Perceived phase issues

Bman

Power User
Im partial to an cab block I’ve set up with two IR’s (57 & 121). So far it’s been the clear winner. But some times or some days it sounds out of phase or boxxy thru my Xitone. I can’t figure out if it’s real or my ears are deceiving me. I’ve experienced this with other IRs, particularly mixed mics. Both OH and YA IRs... My current fave doesn’t do it often but every know and then I’ll hear it.

Is this the first signs of dimentia?

No. I think it's just that you get used to the sound and it does not bother, then you become aware of it and it sucks. At least that's my opinion.
I ordinarily try to avoid mixed IRs because of that. Sometimes a good combination of IRs has no phasing issue. Sometimes they are horrible.
Sometimes a little smoothing takes the comb filtering away or brings it down sufficiently that it does not matter.

Then again, sometimes that phasey sound is what you want to get the right tone (think Brian May). Personally I can't even play with a 2x12 loaded with different speakers because the phase issues drive me nuts.

Anyhow, try a little smoothing on one of your IRs and see if it makes a difference. Or just play with the mix values. Or just stick to he 1x12 IRs!

No. I think it's just that you get used to the sound and it does not bother, then you become aware of it and it sucks. At least that's my opinion.
I ordinarily try to avoid mixed IRs because of that. Sometimes a good combination of IRs has no phasing issue. Sometimes they are horrible.
Sometimes a little smoothing takes the comb filtering away or brings it down sufficiently that it does not matter.

Then again, sometimes that phasey sound is what you want to get the right tone (think Brian May). Personally I can't even play with a 2x12 loaded with different speakers because the phase issues drive me nuts.

Anyhow, try a little smoothing on one of your IRs and see if it makes a difference. Or just play with the mix values. Or just stick to he 1x12 IRs!

What is 'smoothing'? I don't have AXEdit up at the moment and don't recall a parameter like that. Is it a process?

Fortunately, the phasey sound doesn't occur that often or I should say I don't notice it very often. And I've never spotted it on a track I recorded. But I'm glad to hear that it's not just me and hopefully it doesn't start occurring more frequently.

Smoothing is not in AX8.
Do you have phase transformed versions of the two cabs or are they real phase?

Smoothing is not in AX8.
Do you have phase transformed versions of the two cabs or are they real phase?

Don't know. It's OH 412 MRBW RAW OH1-M+ and OH 412 MRBW RAW CUT + 121

I don't know the science behind it but that combo seems to beat out all others.

When you import the cans you have an option to do a minimal phase transform. You could try that. But I think OH IRs should be in phase.

Back
Top Bottom