Tech 21 Power Engine - Deuce Deluxe (First impressions)

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
I just received this and have started to explore using the presets on my Axe-FX iii. FYI, I'm brand new to the modeling/frfr speaker world, so my only basis for comparison is playing the Axe through my inexpensive JBL studio monitors. Other than that I have spent decades using vintage Fenders, pretty much exclusively.

I picked this up for a few reasons: price ($450), weight (~25 lbs.), and its purported ability to handle both guitar and bass (one of my main criteria). The fact that this unit has tone control, low and high pass filters and pad seemed like very useful things for making quick adjustments (esp. when switching from guitar to bass during a gig). Also, as a brand new product I figure I will be able to sell this pretty easily down the road if it does not meet my needs.

First I spent some time playing my Strat through more straightforward amp settings on the Axe: Fender Twin, Bassman, AC15, DR and Princeton. Mostly clean, with OD and reverb. Some of the presets sounded really good, the Twin for instance. Others have a sort of strange metallic sound to them, like the Princeton. Unnatural, unpleasant and reminiscent of some other Class D amps I have played in the past. I am too new to this to know if the issue is with the amp, the Axe or perhaps just with the individual presets. With the presets I liked, I really liked the amount of clean headroom this amp has!

I then played my Fender Jazz bass through the one bass amp model I could find on the Axe-FX. It was reminiscent of playing direct with a sans amp- certainly not a bad starting point. It got pretty loud, but I can't really tell how this will hold up in a whole band situation.

I'm not too impressed with the size and layout of the whole thing. It is a fairly large cube, so actually less easy to transport than a heavier and slimmer amp (like my vintage DR). The handle and the Input jack being on the top also make it awkward to stack a rack on top and still have access to the controls.

Next up is testing this with acoustic guitar and vocal for solo gigs, and then getting experience on an actual electric gig. I still have a way to go to get comfortable playing my III in a live situation, but at least I am confident that this will work as a starting point!

Just FYI (slightly OT), there are a number of bass amps:

Mesa, Orange, FAS, 2 different SV models

Also, the Bassman "guitar" amps were originally designed for bass.

Other guitar amps might also work.

I am interested on that Cab, I may grab one for home, just as an alternative for the Monitors in those situations you miss the "amp in a room" :p

mmm what do you mean by that? I have studio monitors and are super happy with them but this Tech21 is pretty affordable and wouldn't mind using it also.

It’s a decent amp/cab for bass, I’ve been less thrilled with it for guitar the more I’ve played it. A bit of artificiality to the sound. I use mainly clean amp sounds though.

Anyone else with experience with this unit. I’m looking for something to use with both guitar and bass out of a Fractal unit. Thanks!

Just got mine today to use with my ax8 and so far I agree with the OP. Got this for rehearsal and stage volume. I find if i dial out some mids and bass it sort of solves it. I have a lot of my own presets but I also have the firemen metal and Brit pack. All presets have this quality to it.

I have the Tech 21 DD. I like it a lot. I do agree that some of the amp models do have a bit of a metallic ring to them. I replaced the speaker with Celestion F12-200. That made the sound a bit more organic and smooth. I had to disable the tweeter on it though.

When I create my sounds I turn off the shelving filters and use it as 100% FRFR monitor. When plying with my band I enable both filters and it definitely sounds much more like a true guitar amp.

Back
Top Bottom