The question mark...

Rick

Axe-Master
A question mark at the end of a sentence indicates the sentence is an interrogative... a question. It is not used to indicate you don’t know the answer to your statement, which should end with a period.

Wrong: I’m not sure when we are supposed to arrive?
Right: What time are we supposed to arrive?

I’m not posting this in response to anyone’s specific post, so please put the flamethrowers down. If you’re typing a message, you’re using spelling, syntax, and grammar rules to communicate. You’re free to do it wrong, just as you’re free not to tune your guitar.

It’s just one educational thought thrown out to help those who would like to make use of it.

Now we have to use well grammar along with reading the manual and checking the wiki and searching the forum? AARRGGGHHH!!! My head hurts!!! Don't know if it's my brain? Maybe i dont have one? Who knows? Someone help me? Please!! Thank you!

I go back and forth on this, and unfortunately I seem to have better interactions on forums when I write with worse grammer. But it's probably cus I suck at sounding nice when using correct grammar?
I have to fight the impulse to be the Grammar and Spelling police.

It comes naturally to me, so it's hard for me to ignore. But I try :)

Personally, I know I use ellipses way too much... But I do it anyway. It helps me feel more like a "conversational" approach to posting.

Im glad this is being taken in the intended friendly manner. :)

I'm not perfect on it, as the nice lady who used to proof my research papers will tell you. I'm always improving something.

I think the rules are considered more relaxed on a forum post. In my mind it's not quite a twitter post but you can get away with bad punctuation and incomplete sentences. Maybe it's the whole new age of texting that has deteriorated my writing skills. I do, however, re-read my work emails before hitting send. There's the expectation of professionalism that demands it. You know.

(see what I did ...lol)

I think the rules are considered more relaxed on a forum post. In my mind it's not quite a twitter post but you can get away with bad punctuation and incomplete sentences. Maybe it's the whole new age of texting that has deteriorated my writing skills. I do, however, re-read my work emails before hitting send. There's the expectation of professionalism that demands it. You know.

(see what I did ...lol)
Lol - ez 4 u 2 say ;)

Believe me, my inclination is to edit posts for clarity, punctuation, and speelling (!)

I only draw the line at caps. And maybe proper use of the semi-colon when not trying to make an emoji.

Back
Top Bottom