Tragedy in Paris

Apparently, there are no longer trees tall enough in France now to replace the beams. Perhaps wood and lead are not the way forward. Neo-gothic architects around the world are now presented with an unprecedented challenge. Will be interesting to see the solution they arrive at. Future episode of modern marvels ironically?

Glad they were able to save enough to make restoration possible.

Apparently, there are no longer trees tall enough in France now to replace the beams. Perhaps wood and lead are not the way forward. Neo-gothic architects around the world are now presented with an unprecedented challenge. Will be interesting to see the solution they arrive at. Future episode of modern marvels ironically?

Glad they were able to save enough to make restoration possible.

I was just reading this article about the restoration;

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/notre-dame-restoration-gothic-cathedral/index.html

I would guess mostly modern materials would be used, which would be lighter/stronger, than trying to do a period correct wood restoration, but have no clue really.

Wood is pretty expensive and heavy so couldn’t see it as an ideal choice.

I would guess mostly modern materials would be used, which would be lighter/stronger, than trying to do a period correct wood restoration, but have no clue really.

Wood is pretty expensive and heavy so couldn’t see it as an ideal choice.

Had the same thought. Like having the Parker fly guys restoring Framptons custom from the plane crash. But somehow maintain the aesthetic.

I was there two years ago with my family. Photos do that place no justice. I'll be really pleased to see it rebuilt as a landmark of western civilization.

I am French and raised Jewish. I recently visited Notre Dame (again) as a "tourist". I was taken by the size, the depth (not just physical) and the atmosphere reigning in this space.
Not to make this a religious thread - but how can you completely avoid it when speaking of Notre Dame and the tragedy that hit it - but there is so much spirituality in that place that I don't think it will "ever" die. This is just another physical transition on its long road.

I was there two years ago with my family. Photos do that place no justice. I'll be really pleased to see it rebuilt as a landmark of western civilization.

The pictures I’ve seen are breathtaking, so I can only imagine what It must have looked like in person.

While we were unable to build EPR in 10 years...
Won't happen

A political statement for sure. Not sure if it’s achievable, but you never know. There once was a president who set a deadline in the 60’s to get mankind to the moon by the end of the decade. :)

A political statement for sure. Not sure if it’s achievable, but you never know. There once was a president who set a deadline in the 60’s to get mankind to the moon by the end of the decade. :)
Not political at all. Just facts
The EPR construction took near a decade delay...
Macron wants ND to be built back for Olympics 2024, it's unachievable
And the deadline you mention in the 60s was in a great country .. France is a decadent country (it's my country )

Not political at all. Just facts

Just to be clear I was not saying you made a political statement, but instead that Macron made a political statement by stating that he wants it re-built in 5 years.

Is it possible, who knows, only the experts know the answer, but even if it could, as you said, other hurdles get in the way.

I was there last summer and just sat in the pews in silence and in awe of it. I only saw the videos today and it's just heartbreaking. Thankfully it can be rebuilt and isn't a total loss.

Being ensnared in the never ending 'Brexit' drama, the blather coming from politicians' gobs means little to me - not that it ever did before either. So Macron can go soak his head ... it will take as long as it takes

Notre Dame will get restored because the people of not just France but most of the western world want it to be and will get behind it. It's not even based on religious grounds (let's face it Christianity at the time of the 2 centuries it took ND being first built was a particularly barbaric religion) .... ND is simply a wonder of the world, a monument to human history and the heart of a nation.

Whatever modern building practices that might need to be incorporated along with authentic period style restoration work to fix it will just be another part of it's history. Here's to another 800 years.

RIP Garou

It's sad, this place is even more visited than the eiffel tower.

Plus it's our country "kilometer zero" for all french roads :)

I think my newborn will see the renovation until adulthood, à la sagrada familia

Watching the news about Notre Dame and Yemen at the same header can offer some food for thought about the different scales of 'horror' and how the world copes with them.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/04/1036691
2019-04-17-14-41-12-Monday-s-Daily-Brief-Horror-at-Notre-Dame-fire-disaster-Yemen-still-bleeding.png

Saudi-bombing-of-Yemen-777x437.jpg

Reactions: Rex
It may be probably rebuilt in 5 years with modern architecture, but I doubt about it.
If I would be president, I will take the opportunity to demonstrate to the rest of the world the french "savoir faire" of carpenters etc...
This is really available here in france, but it is unfortunately disapearing .
I will also take the opportunity to promote these kind of knowledges among the young generation (job 100% garantee) instead of just send thousands of students in just computer sciences. lawers, .....etc...

Money is available, "savoir faire" is available (but complicated to gather), even oak trees are available.
Let's see what happen and how long it takes.

Back
Top Bottom