Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

There are parameters that aren’t exposed to the user. If they’re not exposed to you, you can’t set them back to what they were.
i guess that makes the direct answer to his question "yes" then.

i just do what i said in my previous post and it works for me every time.

i just do what i said in my previous post and it works for me every time.
Which is the thing to do, anyway. :)

Not much point in resetting the amp and then changing all the parameters back, except as an exercise in knob turning.

Not much point in resetting the amp and then changing all the parameters back, except as an exercise in knob turning.
agreed. i think people mostly want the new firmware without any changes to their sound, except "better." and they want the "better" to happen without any work on their part.

i'm not saying that sarcastically at all. i think we'd all want that. but i just view firmware changes as that - a change.

It seems you guys are refuting each other. THERE IS a point in resetting all the parameters after an amp reset IF there are DEEP SETTINGS unexposed to the user, that change with a soft or even hard amp reset. This would get all the 'new' goodness with keeping your original sound as close to possible with the 'new' stuff thrown in. If simply downloading the new FW changes the 'deep settings' then an amp reset is unnecessary.

I did mention when I did a reset and changed all my settings my cpu usage went up 1% implying there is more going on than meets the eye!

It doesn’t work that way, though.

Let’s say that new firmware changes the way the cathode follower works (that never happens, right? ;)). Your deeper parameters were set for the way the old cathode follower worked, whether you tweaked them yourself or you were just using the old defaults. But with the new cathode follower, you’re not “keeping your original sound as close as possible” when you copy all your old parameters, because those parameters are no longer optimized for the new cathode follower. Instead, you’re just munging up your sound in random ways.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is what I have been saying. I honestly think they are labeled opposite of the axe 3.

That is impression. The new model went in to replace the old one... people complained, so the the old one was added back as sort of an afterthought to please the customers and ended up #2 by sequential default.

That is impression. The new model went in to replace the old one... people complained, so the the old one was added back as sort of an afterthought to please the customers and ended up #2 by sequential default.

Many people think that the new one is the SV Bass 1, we are still waiting for a confirmation.

Let’s say that new firmware changes the way the cathode follower works (that never happens, right? ;)). Your deeper parameters were set for the way the old cathode follower worked, whether you tweaked them yourself or you were just using the old defaults. But with the new cathode follower, you’re not “keeping your original sound as close as possible” when you copy all your old parameters, because those parameters are no longer optimized for the new cathode follower. Instead, you’re just munging up your sound in random ways.
I was just wondering if there are hidden parameters as well in ares that are different and can’t be edited. But your point is well taken the new flux capacitor may sound nothing like the old one even at the same setting.

So it all begs the 2 questions.
Hidden parameters and
What does soft reset truly change or does it simply default the new parameters- in which case there is no point copying and resetting all old presets.

Well that makes a lot of sense, didn't think about it.
But it means comparing changes in the firmware via the XY method is way more complicated and at times really futile...
So when using a certain preset to compare changes, we need to first check if the amp in the preset was done with the defaults of the prior firmware, if so than for the Y side we should use the defaults of the new firmware.

But what if an advanced parameter in the preset was changed from defaults.
Lets say the Sag algo changed, in prior firmware the default is value of 1 but the preset was on 3, so now what...
Maybe the default in the new firmware/algo is now 0.5 cause the Sag is more pronounced?, so to match XY you would set the Sag to 1.5? cause 1x3=3 so 0.5x3=1.5? and what if the pot taper was changed?

Food for thought.
Ah well, guess you should just play the damn thing and be done with it :D

I was just wondering if there are hidden parameters as well in ares that are different and can’t be edited.
There have always been hidden parameters that can't be edited. In all Fractal products.

What does soft reset truly change or does it simply default the new parameters...
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block#Resetting_amp_models

...in which case there is no point copying and resetting all old presets.
You must have read my post above. :)

But what if an advanced parameter in the preset was changed from defaults.
Lets say the Sag algo changed, in prior firmware the default is value of 1 but the preset was on 3, so now what...
Maybe the default in the new firmware/algo is now 0.5 cause the Sag is more pronounced?, so to match XY you would set the Sag to 1.5? cause 1x3=3 so 0.5x3=1.5? and what if the pot taper was changed?

Food for thought.
You're overthinking this. If you're getting more sag then you want, then turn down Sag until you like what it's doing. Trying to figure out some mathematically "perfect" setting for any parameter is an exercise in futility.

If something changed and your sound is too loud, you don't break out the calculator to figure out where you should set the Volume knob, right? You just turn that volume knob until the volume pleases you.

Back
Top Bottom