Ares 1.03 latest release?

A great oversimplification of the so called Fletched-Munson effect, aka FM, aka loudness contour curves for human auditory perception as it pertains to frequency and intensity for the average listener
Ok... Then in that case, we know it's never happening :D

Oh hey thanks, I'll fix them....I was inactive and not playing for quite a few years so the links have long since passed away LOL

One of the things I like with eq blocks AFTER everything is you can adjust to the venue VERY quickly, without touching anything else in your preset :) usually a couple adjustments with the parametric eq and you're done

Before the amp as well is a nice trick to sculpt out the perfect tone.....even on my old pedal board I used to have an eq pedal because of the immense benefit it provided

EQ blocks, global EQ et al, is great to help adjust to a certain venue, no debate about that. The "holy grail" so to speak many people would like those is an automated EQ which can automatically compensate for things like the non-linearity of human hearing with regards to intensity level (FM) so that you could dial in a patch at home at 50dB and then have it magically perceived the same at 100 dB, without becoming to bass heavy etc, as we can't perceive as much bass at lower intensity levels. Big problem with this is that every PA system is going to be different, some adjustments have already been dialed in, speaker systems themselves have non-linearity with regards to output levels and freq range, human auditory perception is highly variable to the individual etc etc.

Essentially, its not possible to have a simple button for "live venue" EQ which will make things sound the same as it did at home, or in the studio et al. Way too many variables for a one size fits all solution

One certainly can use some EQ on a per venue basis though to have a setting for home/studio, and then one for a given venue, which you've dialed in. Just make sure the FOH engineer knows that your already trying to adjust for the system, otherwise they might be trying to cut on top of your cuts etc, which can be worse than doing nothing at all

OH!!! That!!! :O

NO THANKS!!! I'll pass!!! That's a spectacular way to make things sound totally weird!!!

OH!!! That!!! :O

NO THANKS!!! I'll pass!!! That's a spectacular way to make things sound totally weird!!!

Yep..... more harm than good in most cases lol. When I used to run sound at some smaller gigs I did, I'd always get guys doing things like adjusting the levels after we've already sound checked just because they thought being louder would sound "better", or that they needed more low end so they'd crank the bass knob when hitting the stage etc... always screwed everything up. Same thing is likely to happen when you've got guys that might flip on a "surprise" EQ curve

Yep..... more harm than good in most cases lol. When I used to run sound at some smaller gigs I did, I'd always get guys doing things like adjusting the levels after we've already sound checked just because they thought being louder would sound "better", or that they needed more low end so they'd crank the bass knob when hitting the stage etc... always screwed everything up. Same thing is likely to happen when you've got guys that might flip on a "surprise" EQ curve

I hate a super bassy live mix. Saw Obituary and it was garbage on a large stage. Someone was doing some bs on the sound booth... And yet Power Trip opened the show and the sound was crystal clear - Engl and marshall with sm57's

Last edited:

Yup, nothing more fun when you've just made everything sound right at the FOH for the guitarist, or bass player too for that matter, to realize they can't hear themselves. And instead of asking the monitor guy to turn up their wedges they start fiddling with their amps instead. When your amp is miked \up and gained in its no longer your principle source of stage sound but a recording device. You don't mess with a recording device when you are recording now do you. Unless you see that the signal is in the red. Then you'd better well do mess with your recording device.

I don't want anymore updates.My shit is dialed in.Sounds amazing.Tweaked what needed to be tweaked and I am off and running!Let's stop the insanity!
Then don’t update if something else comes out *thumbs up*

Reactions: jon
I don't want anymore updates.My shit is dialed in.Sounds amazing.Tweaked what needed to be tweaked and I am off and running!Let's stop the insanity!

The Ares update was the best firmware update ever. All the high gain amps sounds better, a lot better in terms of "real amp" feel. I would welcome another update if it brought even more to the table....

The only update I would really like is the fix for the known User 5 error displaying at random and locking up the Axe-FXII Mark II units when reamping via USB.

Reactions: jon
Ares sounds great but it would be perfect if they included the new jpIIC + in the Axe fx2. for Petrucci fans (like me) it would be the top.

I'd love it too, but he said twice when asked about it that the 2 is EOL and will not recieve any more updates as he crammed the last bit he could in there....we already got 3 or so very fine updates on a unit that is EOL, so that's more than fair.

It's not gonna happen, so don't get your hopes up k? Unless someone finds some major bug or something.....

I'd love it too, but he said twice when asked about it that the 2 is EOL and will not recieve any more updates as he crammed the last bit he could in there....we already got 3 or so very fine updates on a unit that is EOL, so that's more than fair.

It's not gonna happen, so don't get your hopes up k? Unless someone finds some major bug or something.....

you're right...

Back
Top Bottom