LED "Bulbs"

Halogens and incandescents are a good choice during winter when heat isn’t being wasted.
lol. Halogens and incandescents are an expensive luxury — doubly so in summer. Not only do you pay a 300% premium over LEDs in wasted heat-producing electricity, but you pay an additional 500% premium in air conditioning to remove that heat.

the technology is moving pretty fast - just over the past 2-3 years I have noticed a huge improvement. Not there yet - but I believe they will get there in the next few years... All my recessed PAR 30's are all still halogen. Every time I go to Home Depot I buy another one just to stock pile them. I think I have about 10 spares - still not enough - they don't seem to last that long...
I agree. LED tech is improving. But not there yet. I also use halogen PAR 30. I'm thankful the 2017 expansion of the 2007 EISA isn't going forward in full. We'd be stuck with LED PAR 30.

Why not outlaw space heaters? Or market bulbs as heaters that happen to put out light?

lol. Halogens and incandescents are an expensive luxury — doubly so in summer. Not only do you pay a 300% premium over LEDs in wasted heat-producing electricity, but you pay an additional 500% premium in air conditioning to remove that heat.
Perhaps they are a "luxury" to you. To me, they are essential to a healthy indoor environment. I'm quite happy to pay the premium to eliminate sickly color casts, flat and inaccurate color rendering, and flicker. The physical and psychological benefits are real for many people.

Why not outlaw space heaters? Or market bulbs as heaters that happen to put out light?
So there's actually an exception in the law for this, to support situations that require heat lamps. I'm not totally sure of the details but you should still be able to buy conventional bulbs for things like lava lamps that don't actually work any other way.

Incandescent and halogen are 90% and 80% efficient respectively as heaters. They also happen to produce light of amazing quality. And efficiency is completely irrelevant in the first place. Consumers should decide what succeeds, not bureaucrats and politicians.

Or scientists, sometimes.
Scientists are free to design whatever they wish. Consumers can then decide what the most desirable products are for them as individuals.

The only "scientific" metric I see considered by those in power is efficiency. For me, it isn't a consideration at all. I'll take a 10% efficient light that looks great and has no flicker over a 100% efficient light that looks like shit and gives me a migraine, even if it costs 50 times the price in the long run.

Last edited:
I misspoke. Of course scientists don't get to make law, unless they're duly elected representatives. But their work should inform law.
Their work can't even "inform" whether eggs are good or bad for you. A lot of the time (probably _most_ of the time, quantitatively speaking) this "informing" is used to part gullible fools with their money.

Speaking of space heating, I've been heating my man cave this winter with a pair of quad-GPU servers cranking 24x7 (science, not mining). Also helps with another hobby of mine: homebrewing. :)

But those who "discover" it often don't really discover it. They very often make erroneous conclusions, or just make shit up outright. A very significant fraction of scientific studies fail when you try to reproduce them: https://phys.org/news/2018-07-beware-scientific-studiesmost-wrong.html. To rely blindly on "science" is as stupid as ignoring science completely.

I'm an independent researcher myself. For "dependent" researchers there is a whole host of perverse incentives. They have to demonstrate results to continue getting paid for their research. The very nature of research, however, is that 9 out of 10 things you try (or more!) don't work worth a damn, and most of the rest aren't that exciting.

So you get P-hacking, fakery, use of dubious statistical methods, pretending that your results are state of the art (by omitting existing work that's better), hand picking of examples where your methods work, and overt clickbait and exaggeration.

That's why you look for consensus. The article you linked to showed several examples of how science is self- correcting over time

My school is completely done with the 5000K 2’ x 2’ flush mount panel lights and they’re installed by the devil himself.

It was torture, straight torture, son.
maxresdefault.jpg

Have to agree with you Steady State. We just did a retrofit on a community hall and put in over 100 LED fixtures. Not the cheap home depot ones, but high price high quality commercial products. They are close, but just not there yet. The quality of light still doesn't compare to a halogen fixture which sells at a fraction of the price. Up here in Canada, the heat byproduct is a bonus. It's going to take a century to make up the cost differnce in the fixtures with the amount of energy they save based on the usage.

LED definately has its place and the technology is improving rapidly, but as of now, it's not the solution for every situation. Problem is, just like our American friends, our regulators up here think they know better. The reality of it is most of them don't know how to turn a light bulb in.
As long as it’s not lighting for a lecture hall at 7 am should be fine. Our lecture halls are too brightly lit with those damn things. It’s like a special weapons clean room. As I said above, torture, kiiiidd.

Even “consensus” is bullshit most of the time. Just two prominent examples:

Before Galileo the “consensus” was that all celestial bodies rotate around Earth.

Before Barry Marshall the “consensus” was that ulcers are caused by “nerves”. The guy was nearly laughed out of his field before he got a Nobel for his discovery of Heliobacter Pylori.

So whenever I hear “consensus” I just automatically substitute the word with “politically motivated bullshit”.

I have LED light question that maybe you guys can help with. I recently had them installed to replace a fluorescent light in my closet. It's only been about a month but the thing now barely lights up real dim. I wouldn't think it's a bulb or problem with the actual light but rather the wiring is probably jacked up or came loose. Does that sound like I'm in the ball park? I am NOT handy when it comes to this stuff, which is why I hired someone to do it in the first place. But if it's something I can easily fix, then I'd like to avoid having to schedule them to come out and fix it.

Back
Top Bottom