Axe-Edit III 1.01.03

According to the wiki: Simply bypassing and engaging the MUX disables and enables its routing. This only allows you to switch between two sources. Note that bypassing the MUX will sum all inputs, which may have an impact on the signal level.
Have you tried bypassing it? Not happening here? There are no bypass control and bypass options on the hardware?

Wiki may be wrong, or the behavior has changed? Either way, the editor doesn't line up with the hardware?

What say you @Michael Pickens and @yek

Last edited:
So I had a really weird thing happen today. I'm running 1.01.03 Axe-Edit with 5.02.

On my Tweed Champ preset, the amp was set right in hardware unit, but the Axe-Edit III Amp Block lower left was reading the amp block name to be Friedman HBE 2018 instead of the 5F1 Tweed EC - yet all the Axe=Edit controls shown were for 5F1 Tweed EC.

It was weird. I ended and re-started program - no luck-- and re-booted and re-started - no luck. So I end up deleting the Library AxeIII settings files on my Mac, and restarting the program. It re-read all blocks definitions and all is back to normal now.

But strange... thought I'd mention here in case.

More weirdness...While working on updating presets (from 1.18 to 5.02). three different times tonight when I was loading a block library my Axe-Edit would get slower then choke up then begin reading block definitions on its' own, with no prompting. Hmmm....

@austinbuddy I had some odd issues earlier today. Same versions as you listed. The main issue when copying one scene to another, it would have the wrong scene copied. For example, I would copy Scene 4 to Scene 1. But Scene 6 blocks were all enabled on Scene 1 when finished. I would go to Scene 4, none of the Scene 6 blocks were enabled. I would again copy Scene 4 to Scene 1, and then Scene 1 was like 6. After a few times, I closed Axe-Edit out, re-opened as it felt like it was getting sluggish and with cpu at 71% for the preset. Anyway, it eventually started working again. I didn't have enough detailed info to post anything bug related. I chalked it up to maybe the GUI not registering what scene I might actually be on.

More weirdness...While working on updating presets (from 1.18 to 5.02). three different times tonight when I was loading a block library my Axe-Edit would get slower then choke up then begin reading block definitions on its' own, with no prompting. Hmmm....
Same problem..extremely slow. I double click on a preset and it takes about 30 secs to load in. Also doing the same as Austin Buddy...it reads block definitions on its own. Don't really wish to load in all my Austin Buddy presets + FA Library unless I really have to. Any ideas anyone?

Strange, no problem for me. I'm currently updating presets to 5.xx, I have tweaked more than 400 already and not a single bug

Strange, no problem for me. I'm currently updating presets to 5.xx, I have tweaked more than 400 already and not a single bug
Ok apologies I am on version 1.0104 and not earlier version. I went into Tools....show available devices and noticed there were no ports connected. Did a scan, connected and everything seems ok.
Although I am not sure how any of this worked previously (very very sluggish) with no device connected??

Fremen - curious -- are you using an FC12 running firmware 1.05 hooked up to it? Just looking at variables that may be causing it. I am using some custom layouts too... CS switches assigned to amp block features...

The III editor weirdness is happening again today...

After some use, Axe-Edit III starts reading and reporting incorrect amp block channel names when it polls the hardware - the amps are correct in hardware in the preset/unchanged from unit's front panel, but show up incorrectly in Axe-Edit.

It was working fine, but then my BludoOjai showed up in amp channel incorrectly as "Plex 6550". Yesterday my Tweed Champ was reading Freidman HBE. And so forth. Again, the hardware is showing correct amp - Axe-Edit polling of amp names/table by channel is somehow being altered.

I get weird GUI stuff too...a single shunt in signal chain will disappear and re-appear, or all blocks will flash off showing only shunts then blocks come back. It gets slow and then fast (uneven response).

The only amp block thing that is different for me is these presets all have a Control Switches, tied to FC12, that attach to turn on or off Amp Boost, Amp Fat, Amp Brightness, and Amp Saturate. I have an Amp Layout Page where I can access these. May have no bearing but thought I'd mention.

I am having to delete the editor's Library settings file and re-start (recreate) to get it to work again. A simple close and re-open or hardware re-boot doesn't fix it. I'm putting in 12-14 hours today to update presets and will report anything else I discover on this.

Looks to me with Axe-Edit III and FC12 both open, the hardware's front panel MIDI In button is constantly on/polling, off then on in cycles even when unit inactive - to be expected I suppose?

I stopped working/playing for a bit and let it just run until the MIDI in light stopped flashing altogether - and then boom, Axe-Edit disconnected for a minute, then started (unprompted) reading block definitions all over again. In fact, it just did that block initialization twice in a row -- without me touching a thing.

Something funky is going for sure...but at least it is not corrupting presets that I can tell (so far)...if I can isolate this, will report back. The work I'm doing by preset is attaching control switches (attached to Layout) to two amp blocks, adding a filter block with a Kicker Coil FC switch, and adding new drive blocks, changing scene and presets names, muting amp blocks not used in a scene. CPU running 50% to 70%. My AxeIII's USB runs straight into my Mac Pro cylinder (not through a hub). I'm going to switch USB cables too just to see if that makes a difference....

Yes but I'm running 5.02 public, not 5.03 beta (which was taken down), and sometimes the new Axe-Edit version doesn't play well with the prior version firmware - the notes on the new version seem to say "use with 5.03"...
5.05 is out now. :) I do not envy the race you run, sir.

Fremen - curious -- are you using an FC12 running firmware 1.05 hooked up to it? Just looking at variables that may be causing it. I am using some custom layouts too... CS switches assigned to amp block features...
I have a FC-12 but I didn't connected it while making the updates with firmware 5.03. Just installed 5.05 now.

Yes but I'm running 5.02 public, not 5.03 beta (which was taken down), and sometimes the new Axe-Edit version doesn't play well with the prior version firmware - the notes on the new version seem to say "use with 5.03"...
Ah, ok...

FYI, 5.03 was not beta ;)

The III editor weirdness is happening again... After some use, Axe-Edit III starts reading and reporting incorrect amp block channel names when it polls the hardware - the amps are correct in hardware in the preset/unchanged from front panel, but show up incorrectly in Axe-Edit.

It was working fine but then my BludoOjai showed up in amp channel incorrectly as "Plex 6550". Yesterday my Tweed Champ was reading Freidman HBE. And so forth. Again, the hardware is showing correct amp - Axe-Edit polling of amp names is somehow.

It did happen after I switched to FW 1.18 created preset briefly with the old version drive blocks present. On the updated presets I deleted old drive blocks, everything runs smoothly so far.

I am having to delete the editor's Library settings file and re-start (recreate) to get it to work again. A simple close and re-open. I'm putting in 12 hours today to update presets and will report anything else I discover on this.

Ah, ok...

FYI, 5.03 was not beta ;)

Fractal Website downloads says:

Firmware Ares v5.02
Zip Archive—March 25, 2019
If you need help updating, see the Owner’s Manual or this guide.

I tend to go by the Fractal website listing as the "official" public (non-beta) version. As we have seen, things change quickly. Cliff puts things out to public as beta, bugs get found, we get updated version, (repeat, rinse).

I have a FC-12 but I didn't connected it while making the updates with firmware 5.03. Just installed 5.05 now.

Thanks. I may be better off doing that - disconnecting FC12 altogether while I do Axe-III Edit updates, maybe that will stop the weirdness -- but I am trying to make sure the SCENE names fit in the SCENE mini-LCD windows on the FC12 for Naked Amps as part of the update process...

Fractal Website downloads says:

Firmware Ares v5.02
Zip Archive—March 25, 2019
If you need help updating, see the Owner’s Manual or this guide.

I tend to go by the Fractal website listing as the "official" public (non-beta) version. As we have seen, things change quickly. Cliff puts things out to public as beta, bugs get found, we get updated version, (repeat, rinse).
Beta firmware is published as beta - it always labeled and the file names also indicate that. The official download page on the site is not always current with what has been released, which is almost always on the forum first.

Just because it's not on the download page doesn't mean it's beta or that it's not official... But I understand you wanting to stay with using the firmware presented there.

Beta firmware is published as beta - it always labeled and the file names also indicate that. The official download page on the site is not always current with what has been released, which is almost always on the forum first.

Just because it's not on the download page doesn't mean it's beta or that it's not official... But I understand you wanting to stay with using the firmware presented there.
Yessir, I do get it. I blinked between 5.02 release/install and today's 5.05 and missed two versions it appears. Hahaha... all good!

Let me add, just in past few minutes, disconnecting the FC12 while running AxeII-Edit was smart. Everything is humming along as it should now -- MUCH faster.

Probably some type of redundant "double polling" with FC12, Axe-III and Axe-III Edit all on at same time, and I work pretty fast making changes and saving repeatedly...so if you are having weird issues, disconnect your foot controller...

Back
Top Bottom