"Stone in Love" 2nd Solo

Sounds to me you got everything pretty much right and all you need is a little more time playing it so you can play it with conviction to nail that Neil Schon attitude.
Thanks man - He's one of my all-time favorite guitar players with a style all his own. practice practice practice! :)

Sounds good!

Any gigs coming up around the D?
I wish - don’t get down there really. My main gig (besides work!) is an acoustic duo. The other band is a country and rock band that plays about one weekend a month but usually locally. Maybe I need to get in a band down there! Lol

Schon's phrasing is so awesome. I recently read that Jonathan Cain said all of the solos on Escape were done with a Roland JC. For some reason they got a tone that beat out the Marshalls. I love the tone on 'Who's Crying Now". It's got a nasal quality that makes it sound 'tubey' to me. It's hard to believe that it may have been a solid state Roland.

Next task: tackle the solo on "Feeling that Way" :p. I love that solo even tho it's not difficult. It's just a really well phrased solo that flows. I can cheat my way through it but I don't have the attention span to learn solos note for note anymore. Instead, I find myself doing things that are more productive like tweaking advanced parameters that only I can tell make a difference :rolleyes::( only to come back the next day after my ears have rested and realize it sounds a tad crappier than when I started...lol.

Schon's phrasing is so awesome. I recently read that Jonathan Cain said all of the solos on Escape were done with a Roland JC. For some reason they got a tone that beat out the Marshalls. I love the tone on 'Who's Crying Now". It's got a nasal quality that makes it sound 'tubey' to me. It's hard to believe that it may have been a solid state Roland.

Next task: tackle the solo on "Feeling that Way" :p. I love that solo even tho it's not difficult. It's just a really well phrased solo that flows. I can cheat my way through it but I don't have the attention span to learn solos note for note anymore. Instead, I find myself doing things that are more productive like tweaking advanced parameters that only I can tell make a difference :rolleyes::( only to come back the next day after my ears have rested and realize it sounds a tad crappier than when I started...lol.

haaha..that cracked me up. I still love trying to learn things as note-for-note as possible (if I have some free time) because most of the time I still feel like the 16 year old kid trying to learn how to play guitar, and remember that rush that I would get learning stuff from my guitar heroes back in the day. Of course, now I'm a 49 year old kid still trying to learn how to play guitar....but....I still get that rush. Playing along with people that I admire so much as players is still really fun to me. That's really cool about the JC!

And now with Fractal stuff - one can make the effort if they really want to - to try and dial in a sound that is so close to the recording it's scary. That's the part I usually fall short in - I just grab a preset that I use live and play. I had made some tweaks (always right?) to my live presets and last show I played the AX8 was on fire - it sounded SO good to me out front, in my FRFR, and in-ear that I actually didn't want the gig to end (even though a girl called me an a-hole because I wouldn't let her drunk a** step over the 3G worth of equipment I have on the floor. hahaha. I even said it politely - like ASKED her nicely if she could go in front of the mains instead. She didn't like that.

I'll have to check out that solo on "Feeling that Way" - I don't know it off the top of my head but I feel like I wanna learn some more Journey.

The only Schon like I know is that really fast 4 note pattern at the beginning of "Don't Stop Believing". I knew the picking pattern which is a nice exercise for economy picking.

I turn 50 later this year. Buying the AX8 has been everything I'd hoped it would be.....Awesome tones without having to crank my tube amps AND the ability to direct record the same exact tone. I went from playing maybe once or twice a month to playing (or tweaking) almost every day. Some days I'll go for the Elevated Jam Tracks random play lists. Some days it's my iTunes playlist, excluding the songs in Eb because I have to switch guitars for that. And lately, I'm woodshedding, learning what I should've learned when I was 12... the scales and theory.

I've fallen back in love with the guitar....so much that when I'm golfing, I sometimes wish I was at home jamming. Usually after a double bogey.

The only Schon like I know is that really fast 4 note pattern at the beginning of "Don't Stop Believing". I knew the picking pattern which is a nice exercise for economy picking.

The guy was the 'Star' of "We're Stars" - the Hearing Aid song that Dio and Vivian Campbell put together with every big name guitarist in the 80's. George Lynch and Eddie were my heroes growing up. I remember reading in Guitar magazine that Lynch was in awe that Neal Schon came in, set up and played in one take and it was the best take out of all of the other guitarists...according the George.

Yeah, it always bugged me that I couldn't pick it as fast as he does so I totally cheat and tap it - tap the first one, pull off the next 3 - sounds better than me trying to pick it, that's for sure. :)

Yeah, it always bugged me that I couldn't pick it as fast as he does so I totally cheat and tap it - tap the first one, pull off the next 3 - sounds better than me trying to pick it, that's for sure. :)
As I recall he uses straight alternate picking which is amazing but I just pick down - up - up - down and repeat. It's super easy that way.

The funny thing I never set out to learn the lick. I was just practicing the picking pattern and played it by accident.

Last edited:
As I recall he uses straight alternate picking which is amazing but I just pick down - up - up - down and repeat. It's super easy that way.

The funny thing I never set out to learn the lick. I was just practicing the picking pattern and played it by accident.

I saw a recent YT video where he shows the lick and it's different than I expected. I don't recall exactly but I think he plays it on two strings. I could be completely wrong too...... I just recall thinking wow, that's way easier or more efficient than I thought.

Yup, it's all done on two strings. E and D# on the B string then C# to B on the G string. The picking pattern is referenced in my previous post works perfect at least in terms of economy picking. When you make the string transition you're always picking in the direction of it.

And lately, I'm woodshedding, learning what I should've learned when I was 12... the scales and theory.

I've fallen back in love with the guitar....so much that when I'm golfing, I sometimes wish I was at home jamming. Usually after a double bogey.

When I bought the AX8 I was pretty sure it was going to be great for playing live and offer the versatility in my home studio I had longed for. What I didn't expect was to fall back in love with practicing again.

Back
Top Bottom