The Axe-Fx 3 works only at 48Khz

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFSakes... what’s wrong with the analog outs? I get that USB may be more convienent, but truely, what’s is more important? What are your priorities?

Completing a project, or demanding to stay all digital at 44.1@16bits?

I know what I’d do ... quit being inefficient with analysis-paralysis and either 1) sell the AxeFx3; 2) get a SRC, 3) set the DAW to support the down sample or 4) just use the analog balanced outs and move forward in life.

You know your choices. Move foward... being pedantic ain’t heppin’ nobuddy.

Yamaha Montage is locked at 44.1k
Nope - the Montage will do 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz and 192kHz. I have one right here and use it every day.

And for those of you saying the Axe has to be Master - this is also wrong. Go to Setup/IO/Audio - literally the first option is a selectable internal/external word clock.

I use a couple of UA Apollo x8s - the AxeFX III runs into one of the digital inputs and the UA Console will convert the sample rate if needed on the fly with a click of a button. No real hassle and the results are fine.

This does however tie up one of the spdif inputs, which I would rather use for something else (ie outboard gear that doesn't have a USB option). Same goes for those saying "Just use the analog outputs". I have 16 analog ins on the Apollos, all of which are full. I would rather not be unplugging and replugging all the time and having to rename channels in the UA Console. Since the AxeFX HAS a USB digital audio output, I would prefer to use it - it's neater, more cost effective, more efficient and more featured, but unfortunately I can't as it is locked at 48kHz.

So much hostility and aggression from the usual cabal of apologists over the wish for a simple 44.1/48Khz user selectable rate!

Jim told a different thing, it seems you don't need to spend 700$ dollar in a useless hardware SRC if you have the right audio interface.
So if anyone know something about how to practically do what Jim said it will be really helpful.
His answer specified "an audio interface that can re-sample..." so it obviously depends on your audio interface.
What audio interface are you using? To what device are you plugging in the AES/SPDIF cables? Look in that device's manual.

So much hostility and aggression from the usual cabal of apologists over the wish for a simple 44.1/48Khz user selectable rate!

Big different between saying “I wish the III could have a selectable rate” and “the design is stupid, the designer has no clue about modern studio work etc” though isn’t there ?

Come in with hostility and aggression and you generally will get it in return, true in life, true on forums. Only difference is people are emboldened on forums to say things they wouldn’t otherwise say in person.

If Cliff was sitting around with a few fellow FAS employees having a drink would someone walk up and say his design is stupid, he doesn’t understand studio production etc ? Probably not; my guess is they’d preset their arguments in a far more civil manner.

Stomp into the establishment ranting “hey Cliff F’ing Chase... I’ve got a F’ing bone to pick with you....” and people would respond differently.

Simple as that, get back what you put out. Little civility, little respect, present your thoughts and ideas in a calm and rational manner, maybe type up a response and wait 5 minutes before hitting send.... it all goes a long ways.

Ok, let's talk about an ipotetic scenario and see what you guys would do:

I've got a project from a client set at 44.1 with guitar DIs recorded in it, I want to reamp those DIs with AXE FX3.
There is a way to do that in the digital domain without going back to analog?
How could i do that?
You could bounce the guitar DI from a 44.1k project to a 48k project, reamp through Axe-Fx III, then bounce that file back to 44.1k project. The DAW should handle the SRC this way.

Big different between saying “I wish the III could have a selectable rate” and “the design is stupid, the designer has no clue about modern studio work etc” though isn’t there ?

Come in with hostility and aggression and you generally will get it in return, true in life, true on forums. Only difference is people are emboldened on forums to say things they wouldn’t otherwise say in person.

Simple as that, get back what you put out. Little civility, little respect, present your thoughts and ideas in a calm and rational manner, maybe type up a response and wait 5 minutes before hitting send.... it all goes a long ways.

100% this.

So, you didn’t read the designer’s rationale?

I mean all those “stupid” artist and pros, and thousands of us who have no such issues are just as stupid and wrong? <confused?>:confused:

Hope you find your cool soon. Immagonna jam on my stupid black box!

