Modern Metal makes me laugh...

I miss classic heavy metal. In that regard I've become a boring old fart. I miss standard tuned guitars with riffs that were still heavy nonetheless, where the mids haven't been squeezed for every drop like an orange and vocals so inhumanly high you'd need falsetto just to sing along.

Anything with cookie monster or screaming vocals gets an instant pass, as does anything that even remotely sounds like djent (guitars have 6 strings god dammit, the way God intended it!!!), or where the musicians are ALL ANGRY ALL THE TIME!!! Dynamics is not for pussies, and if you vary your music with mid tempo and even slow tempo songs the fast aggressive stuff gains more impact. Pedal to the metal all the time becomes boring. Even Metallica and Black Sabbath still had ballads.

Okay, rant over, now I'm ready to go back to my retirement home.

Golden years of metal are over. I'm still open for new music but there's not much happening. There are probably more bands with better skills than ever but so much generic and uninteresting stuff.

As an seven-old kid I got scared when I heard the first riffs of Paranoid in a jukebox. Doubt this kind of music shocks anyone nowadays, not even kids.

Golden years of metal are over. I'm still open for new music but there's not much happening. There are probably more bands with better skills than ever but so much generic and uninteresting stuff.

I agree with this. Tons of bands, lots of music coming out, but I can listen to prog metal band after prog metal band, and most of them I can't tell apart. Symphonic metal and power metal are super played out as well. Every so often I hear something interesting, but if I try to listen to the entire album I get bored. Same formula for every song.

There are still bands doing cool things though. Amorphis for example. You always know it's the same band, but they change up their sound frequently, and can do no wrong. Eluveitie is another that has changed it up a lot, especially with their last album. There are plenty of others.

I still listen to way more older stuff than newer though, but that's okay with me as well.

Plenty of good modern metal if you know where to look. Nightwish, Dream Theater, Eternal Champion, Symphony X....

But if a band sounds like this, they should really drop music and take up gardening.

Dream Theater are not so modern. They are deeply rooted in Rush, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Maiden, etc.
And they are not millennials... ;)

I think we are at a point in music history where either genres have stagnated into a known formula or every type of mashup, let's say metal and dubstep, have been tested out and is also a formula. IMHO the only way out is to ignore all the other bands and make something truly unique. It could be dark and scary, too.

I’m 48. I feel like once I give up on new music it will mean I’m old at heart.

Check out this shit.

I'll be 48 on Sunday. I absolutely love Elder!

And yeah, Dream Theater is 30 years old. Not exactly a new band, but their music is still fresh and vibrant. They're playing decent-sized venues to adoring fans, not playing Timmy's bar-mitzvah.

Perhaps the new music that we hear as we grow older doesn't impact us as much as the music that we listened when we were younger. No matter what I listen now (I am 53) it doesn't touch me like when I listened for the first time the early Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Def Leppard, UFO, Scorpions, Uriah Heep, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Dio, Judas Priest, Saxon, Helloween, etc.

And also the old Prog Rock: Pink Floyd, Genesis (w. Gabriel), Camel, King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull, ELP... And at the 90's the Neo-Prog: Flower Kings, Marillion, IQ, Pendragon...

Last edited:
Same boat here, I will be 50 end of this year so it seems we have a quorum.
I have really been liking The Sword (also out of Texas I might add) and Mastadon. However I have a 'stoner rock' station that throws me bands like Clutch, Elder, Kyuss, and Monster Magnet and I like most of that stuff. It's interesting that those of us that came up on metal from the 80s seem to gravitate towards Stoner or Doom. I like the fantasy element (one second, I knocked my 1D20 off the table... haha, don't act like you don't get that reference) and the grove is in the pocket.

Bands mentioned like Symphony X, Kamelot, Between the Buried, have been in my circulation for some time now and I think they’re great!

Thank you to Ben, Elegost, and Marco for bringing new music for me to the table. I will check all of those out and Enternal Champion seems right up my ally. I search and search for this type of music, so when it falls in my lap like this, I really appreciate it! If you know of others I might not have heard of, please keep them coming!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom