Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I am only into the Vintage bank of Tweeds so far on ver.5

List the exact amps you use (you did some) and I will listen and let you know if anything is seriously off on TonePack with any of them?

Thanks man. I named them all. For Marshall’s I use a Plexi, JCM 800 and a 34. I use the Silver Jubilee and the ODS sometimes also.

Last edited:
Thanks man. I named them all. For Marshall’s I use a Plexi, JCM 800 and a 34. I use the Silver Jubilee and the ODS sometimes also.

Hi Curious: After a soft amp reset (that preserves key parameters values via FracTool under 5.02), the DNA is the same in these amps you mention. You do have to lower the bass in the Friedman Small Box since that changed, as posted prior.

You may perceive the prior 1.17 presets under 5.02 to have slightly increased gain, thicker on bottom end, maybe a little less bright. All that can be handled from main amp page for your final dial-in.

Don't try it amp re-setter yourself unless you know what you are doing, and make backups first. After resetting amps via FracTool, I am finding some of my presets now have both amp blocks "on" -one should always be muted. If something sounds too loud after that process, go to the amp block not being used (Scenes 1-4 use Amp1, Scenes 5-8 use Amp2) and both mute it and also set it's Bypass mode to MUTE.

The big issue for me in updating these is every preset has/uses a drive pedal. I am probably going to have to delete all three drive pedals in every preset in the TonePack before, as they were created under FW 1.17 and most sound wrong now. And I also think possibly it's messing with my Axe-III Edit (drive block definitions have changed, and 1.1.3 Axe-Edit is maybe "seeing" a old FW 1.17 drive block and not liking that, wanting to see a FW 5.02 one) - frustratingly, my Axe-Edit is not behaving right now, when it's normally very smooth, it is acting strange and unreliable - and I suspect some drive block string definition conflict may be a part of the issue, we'll see. Maybe i'm wrong.

Sucks (for me, and customers eager to get update) in short term to add yet another layer of time-intensive work before it can all be updated and done, but in long term next 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack for Axe-III version will more and have better drive block options available.

Hi Curious: After a soft amp reset (that preserves key parameters values via FracTool under 5.02), the DNA is the same in these amps you mention. You do have to lower the bass in the Friedman Small Box since that changed, as posted prior.

You may perceive the prior 1.17 presets under 5.02 to have slightly increased gain, thicker on bottom end, maybe a little less bright. All that can be handled from main amp page for your final dial-in.

Don't try it amp re-setter yourself unless you know what you are doing, and make backups first. After resetting amps via FracTool, I am finding some of my presets now have both amp blocks "on" -one should always be muted. If something sounds too loud after that process, go to the amp block not being used (Scenes 1-4 use Amp1, Scenes 5-8 use Amp2) and both mute it and also set it's Bypass mode to MUTE.

The big issue for me in updating these is every preset has/uses a drive pedal. I am probably going to have to delete all three drive pedals in every preset in the TonePack before, as they were created under FW 1.17 and most sound wrong now. And I also think possibly it's messing with my Axe-III Edit (drive block definitions have changed, and 1.1.3 Axe-Edit is maybe "seeing" a old FW 1.17 drive block and not liking that, wanting to see a FW 5.02 one) - frustratingly, my Axe-Edit is not behaving right now, when it's normally very smooth, it is acting strange and unreliable - and I suspect some drive block string definition conflict may be a part of the issue, we'll see. Maybe i'm wrong.

Sucks (for me, and customers eager to get update) in short term to add yet another layer of time-intensive work before it can all be updated and done, but in long term next 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack for Axe-III version will more and have better drive block options available.
Thanks @austinbuddy I know this is a huge amount of work for you. Much appreciated. Can’t wait for the update.

@austinbuddy I just want to be sure I know what you mean by "soft amp reset." You mentioned in another thread that a simple/soft amp reset is when you switch to another amp, then back to original amp (as opposed to doing a block reset). Is that correct? Thanks.

@austinbuddy I just want to be sure I know what you mean by "soft amp reset." You mentioned in another thread that a simple/soft amp reset is when you switch to another amp, then back to original amp (as opposed to doing a block reset). Is that correct? Thanks.

Yes - that is a "soft amp reset" -- but a soft amp reset will still change some preset amp settings like presence, overdrive and master I think, so you should write down the main amp page settings so you can restore them to right values after soft reset. It leaves drive, bass, mid, treble alone.

Do a few experiments so you can see what changes/it does (and doesn't do)..

Always back everything up before you try this stuff, you can always retrieve original.

Thanks @austinbuddy for your efforts. Huge appreciation. I just purchased from you and am a bit bummed. This sort of issue is common in software industry and they don’t just update OS (firmware here) without making sure the primary software developers are ready (you).

In mean time while you resolve this, is it possible to install an older version of firmware? Like pre 5.0 so your settings, which I use almost exclusively work.

