EQ on OUT1... what was I thinking...

Baldadi

Inspired
So I read in multiple places dat cutting bass <80hz and treble >8K solves a lot of common problems with getting a more usable sound overall and in the mix.

Upgrading firmware to 5.05 in combination with new potmeters on my Les Paul made some presets sound harsh and/or some bassy, so I thought, this is the time to actually do some EQ on the OUT1 to adjust and experiment with that.

Then, I started to jam along with some tunes and was quite unhappy with the overall sound while my guitar sounded quite okay... well, you probably guessed it: EQ on OUT1 also influences all your other audio coming out of your Mac/PC so all my iTunes songs sounded muffled and boring as well!
Maybe I'm the only one being this naïve but I thought let's share this experience...

I guess I have to dive into other options for EQ and search the forum some more. Trouble is that I use presets like Naked Amps, Fractal Presets and other/own presets which all have different routings and places in the chain where EQ is being used (amp block, CABs, PEQ, etc) so I am looking to something that is usable across as many presets as possible...

Tips welcome.

I usually put a param eq at the end of each of the presets that I'm going to use live or at rehearsal to get rid of harsh or boomy stuff. That said I don't use a lot of presets.

You could enable copy out1 to out2, that way you could use one out with eqs and the other without.
Hm, I don't think I understand... then I would somehow process the guitar signal WITH EQ to OUT1 and the USB audio coming from the Mac WITHOUT EQ to OUT2 and then bringing them back together to my studio-monitors (which are physically connected to OUT1)?
How would that work?

Hm, I don't think I understand... then I would somehow process the guitar signal WITH EQ to OUT1 and the USB audio coming from the Mac WITHOUT EQ to OUT2 and then bringing them back together to my studio-monitors (which are physically connected to OUT1)?
How would that work?
the best and maybe the only way to do that seamlessly is using a second interface/mixer as many of us do...there may be way a way to route it all in USB
audio but I dunno....

Easiest thing would be to use high and low cut in your cab block...this would only effect your guitar and not any other audio.
Yeah, I guess so. But then I would have to tweak on a preset/channel level, not on a generic (output) level.
I guess the option of a global EQ block added just before every OUTx is an option to try out...

Yeah, I guess so. But then I would have to tweak on a preset/channel level, not on a generic (output) level.
I guess the option of a global EQ block added just before every OUTx is an option to try out...

I like doing it via the cab block on a per-prest basis, because different IRs tend to benefit from different cutoff points. For me, one size doesn't necessarily fit all.

Easiest thing would be to use high and low cut in your cab block...this would only effect your guitar and not any other audio.

I like doing it via the cab block on a per-prest basis, because different IRs tend to benefit from different cutoff points. For me, one size doesn't necessarily fit all.
Good advice. This is the generally recommended solution.

Yup, this is the best solution.

If you want, you can still add an EQ block at the end of your preset and tweak that too....and use it as a template and copy and paste it on the other preset you use.

Unless you use a LOT of presets live......

Global EQ is generally to adjust to the room. if your guitar tone and USB sound good in one room, they can sound good in another room too. if the room has too much low end, then both your guitar and USB will have too much low end. that's when you reduce it using the Global EQ, and both will sound as they should with the same adjustment.

leave the EQ flat and be sure to reset it when you go back to your "tone creation" space. get things balanced there in the Preset. then the Global EQ will be effective for both. i don't suggest using the Global EQ as a "tone creation" tool.

How would that work?

Right! Doesn"t work for problem. Didn't understood at first what you want to do.

BTW If you want an EQ that works over all presets create an EQ block, link it as global block and copy it into all of your presets to the same place in the signal chain. When you now make changes to that EQ in any of these presets and save the preset your changes affect all other presets too that contain this global linked block. So you can have your own customized global peq. or 5 band or tilt filter or whatever you think could be helpful.

What about cutting high and low frequencies using the GEQ in the Amp block?
That’s what I also thought, but I’ll try to stick to the ‘best practices’ and the EQ global block first and see if that works for me...

With EQ, there’s just too many options to choose from!

Back
Top Bottom