Nobody reads anymore don't you realize? Just say whatever they want behind their keyboards, without preface or context

Nobody talks either, so it's impossible to collaborate with others and get them to click '48k' in the dropdown menu

Nobody listens none either, cuz there are about 7 or more solutions here that will easily help the OP accomplish what he needs. Sure, you have to make a mouse click here or there or plug in a cable or two or shoot an email beforehand, but they will all accomplish the same end result

I'm guessing the end result isn't really that important cuz we're still here after all these pages of good advice.....

Fractal Audio systems was founded on the basis of QUALITY, a flag they have flown DAMNED high....higher than any other company I've ever seen.

To that end, they have made design considerations to achieve that end, whilst making the products usable, accessible and somehow even affordable.

One of these obviously was the reasoning to fix the unit at 48k, which is well explained if you take a minute to read. Reducing it to 44.1 yielded undesirable lack of quality and that's simply put, not what they are about.

As an electrical engineer myself, I would personally make the same call as Cliff - reducing the quality would only bring the quality of the unit into question, and more people would notice and have more issue with it than the couple stubborn users who refuse to change with the times. This would bring the Fractal name down to that of the POD, and it's honestly not worth the risk. Digital already has such a stigma that they have worked so hard to remove - to throw that away for what? One click convenience?

The unit has limitations, just as everything except the non-MCU Hulk. Learn to understand the unit, and you'll learn to work with the limitations or even around them. It simply has limitations, because well...physics....

I'm sure Cliff can make a 6 DSP 128GB unit with a 64x64 grid, hex string processing, USB 64in64out interface, 4 amp blocks, 8 cab blocks, octa-channel 192k beast unit that would cost about 8 grand, but there's still gonna be someone complaining that he NEEDS that 11th ultra reverb block, 5th amp block, 10,001th cab slot made available, etc etc.

Sorry guys, it doesn't make coffee...that would be convenient too, but this is a unit built on QUALITY not the convenience of trying to please everyone with 200 simultaneous shoddy fx and lesser than acceptable audio quality. This is Fractal Audio, not L6.

The prob with forums is like people driving cars that cut you off....may be your best friend if you met them in real life....but behind the wheel of a car they become a holes. This whole thread has been an Interesting read and I see both sides points but starting in on each other wont suddenly make said feature appear in a firmware update.

If you increase the sample rate from 48kHz to 96kHz you double the strain on the CPU and cut the number of available effects, etc... by half. Plus the analog outs are pretty great.

@jon you nailed it. I was going to write something similar, but I think you've eloquently expressed what I wanted to say. I think people really underestimate the amount of engineering (and support) effort required for seemingly simple changes. It's a lot more than just adding a setting to switch one number from 48000 to 44100 or 96000. There are also always compromises to be made in adding those kind of options too, and I'm sure they have been considered.

...Actually I do not like the new design of the foot controller at all and I pointed out that it looked like a Line6 unit. If I one day decide to buy an Axe Fx III I will use a different fot controller. Probably an RJM. Mainly because the new controller does not have enough IA switches. Yes Fractal Audio makes good products, but not all solutions are what they should be.

I have no dog in this hunt, since I don't use my Axe-Fx to record (yet), but I feel compelled to point out that criticizing a foot controller device you've never used is fallacious at best. I can get more done with the 6 buttons on my FC-6 that I could ever hope to do with my MFC-101.

When the Axe III was announced, I'll admit I was surprised to see that it was still locked at 48KHz, purely for ease of studio integration reasons.

I have no dog in this hunt, since I don't use my Axe-Fx to record (yet), but I feel compelled to point out that criticizing a foot controller device you've never used is fallacious at best. I can get more done with the 6 buttons on my FC-6 that I could ever hope to do with my MFC-101.
Well I come from the land of huge racks and Bradshaw rigs. Instant access switches is a must.
I need minimum 5 presets and 10 IA switches. If you only do scene switching or presets the new ones is probably ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom