How to assign boost of amp to an external switch?

pierre.pan

Hi everybody,

I want to do this thing :

assign the boost (modifier button) of the amp on an external switch, is it possible?

Actually i have assign this to an exp pedal but it's just an on/off and it's a pity to use it for that...

i'm a bit confused with modifier, ext control, switch... a bit complex

thanks a lot

Pierre

if you want to be able to switch it on, it can only be done with your volume pedal as you're doing now or in a scene. if you want it on all the time build a patch with the boost switch on. Je parle Francais si cest plus facile pour vous.

A switch can activate amp block boost. Assign an Ext Ctrl as boost modifier and note the Ext Ctrl's CC# in I/O: CTRL menu. Assuming switch is connected to a MIDI controller, you'll have to configure the switch to toggle 0/127 for that CC#.

A switch can activate amp block boost. Assign an Ext Ctrl as boost modifier and note the Ext Ctrl's CC# in I/O: CTRL menu. Assuming switch is connected to a MIDI controller, you'll have to configure the switch to toggle 0/127 for that CC#.
thanks a lot but, can you explain step by step, i'm french and all those things are difficiults for me... my switch is connected to an mfc101 mk1

if you want to be able to switch it on, it can only be done with your volume pedal as you're doing now or in a scene. if you want it on all the time build a patch with the boost switch on. Je parle Francais si cest plus facile pour vous.
This is just not true...

thanks a lot but, can you explain step by step, i'm french and all those things are difficiults for me... my switch is connected to an mfc101 mk1
Configure your external switch to send a specific midi CC#. Let's use 100 as an example.

Set the OFF value to 0, set the ON value to 127.

On the Axe Fx, assign the CC# you used for the switch to be the CC# assigned for one of the External Controllers. For example, External 5.

So, MFC switch set up to send CC#100 for external switch. Axe Fx set up for CC#100 assigned to External Controller 5.

In your preset, assign External 5 as the modifier on Amp Boost.

Configure your external switch to send a specific midi CC#. Let's use 100 as an example.

On the Axe Fx, assign the CC# you used for the switch to be the CC# assigned for one of the External Controllers. For example, External 5.

So, MFC switch set up to send CC#100 for external switch. Axe Fx set up for CC#100 assigned to External Controller 5.

Wow, thanks a lot, i will try this tomorrow!!!

Hi, i have finaly tested your tip and its very good but i have just a problem:

my switch is physicaly a momentary switch (i have tried with std toggle too)

on the mfc:

- xs1 type momentary (toggle don't work) (edit/setup)
- xs1 cc87, ch1, tog (edit/midi)
- xs1 off 000 on 127

on the axe fx:

- i/o/ctrl/external5 87

preset:

modifier of boost amp assign to external5, and pc reset on

i have an issue when:
- i play a preset with the boost on (amp boost)
- when i change to a preset with the boost off (pc reset on), the new preset have no boost (ok) but the external switch is not to off, so when i want to put the boost i have to push 3 times on the switch, one push do nothing, the second a ploc and the third engage the boost...the problem is the same when the first preset has an exp pedal as the boost modifier

of course i don't have this problem when the first preset has no boost engaged

don't know if there is a solution, i think i have tried all the ways...

Hi, i have finaly tested your tip and its very good but i have just a problem:

my switch is physicaly a momentary switch (i have tried with std toggle too)

on the mfc:

- xs1 type momentary (toggle don't work) (edit/setup)
- xs1 cc87, ch1, tog (edit/midi)
- xs1 off 000 on 127

on the axe fx:

- i/o/ctrl/external5 87

preset:

modifier of boost amp assign to external5, and pc reset on

i have an issue when:
- i play a preset with the boost on (amp boost)
- when i change to a preset with the boost off (pc reset on), the new preset have no boost (ok) but the external switch is not to off, so when i want to put the boost i have to push 3 times on the switch, one push do nothing, the second a ploc and the third engage the boost...the problem is the same when the first preset has an exp pedal as the boost modifier

of course i don't have this problem when the first preset has no boost engaged

don't know if there is a solution, i think i have tried all the ways...
I no longer have any way to test this... I've moved on to Axe Fx III and FC-12.

I think there is another option called "send with preset" or something like that. Not sure if that is what you need or not.

I no longer have any way to test this... I've moved on to Axe Fx III and FC-12.

I think there is another option called "send with preset" or something like that. Not sure if that is what you need or not.

ok, anyway i thank you a lot for your help, it's more clear to me now!!

i think you're happy with your new axe,

have a great day, and thanks again

Hi, no its as i said, the switch isn't to off (physically) when i change preset, even with pc reset, so the sound is without amp boost, but the switch is on. No problem when i don't have amp boost on the first preset (switch off) and go to another without amp boost too.

This might work:

Configure an Internal CC (MFC manual section 6.1) to send CC#87, value 0 on preset changes. Presets should use the "off" value by default, but you could set off & on both to 0 to ensure 0 is sent for either state.

If your description of needing to press 3 times is accurate, the issue seems to be that momentary switch logic resets to "off" without sending the MIDI command on preset change. With PC Reset enabled this can require two presses to take control of the parameter and a third press to change it. (127 ignored because it matches last CC#87 value received, 0 taking control but matching boost off state, 127 finally setting boost on)

This might work:

Configure an Internal CC (MFC manual section 6.1) to send CC#87, value 0 on preset changes. Presets should use the "off" value by default, but you could set off & on both to 0 to ensure 0 is sent for either state.

If your description of needing to press 3 times is accurate, the issue seems to be that momentary switch logic resets to "off" without sending the MIDI command on preset change. With PC Reset enabled this can require two presses to take control of the parameter and a third press to change it. (127 ignored because it matches last CC#87 value received, 0 taking control but matching boost off state, 127 finally setting boost on)

Hi and thanks for the answer, i will try this tomorrow, i hope! perhaps will i have to modify the preset internal cc states (mfc manual 6.2) too, i come back after the test. Thanks again, have a good day!

This might work:

Hey Bakerman, it works! thanks a lot for your help, now i will try with a toggle switch, i hope it will be the same.

don't work with one of my preset, i don't know why, i have checked all the parameters in midi and preset menu but there is one bug in one situation, preset two is the "guilty"

- preset one boost off
- to preset 2, it have boost on and two push on the switch to boost off (this is this case i don't understand)

- preset 2 boost off
- to preset one, boost off (ok) and switch action ok

- preset one boost on
- to preset two, boost off (ok) and switch action ok

- preset two boost on
- to preset one, boost off (ok) ans switch action ok

Answer if you can but don't waste your time, it's complex!

Thanks again for your help, hope i can do the same one day

It sounds like Axe-FX preset 2 is stored with boost on. Check that on the front panel, then adjust and save if needed. (If the modifier has control, boost won't audibly toggle, but the on/off text will change and the new value will be stored.)

Back
Top Bottom