Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas HH FR Pickups

What you are describing is pretty much what I don't like about the bridge humbucker. It's not very dynamic and sort of goes from semi-loud to fuzzy distorted instead of semi-loud to scream when you turn it up.

One fundamental piece of info is that the JB is a higher output pickup which by default has those characteristics. A lower output pickup such as a PAF is clearer and more dynamic (generally speaking). There are different schools of thought as well as varying applications but I prefer the PAF over all because of the versatility. If I want to get into JB territory I just use a boost in front of the amp.

Last edited:
....A lower output pickup such as a PAF is clearer and more dynamic (generally speaking). There are different schools of thought as well as varying applications but I prefer the PAF over all because of the versatility. If I want to get into JB territory I just use a boost in front of the amp.
Same here. While the general rule of thought is that it's better to cut than to boost I find it faster to sculpt a tone from a relatively flat starting point than to have to search for the frequencies I need to cut.

Note that higher output pickups were created to push the front end of tube amps. That's precisely what lead to the Dimarzio Super Distortion being born but with the Axe FX you do not have to do that.

I pulled out the JB from my Sunset Orange Flake pro-mod before I even played it once. I had a zebra 59/Custom Hybrid (SH-16?) waiting, ready to go. I normally love the Custom but I figured this might match up better output wise to the 59. Turns out they are a great match (for me at least.) and are pretty close output wise. I also like the wide frequency response range it gives due to the unbalanced coils.

Thanks for all the great input. I looked at the StewMac treble bleed. My issue is more with tone at the top end than all the way through the circuit, so It don't know that will be the fix. Easy enough to try with their alligator clip solution though.

Changing the wiring seems like it would get me what I want as far as tone goes. One reason I got this guitar though was to have something a little hotter than my Strat to trade with my PRS SC245, so I don't have to adjust input pad at gigs. It seems like changing the wiring would drop the output a lot. So I may just change the pick up eventually.

What kind of music do you play, Hellbat where the 59/Custom hybrid works so well?

Yeah you can still have the split option.....the usual options are series/parallel or series/split, but the parallel/split is do-able once the tech knows.what he's doing :)

I don't like 'hot' pickups.....I mean when I was 18 sure!!! More was more!!! But now that I'm a little older I HATE those hot pickups....the more vintage low output ones always sound better to me now

Matter of fact, with the axe fx, I'm usually excited to try out cheap guitars now!!! Most of those are low output, weak magnets wound with thin wire with just a few turns compared to modern ones....you get that 'vintage' sound...just like way back when they didn't know a whole lot about pickup making...you don't get that on more expensive ones because they obviously spend more money on 'good' pickups

You might want to research what Guthrie Govan uses in his Charvels. I doubt it's a high output p/u. I could be wrong. His signature guitar has a Charvel pickup, which I suppose is proprietary and unique to that guitar. Typically Charvels go with Duncans or Dimarzio.

I'm not sure that changing the wiring is going to do anything to solve your dislike for the higher output JB.

What kind of music do you play, Hellbat where the 59/Custom hybrid works so well?

I play a super wide variety of music. I am in a cover band with 3 female singers that take turns singing lead and harmonies. The bass player also tackles the occasional male lead. We play music from the Andrews Sisters to Adele to the Cars to Thin Lizzy. For anything clean to gritty, I tend to use the 59 in the neck just because it's perfect for that. Sometimes I'll play with the selector in the middle for some extra 'plink'. The 59/Custom Hybrid gives good tones from mild to wild. It's really balanced across the frequencies with a bit extra mids compared to the Custom alone, which is a little bit scooped. The output level would be between somewhere between a 59 and a JB.

I have a Charvel with a 59/JB also. I hated the neck. It literally destroys my hands. I loved the sound so much I bought a Fender Player with the intention of modding it to sound like the Charvel. For me the Charvel is the most uncomfortable best sounding sexy looking guitar available.
Do you mind if I ask what the neck did to your hands? It is probably not related as I am starting to get arthritis in other places, but I have played this San Dimas a LOT since I got it and am noticing a new constant pain in my fretting hand forearm on the muscle a little below the elbow.

Any opinion on replacing the Seymour Duncan JB bridge pick up in this San Dimas with a PRS 59/09? I have the latter in a PRS single cut and like it a lot. What I am trying to change is I find the JB can be both shrill and boomy. I also don't like the way it reacts when you roll up the volume. It gets fuzzy instead of screaming.

Back
Top Bottom