Thanks @austinbuddy for your efforts. Huge appreciation. I just purchased from you and am a bit bummed. This sort of issue is common in software industry and they don’t just update OS (firmware here) without making sure the primary software developers are ready (you).

In mean time while you resolve this, is it possible to install an older version of firmware? Like pre 5.0 so your settings, which I use almost exclusively work.

Yes - you can install 1.17 or 1.8 firmware and the presets - both mine and factory — will work as originally designed. I am working best I can to get update going. Firmware updates keep coming out fast ! We are at 5.05 already.

There is a great website maintained in France that has EVERY Fractal firmware ever released on it. I am on smart phone but will try to post link later or perhaps someone here will beat me to it.

But this isn't an OS and these aren't "software developers". This isn't a platform for applications...

Yes, it's a bummer that Buddy has to play catch-up here, but that's how it works. These types of packages are "bonus" material. And they're great, but

It's not like a computer OS where you can't really do anything without applications ;)

Yes - you can install 1.17 or 1.8 firmware and the presets - both mine and factory — will work as originally designed. I am working best I can to get update going. Firmware updates keep coming out fast ! We are at 5.05 already.

There is a great website maintained in France that has EVERY Fractal firmware ever released on it. I am on smart phone but will try to post link later or perhaps someone here will beat me to it.
Thank you. I took my firmware back to 4.03.

I followed your process for the Fractool re-setter, and I have an unconfirmed theory about this. I did the resets in two batches. The first batch didn't result in any presets with both amp blocks "on". The second batch did. In those case, it was always the default scene with the problem. The second batch was very small, so I just fixed those manually. The only difference was that the first time I didn't have Axe-Edit running, the second time I did. Maybe there's a correlation?

I followed your process for the Fractool re-setter, and I have an unconfirmed theory about this. I did the resets in two batches. The first batch didn't result in any presets with both amp blocks "on". The second batch did. In those case, it was always the default scene with the problem. The second batch was very small, so I just fixed those manually. The only difference was that the first time I didn't have Axe-Edit running, the second time I did. Maybe there's a correlation?
Paging @AlGrenadine - FYI!

This is a bit hard to follow. I understand that there are moving parts and that, like Unix-guy says, this isn't the software world, and we can't expected some sort of platform matrix of supported versions.

That being said, I would like advice from other veterans on a good starting point. I have a brand new axe-fx iii and fc-6, plus a new tech21 frfr powered speaker. My thought was to start off with the 1000 naked amps as a baseline for everything that I do going forward. My focus will be to zero in on 5-10 favorite amp tones, figure out how to make my frfr sound great and as natural as possible, and then add effects to build my own presets, incorporating into the FC-6 to make the rig stage-ready ASAP.

So, the question is for experienced users is, which firmware should I start with that will allow me to use the 1000 amps pack and the foot controller as seamlessly as possible. I want to avoid having to start with tweaking my own sounds, and weeding through bugs and fixes. Since I don't really know what I'm doing, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm OK with earlier versions as long as everything works, but I'm not sure where to start.

If you haven't started yet, update to the latest firmware and then load up the presets after converting them with FracTools. Adjust them till you have the sound and feel you want and then never update again. Most people lack the discipline for this as they want the bug fixes and new features that come with the updates but of course you don't have to. The problem is that each firmware can bring with it some sound changes and it depends on what works for you. For instance, I think there was a post from the Metallica tech somewhere back in the v3 firmware range that they just uploaded the latest version and played with it that night but this approach may not work for you.

Makes sense, I wouldn't start with a lower version unless recommended for some reason. FracTools is a new one on me. I did find the software though after a quick search- is this required because the 100 amps were created with an earlier firmware? Confused why I need a 3rd party app for this function, but I'm assuming it exists for good reasons and this is part of the learning curve I signed up for when I bought the Axe-FX 3!

Yes AxeEdit running along FracTool is for adventurous only ;)

This is a bit hard to follow. I understand that there are moving parts and that, like Unix-guy says, this isn't the software world, and we can't expected some sort of platform matrix of supported versions.

That being said, I would like advice from other veterans on a good starting point. I have a brand new axe-fx iii and fc-6, plus a new tech21 frfr powered speaker. My thought was to start off with the 1000 naked amps as a baseline for everything that I do going forward. My focus will be to zero in on 5-10 favorite amp tones, figure out how to make my frfr sound great and as natural as possible, and then add effects to build my own presets, incorporating into the FC-6 to make the rig stage-ready ASAP.

So, the question is for experienced users is, which firmware should I start with that will allow me to use the 1000 amps pack and the foot controller as seamlessly as possible. I want to avoid having to start with tweaking my own sounds, and weeding through bugs and fixes. Since I don't really know what I'm doing, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm OK with earlier versions as long as everything works, but I'm not sure where to start.

Personaly, I think the 1000 naked amps presets sound great on the latest update. I may have tweaked the eq on a few presets, but I did that anyways when I first bought and downloaded them.

Back
Top Bottom