Preset Banks selected by number

Guitarman69

Inspired
I am on 1.05 and 5.05 firmware.I am using an FC-6, Preset Layout 1. I have set my 4 presets to be selected by number using switches 1,2,4 and 5. Switches 3 and 6 are for bank +1 and -1. When I press a bank +/- I see the bank for a second in the Main display. ex.000 (001-004). Nothing changes on the other switches displays.

If set to select in bank,the displays change as I press bank +/- as expected.

When using select by number, are we only able to use those 4 presets? Will I be better off to not use switches 3 and 6 for bank and just add a couple of more presets selected by number? I have read the banks and presets pages in the manual repeatedly but cannot find the answer. Am I missing something in my setup or is this a set limitation for choosing presets by numbers? Is only one bank available to program presets by number?

You want select in bank, not select by number, for your preset switches. Then they’ll change labels as you bank up and down.

You want select in bank, not select by number, for your preset switches. Then they’ll change labels as you bank up and down.

I actually do want the select by number. The labels are not my main concern here, it's how much is available for selecting by number. I want to use specific presets that are not banked together in the III without having to rearrange them. I don't have a song list per say, so it's just more convenient to select the number rather than rearrange my presets for what is needed at the time.

My question is whether there is only one bank available for doing this. I can get up to 6 presets with select by number or 12 presets with the toggle by number option if I do away with the bank +/-. The bank switches just take away from 2 more preset switches if I can't use them in this application. Does that make sense?:)

I can always copy my layout to another layout and link them to add more presets by number if there is not a way to bank or scroll to them.

Anyone using the FC in this manner?

I am on 1.05 and 5.05 firmware.I am using an FC-6, Preset Layout 1. I have set my 4 presets to be selected by number using switches 1,2,4 and 5. Switches 3 and 6 are for bank +1 and -1. When I press a bank +/- I see the bank for a second in the Main display. ex.000 (001-004). Nothing changes on the other switches displays.

If set to select in bank,the displays change as I press bank +/- as expected.

When using select by number, are we only able to use those 4 presets? Will I be better off to not use switches 3 and 6 for bank and just add a couple of more presets selected by number? I have read the banks and presets pages in the manual repeatedly but cannot find the answer. Am I missing something in my setup or is this a set limitation for choosing presets by numbers? Is only one bank available to program presets by number?

Preset Select by number selects a particular number preset and the bank selection has no effect on it. You can actually select two presets per switch by using tap and hold, but there's no way to change the selection in use.

From the manual:

"PRESET: SELECT BY NUMBER

Creates a footswitch that is “hard-wired” to a specific preset. For example, a switch that selects Preset 1, or Preset 442.

Preset – Designates the desired Preset by its number on the Axe-Fx III.
€ The LED ring is bright when the designated preset is loaded, otherwise dim."

Danny W.

Last edited:
Nope... Select by number is for selecting a specific preset by number.

See the post (from the manual) right before yours. ;)
I don't know what you're talking about. Select by number, as implemented on the four switches the OP has setup with select by number, only allows him to select those four specific presets with those four switches and nothing more. It is working precisely as intended. So to answer OP's question, "When using select by number, are we only able to use those 4 presets?", the answer is, "Yes. hat's precisely what select by number is designed to do." -- which is what I said.

I don't know what you're talking about. Select by number, as implemented on the four switches the OP has setup with select by number, only allows him to select those four specific presets with those four switches and nothing more. It is working precisely as intended. So to answer OP's question, "When using select by number, are we only able to use those 4 presets?", the answer is, "Yes. hat's precisely what select by number is designed to do." -- which is what I said.
Nevermind... After reading thru all of the posts 3 times, I realized the context of your answer. :oops:

Sorry for the noise...

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I am not asking the question correctly.

I understand how the standard bank up and down method works. I understand that I can only use the presets that I select in the select by number method.

As I stated, I can set up my layout to give me 6 or 12 presets, depending on if I’m using select by number or toggle by number option and removing the bank switches.

So. Other than copying my layout and creating 1 or more layout links, is there any other way to make it so I can enter more select by number presets to choose from?

“Is only one bank available to program presets by number? “ was my original question. My apologies if I didn’t use the correct terms. I don’t know what to refer to a group of custom number presets as. Bank, page, layer? Dunno. Sorry for the confusion.

I never used the set list feature on the MFC 101 when I had one. Is this what I am trying to accomplish? I can see why it is wished for by so many if this is the case.

Thanks again.

I believe what you're trying to accomplish would require many layouts.
Layout A - 12 presets
Layout B - 12 presets, etc.
So if you need switches to select specific presets it seems you're limited to the number of layouts you can afford to re-program for this purpose.

Perfect. That’s the answer I was looking for. I have layouts to spare, I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t overlooking an alternative method . Thank you!

I believe what you're trying to accomplish would require many layouts.
Layout A - 12 presets
Layout B - 12 presets, etc.
So if you need switches to select specific presets it seems you're limited to the number of layouts you can afford to re-program for this purpose.

The way I look at it:

6 switches X 2 actions X 10 layouts = 120 possible actions.

Reserving 1 switch per layout for up/down navigation leaves 100 possible Preset Select By Number settings, so if all you need to do is direct-select presets, knock yourself out! :)

Danny W.

Back
Top Bottom