Using Second Amp Block

EG 2006

Inspired
I've been using the Axe 3 for a couple of months now but haven't figured out how to get the second amp block to work. Picture a simple preset with 4 scenes alternating through 4 amps from the one amp block. Out through various cabs within multiple channels of the one cab block. All works great.

What I want to do is add a second amp block in so I can run a 5th amp type (and a 6th, 7th and 8th). When I put the second Amp block in the lower line and mute the first amp, I hear both amps!? Is there a particular bypass or thru mode or something I am supposed to select?

Is it possible to run 8 amp types, one per scene?

BTW, I only use Axe Edit.

Bypass mode should be set to Mute for both Amp blocks, and the Amp blocks should be in parallel.

Last edited:
Check the bypass type on Amp 1 -- it can be Mute or Thru. You'd want it to be Mute in this case, otherwise audio will continue to be routed on Amp 1's path when it is bypassed.

And yes, you can run 8 amp types, one per Scene, with the two amp blocks and this approach of bypass & channel selection per Scene.

Whenever I'm using a setup like this, I make sure to set bypass to mute each channel of both amp blocks. It may not be affecting things now but if you sometimes edit or experiment with various block settings, combinations, IR's etc. an amp block that's not supposed to be in use can inadvertently get in there passing signal. I had it happened to me the other night, stepped on my JTM45 scene and oops, I thought I had them all muted.

Last edited:
I might also suggest thinking about alternating between the amp blocks via scenes to help minimize gaps (Amp1: 1,3, 5, 7; Amp 2:2, 4, 6, 8). If you think of commonly used pairings (e.g. USA Clean and JP Yellow), you could set the channels for the unused Amp block in advance; making the switch between those two amps seemless. (Hope that makes sense).

joe

Last edited:
I might also suggest thinking about alternating between the amp blocks via scenes to help minimize gaps (Amp1: 1,3, 5, 7; Amp 2:2, 4, 6, 8). .... making the switch between those two amps seemless. This will get rid of any dropouts from Amp channel switching.

Hmm, not sure I understand how alternating amp blocks/channels eliminates dropouts? Am I missing something?

Me, either...

But using the Mux block will.
I tried it with the Mux block & it still had gaps but that was before this change in v5.0 so it may work now:
Improved Scene/Channel change logic. Only the wet data is muted when changing scenes and channels now leaving the dry data intact which results in smoother transitions.

I tried it with the Mux block & it still had gaps but that was before this change in v5.0 so it may work now:
Improved Scene/Channel change logic. Only the wet data is muted when changing scenes and channels now leaving the dry data intact which results in smoother transitions.
Unless your amps are changing channels, it shouldn't. The whole point of Mux is to seamlessly change. Did you have both blocks active at the same time (you should)?

Unless your amps are changing channels, it shouldn't. The whole point of Mux is to seamlessly change. Did you have both blocks active at the same time (you should)?
Yes, had both enabled. The idea was to use scenes to switch from Amp 1 ch A, to Amp 2 ch A. Also Amp A switches to ch B. Then switch back to Amp 1 ch B while Amp 2 switches to ch B. The idea is to repeat this back & forth to have 8 seamless amp channel changes but it didn't work, still had gaps. Maybe it will work now but haven't tried it since before v5.00. It does work just using the Mix to switch back & forth between Amp 1 & 2 with no channel changes. I would think the Mux change would happen first making the channel change happen in the background but no luck.

Yes, had both enabled. The idea was to use scenes to switch from Amp 1 ch A, to Amp 2 ch A. Also Amp A switches to ch B. Then switch back to Amp 1 ch B while Amp 2 switches to ch B. The idea is to repeat this back & forth to have 8 seamless amp channel changes but it didn't work, still had gaps. Maybe it will work now but haven't tried it since before v5.00. It does work just using the Mix to switch back & forth between Amp 1 & 2 with no channel changes. I would think the Mux change would happen first making the channel change happen in the background but no luck.
Yeah, I haven't tried it... All of presets are currently staying with 1 channel of 1 Amp block.

I will probably add a 2nd amp block soon, specifically to change between 2 amps seamlessly. I'll experiment with changing channels or using the Mux.

Yeah, I haven't tried it... All of presets are currently staying with 1 channel of 1 Amp block.

I will probably add a 2nd amp block soon, specifically to change between 2 amps seamlessly. I'll experiment with changing channels or using the Mux.
It worked great switching between just the 2 amps but once a channel change was involved on the amp that is no longer active, the drop outs started. I really hope it works now & will test it out later. I don't need 8 different amps but it would be nice to get more than 2 with seamless switching.

The answer is always the same - upgrade to the latest FW and then share the preset here, we'll get it fixed

Back
Top Bottom