Ed Sheeran's Looper

The thing that got me with that rig is how complicated the rig is just to tune his guitar. Overall though, being able to run an arena show from two racks like that is incredible.

The thing that got me with that rig is how complicated the rig is just to tune his guitar. Overall though, being able to run an arena show from two racks like that is incredible.
I can’t believe they couldn’t run ONE audio cable just for the tuner. Kinda strange but whatever works!

Well of course I credit myself with starting the loop generation when I uploaded a video of me playing through a digitech jamman but yeah I have a fair bit of experience with loopers and when I saw Ed playing at Glastonbury on the TV a year or two ago I did try to explain to a friend how flawless it all was.
Amazing talent. Unfortunately there’s a lot of backlash against him. If your British you might remember James Blunt and the backlash he got. Ed is kinda going in the same direction.
I am sick of hearing his songs I will admit but that’s not his fault....

I can’t believe they couldn’t run ONE audio cable just for the tuner. Kinda strange but whatever works!
Finally got around to actually watching the video... Yeah, the tuner did seem a bit extreme.

But then again, this is obviously a bunch of really big audio nerds! The specs, acronyms, protocols and buzz words used during this video was kind of crazy.

Finally got around to actually watching the video... Yeah, the tuner did seem a bit extreme.

But then again, this is obviously a bunch of really big audio nerds! The specs, acronyms, protocols and buzz words used during this video was kind of crazy.

I think its kind of a "we are going to do it like this, simply because we can" type of situation, with running everything digital, having this crazy modded pedal built to allow keeping things 100% digital et al., again simply because they can....

I think that is kind of rock star excess to a pro audio nerd.... Some guys would be all about hookers and blow, green M&M's, white tigers and such; other guys use fortune and fame to have the only 2 digital digital tone generator Boss tuner pedals in existence created

More power to them though.... what fun it must be to work for a boss/tour that basically says money is no object, make it as good as you possibility can, I don't care how diminishing the return, do anything you'd like to try.

There is a certain enjoyment in doing something to the highest possible level possible, regardless of the need. My last road bicycle I built for example, I used carbon fiber everything, ceramic bearings, all electronic shifting, all hidden electrical connectors, every part designed to be as aerodynamic as possible etc etc, and yet I never will ride at a performance level anywhere near actually noticing any real gains from those parts. It was simply a "because I can" type of project and it was lots of fun.

Home HiFI sytems, muscle cars, guitar rigs... and in this case touring sound... boys like their toys

I have not seen Ed Sheeran live but if he pulls off entertaining the audience with loops then I salute as most looper based one-person bands are IMHO very boring. I rather see 3+ people on stage interacting with each other and create new music on the spot. But that's just me.

Even without the use of the Looper the guy is a great guitarist, singer and song-writer.

I'm not denying that. You can be an incredible artist making pop music. I reckon it takes talent in many areas to be that successful. But to me was barely a blip on the radar, and this piece has put him into an entirely new context for me.

I have not seen Ed Sheeran live but if he pulls off entertaining the audience with loops then I salute as most looper based one-person bands are IMHO very boring. I rather see 3+ people on stage interacting with each other and create new music on the spot. But that's just me.

The power trio is really both the bare minimum you need for a rock act. And also the format that rocks the hardest in every way. Add more people on stage and they start rocking less. I'd rather see the Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd with just their core members then with all the extra backing musicians and vocalists. Maybe the music will sound less full, but the more people there are on stage, the more it will sound polished and tame. As a result the power trio sounds the least polished and the most raw. And therefore the power trio rocks the most.

Turn the act into a duo, like the Black Keyes or the White Stripes, and you start to miss something. Rock needs drums, bass and a melody instrument. Take any of the three out of the equation and you're left with something less. Turn the act into a solo act and it becomes even more of a strain, as the entire task of rocking and entertaining the audience now falls on the shoulders of one person. Even Bono lets his band members occasionally take the spotlight.

If you want to experience both a power trio with lots of on-the-spot experimentation and looping done creatively, go to any Adrian Belew Power trio concerts, he's starting the 2019 tour very soon.

PS: Forgot to mention, Adrian is using Fractal Ultras (unless he finally got all his patches moved over to II or III) as part of his setup.

If you want to experience both a power trio with lots of on-the-spot experimentation and looping done creatively, go to any Adrian Belew Power trio concerts, he's starting the 2019 tour very soon.

PS: Forgot to mention, Adrian is using Fractal Ultras (unless he finally got all his patches moved over to II or III) as part of his setup.
DAMMIT..I missed them in chicago ...they played in the venue I attended last night (Bill Frisell and Petra Haden)..the night before...(I had seen Power Trio there before..I just somehow missed this one.........

Add more people on stage and they start rocking less. I'd rather see the Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd with just their core members then with all the extra backing musicians and vocalists. Maybe the music will sound less full, but the more people there are on stage, the more it will sound polished and tame. As a result the power trio sounds the least polished and the most raw. And therefore the power trio rocks the most.
Another case in point, The Who. I get that it works pretty well w/ the larger band - especially pieces from Tommy or Quadrophenia... but listen to Live at Leeds. Nuff said.

< Nothing to add about Ed Sheeran except that I didn't even know he did that cameo on Game of Thrones until later. I was like "oh great, someone for Arya to like, who fights for the enemy." Figured it was gonna turn into a Romeo and Juliet thing. Glad it didn't. >

I tried to make a positive, gear focused post and this obvious borderline racist insult just has to make its way here. What if Ed happened to see this and writes off Fractal entirely because of it?
Away a that ..... he's good for it. He has a sense of humour .... as tested thoroughly by meeting cousins of mine (Game Of Thrones related thing). The Leprechaun topic would ring a few bells with him about meeting them and the craic that was had, which is why I feel no guilt! Maybe it would actually inspire him to buy a Fractal if he found and read it. (He probably decided on getting a big looper after meeting my relatives - because there's no bigger loopers than them)

I'm pretty sure if he wanted a Fractal he'd have had one by now ... but it's probably not a tool on his radar as primarily a straight up acoustic guitar player.

He's an awesome talent of course and by first hand accounts remarkably grounded for all his success and wealth.

Feel free to remove my previous posts if they are ruining your day

I think, being from the island itself, @maxdown figured the topic was fair game. :)
He's actually from England ...... so fair game to us norn ironers for a bit of a slagging off for trying to look like he comes from here!

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom