BE." #12

They have certainly changed for the better. Mean, growling, bold and present.

Using Blue, Blue+ (neutral Input boost), and Red. All in Modern mode.

Presenty using them with @York Audio ‘s Marshall IR.

Last edited:
Strange I don’t like 5.05...
I have the 1.18 now and sound really better to my ears and closest to my real amps.

Love these Bogners; esp for singing/soaring glissando solos. I even have a solo patch on one with a auto swell via VOL block for legato.

Also, really like that Euro Blue, nice grit/gain for all kinds of tunes and works well with virtual capo using vol block trick.

Puts me in thin lizzy turf, but actually like the deluxe tweed for most TL drop tunes. I have a slightly “clean” DT for the cowboy song.

Strange I don’t like 5.05...
I have the 1.18 now and sound really better to my ears and closest to my real amps.

I think 1.18 still sounds great myself. But 5.05 is also
Killer.

One trick to make an amp model sound more present and “in the room” is to put speaker compression to zero. Maybe add a single db at 4kHz too in amp block if it doesn’t sound as bright/present as you want.

Oh man back in the day a buddy of mine got signed and got an Uberschall half-stack that sounded just incredible... I was always jealous of that rig.

Now I can get that sound whenever I want
roCwYL9.gif

Killer Amp isn't it. Fractal has done a awesome job in replicating the nuances.

What Cab are you guys using, I understand that the IR Bogner cabs are not ultra res cabs.

@austinbuddy Any plans of getting Ultra res cabs for Bogner ... it's a killer amp.

Please let me know which IR sounds the closest to the factory cab... I am going for the woody tone of Steve Lukather.

Last edited:
The Uber is one of my go to high gain amps - has that super pissed off Marshall thing going on in the mids bit but with the chunk factor of a Recto. Inspiring.

I use Bogner XTC since 20 years....
All my presets with Fractal Devices are mostly based on Bogner :)

Your Euro Blue tones always make me dial up that model and take it for a spin - a perfect match for your playing.

I know... just a variation on an already existing platform... but I'd really love to have a model of the Helios in the Axe. yeah... just a variation of a Plexi, but a really well done one...

Back
Top Bottom