Axe III SPDIF Setup - Beginner

Hi everyone,

I apologise in advance for these extreme noob questions - I just want to make sure I've got everything set up correctly.

I have the following signal chain:

Guitar -> Axe III -> SPDIF Out to Focusrite Interface SPDIF In -> Monitors

On the Axe III:

Home > Setup > I/O

Input 1 Source: SPDIF/AES
Word Clock: SPDIF/AES IN
SPDIF/AES: SPDIF
SPIDFI/AES Out Source: Output One

Is that all correct? I also have the Axe connected via USB to use with the software.

Any tips or tricks I could know with regards to DAW setup, recording and latency etc... would be great if you have any. Thanks :)

There is actually a mistake in your setup. It should be like this:

Input 1 Source: Analog

If you have input 1 source set to SPDIF, you won't get any sound when using the front or rear input 1, which is where you plug in your guitar.

Last edited:

If you have input 1 source set to SPDIF, you won't get any sound when using the front or rear input 1, which is where you plug in your guitar.

That's really good to know and makes perfect sense.

Thanks very much.

Hi everyone,

I apologise in advance for these extreme noob questions - I just want to make sure I've got everything set up correctly.

I have the following signal chain:

Guitar -> Axe III -> SPDIF Out to Focusrite Interface SPDIF In -> Monitors

On the Axe III:

Home > Setup > I/O

Input 1 Source: SPDIF/AES

Is that all correct? I also have the Axe connected via USB to use with the software.

Any tips or tricks I could know with regards to DAW setup, recording and latency etc... would be great if you have any. Thanks :)

Bobby:
You are at the right place !
you have the RIGHT equipment <Fractal>
Most of US here have much to learn.

Good evening I'm approaching the setup you suggested, I also have axe fx 3 and Focusrite 6i6, if I follow your directions regarding axe fx 3,but on Focusrite I have to set internal or s/pidf? Thank you very much in advance!
Ps( I am connected to scarlett 6i6 with 2 cables S/pidf, out axe/in scarlett, and out scarlet /in axe and 1e2 outputs of Focusrite go to the monitors!
In addition to xrl from the channel out 1 L to analog input focus, on the audio pref of the Mac I have to select in and out the right focus? And in logic pro also? Sorry the thousand questions but as you will understand I'm a novice thanks for the answers that will help me!

Good evening I'm approaching the setup you suggested, I also have axe fx 3 and Focusrite 6i6, if I follow your directions regarding axe fx 3,but on Focusrite I have to set internal or s/pidf? Thank you very much in advance!
Ps( I am connected to scarlett 6i6 with 2 cables S/pidf, out axe/in scarlett, and out scarlet /in axe and 1e2 outputs of Focusrite go to the monitors!
In addition to xrl from the channel out 1 L to analog input focus, on the audio pref of the Mac I have to select in and out the right focus? And in logic pro also? Sorry the thousand questions but as you will understand I'm a novice thanks for the answers that will help me!
The Focusrite should be set to internal in this case. I don't quite get what your second question is?

Grazie mille per la risposta! Sto facendo troppe storie! E non so nemmeno quali domande dovrei porre! Vorrei solo un esempio di come configurare axe 3 Focusrite 6i6 e logic pro, in modo ottimale, con i collegamenti che ho eseguito suona bene ma non sono sicuro che sia corretto come ho fatto io! Grazie per aver capito che sono nuovo nel panorama digitale

On my Focusrite Saffire Pro40 I set it to “ spdif “ and on the Axe 3 I set the Word clock to “Internal”
I don’t use xlr connections only spdif
On the Saffire Pro40 spdif goes to inputs 9&10 , select those inputs on your Logic channels (tracks)

Last edited:
Uso questa configurazione per registrare la chitarra con AXEFX3:
Screenshot%202020-06-01%2017.22.23.png

20200601_173528.jpg

Screenshot%202020-06-01%2017.30.44.png
20200601_174228.jpg

Ok, I must be doing something wrong here. I've got the Focusrite 18i20 and in Focusrite Control I've set the sample rate to 48kHz, Clock Source S/PDIF and Fractal set as follows.

Word Clock: Internal

However, I cannot get the devices to sync. I've tried a single cable OUT from AXE FX III to the IN of Focusrite, and even tried bidirectional with two cables OUT to IN and IN to OUT of respective devices. What am I missing?

I think spidif must be clocked to external.
Not so long as both units are not on the same setting.
Either unit can be Master or slave. The unit set to 'Internal' clock will be the master whilst the unit set to s/pdif (external) will follow.

@ Jeff Greene, what do you mean by "I cannot get the devices to sync"? Are you getting any sound?
If you are, they are synced, if they aren't you'll hear a high pitched hiss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom