York Audio "AC-212 Blue & Gold" Cab Pack is out now!

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I’m proud to present the York Audio AC-212 Blue & Gold Cab Pack for Fractal Audio Systems.
You can grab it here!
https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-packs/york-audio/

This Pack is based on a 1994 “Korg™ era” AC-30/6 TB amplifier loaded with the original Alnico Blue as well as a Celestion™ Alnico Gold. The Blue has all of the mid-forward focus and chime Class-A enthusiasts demand, while the Gold has deeper lows, even midrange, and an airy top end for more contemporary boutique Class-A tones.

Hear it here in the context of a full band. All guitars and analog synths were tracked through the Axe-Fx using AC-212 IR’s. The bass was also tracked with the Axe-Fx using the York Audio SV-210 bass Cab Pack. Listen to how the guitars retain their clarity and cut through a dense mix.

Here’s what the Cab Pack includes:

Min Phase .syx and Raw .ir files for mixing in Cab Lab
Quick Play folder with 8 hand-selected IR’s to get you playing and creating fast.
Producer Single Mic folder with some of my favorite single mic captures.
Tweak Geek folder with all captures of the amp for those who like to go deep with their total tweaking.

Included Mics:

Dynamic:
Shure™ SM57
Shure™ SM58
Vintage Sennheiser™ MD421
Sennheiser™ e906
Shure™ SM7B

Ribbon:
Royer™ R121
Beyerdynamic™ M160
Shure™ KSM313

Condenser:
Telefunken™ U47
Neumann TLM 49

Feel free to ask any questions!
-Justin

Nice!

BTW, do your other packs also contain “raw” IRs?

Thanks! And my other packs contain raw .ir files that have been processed Min Phase in Cab Lab, so they still have the raw sound to them, but allow you make your own out of phase adjustments if you like that sound. I personally always use Min Phase IR's and will nudge one back if I want a little more of a lo-fi sound, but I thought I'd give users the option to process the IR's however they want. Since people use the Cab Align function in the III, they're essentially moving things in phase anyway, so it makes sense to me to have things in phase and then gradually take them out of phase rather than having to manually correct something seeking the same end goal. Does that make sense?

Sure!

I’ll explain:
Since Cliff wrote about it, I’ve compared “raw” single mic IRs to their MPT counterparts (no IR mixing), and I’ve concluded that I tend to prefer the non-MPT ones. It’s a very subtle difference, but no placebo. So that’s why I asked.

Sure!

I’ll explain:
Since Cliff wrote about it, I’ve compared “raw” single mic IRs to their MPT counterparts (no IR mixing), and I’ve concluded that I tend to prefer the non-MPT ones. It’s a very subtle difference, but no placebo. So that’s why I asked.

One of the higher-ups at FAS told me that all .ir files are raw unless they have been MPT’ed during the convolution process. If you take one of my single raw .ir files and compare it to a Cab Lab Min Phase processed IR, there is no sonic difference...just a hint of latency on the raw .ir due to the silence at the start of the IR. I got hit with the same revelation you did until that was explained to me. Since none of my IR’s are MPT’ed during the convolution process, they are all sonically “raw.” This pack contains completely raw .ir files if that’s the experience you’re going for.

Can I just say that I was totally diggin that tune. Nice.
Cab sounds good too ;)
HAHA! Thanks, man. It's meant to make your head bounce. :)

Freakin awesome tone, I'm in! Care to share that preset? It would work perfect for one of my projects. Please? ;-)
I'll give you my settings. The patch is a complete disaster because I'm constantly swapping out sounds while I'm creating to find the tone that's right for the part, so nothing is organized at all. But here ya go...

Class-a 30W TB:
Input Drive 3.5
Bass 3.84
Treb 6
High Cut 3.5

Cab:
Verse riff was either the BLU 58 2A or the Blue 58 1C with low cut at 100 Hz.
Chorus rhythms - BLU 58 2A
Chorus chime - BLU 57 CEB+121 G2 mix

Delay in front of the amp:
Deluxe Mind Guy with modulation down to 13.4% and Mix at 27%

Reverb in front of the amp:
Verse riff - London Plate Mix @ 13%
Chorus ambient - Stratocumulus at default

Compressor at the front of the chain:
Analog Compressor - Thresh -19 and Level at 3

That should get you in the ballpark. Good luck on your project!

Perfect, thanks man!
HAHA! Thanks, man. It's meant to make your head bounce. :)

I'll give you my settings. The patch is a complete disaster because I'm constantly swapping out sounds while I'm creating to find the tone that's right for the part, so nothing is organized at all. But here ya go...

Class-a 30W TB:
Input Drive 3.5
Bass 3.84
Treb 6
High Cut 3.5

Cab:
Verse riff was either the BLU 58 2A or the Blue 58 1C with low cut at 100 Hz.
Chorus rhythms - BLU 58 2A
Chorus chime - BLU 57 CEB+121 G2 mix

Delay in front of the amp:
Deluxe Mind Guy with modulation down to 13.4% and Mix at 27%

Reverb in front of the amp:
Verse riff - London Plate Mix @ 13%
Chorus ambient - Stratocumulus at default

Compressor at the front of the chain:
Analog Compressor - Thresh -19 and Level at 3

That should get you in the ballpark. Good luck on your project!

I’m proud to present the York Audio AC-212 Blue & Gold Cab Pack for Fractal Audio Systems.
You can grab it here!
https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-packs/york-audio/

This Pack is based on a 1994 “Korg™ era” AC-30/6 TB amplifier loaded with the original Alnico Blue as well as a Celestion™ Alnico Gold. The Blue has all of the mid-forward focus and chime Class-A enthusiasts demand, while the Gold has deeper lows, even midrange, and an airy top end for more contemporary boutique Class-A tones.

Hear it here in the context of a full band. All guitars and analog synths were tracked through the Axe-Fx using AC-212 IR’s. The bass was also tracked with the Axe-Fx using the York Audio SV-210 bass Cab Pack. Listen to how the guitars retain their clarity and cut through a dense mix.

Here’s what the Cab Pack includes:

Min Phase .syx and Raw .ir files for mixing in Cab Lab
Quick Play folder with 8 hand-selected IR’s to get you playing and creating fast.
Producer Single Mic folder with some of my favorite single mic captures.
Tweak Geek folder with all captures of the amp for those who like to go deep with their total tweaking.

Included Mics:

Dynamic:
Shure™ SM57
Shure™ SM58
Vintage Sennheiser™ MD421
Sennheiser™ e906
Shure™ SM7B

Ribbon:
Royer™ R121
Beyerdynamic™ M160
Shure™ KSM313

Condenser:
Telefunken™ U47
Neumann TLM 49

Feel free to ask any questions!
-Justin

Ordered!
Thanks - been looking for this combo for awhile, now. One of my favorites, back in my Matchbox/Bad Cat/Star amp days.

purchasing - love your stuff, just the right mix for my ears.

Bring on the next one!
Thank you for the kind words. I’m really happy with how this one turned out.

Loving the Gold IR's in this one

Thank you, Leon. As per usual, your tones are insane, and I love the Marshall with the Gold. That was a really nice surprise.

Ordered!
Thanks - been looking for this combo for awhile, now. One of my favorites, back in my Matchbox/Bad Cat/Star amp days.
Thanks for picking up the Pack! I really like the Gold IR’s with the Matchless style amps, so I think you’ll be at home with that combo.

Great one Leon as always
@2112 @York Audio unfortunately this o lay shows how great is the gold
I use for my Ac30 TB the Legacy blue 2x12 RW
Will I experiment a big improvement if I go for this pack?
In that case which of all the IR do you recommend me to use?

Many thanks
Hi Rafa,

I listened to the Legacy Blue 2x12 RW IR to see where you're coming from, and I think you would find a pretty big improvement with this Pack. If that's the sound you're liking with your AC-30 patch, you may like the Gold speaker better. A real Blue has lots of upper midrange rudeness and chime. That's the speaker I used in my clip in the original post. You can hear it bark at you at times just like the real amp with a Strat does. It cuts through the mix and has a lot of character to it. If you're going for an Edge vibe, go with the BLU 58 2A or BLU 58 2B all day long.

The Gold speaker is more balanced overall and kinda "hi-fi" sounding. I have a Speaker Blend folder in the Cab Pack and think you would like the "BLU 58 2A+GLD 58 1C" mix which gives you the best of both worlds. I like that one A LOT. Either way, I set it up to where each speaker has a Quick Play folder with a handful of great IR's to try out. See which speaker you like better and go from there. Your ears will tell you when you've got the right IR. ;)

I am going for a Brian May setup so which it do you recommend so the magic happens when I connect my Brian May guitar and my external treble booster bearing in mind Brian uses blue??
Many thanks for your response!!!

I am going for a Brian May setup so which it do you recommend so the magic happens when I connect my Brian May guitar and my external treble booster bearing in mind Brian uses blue??
Many thanks for your response!!!
I don’t have a Brian May guitar or external Treble Booster, but my guess is that you’d like the darker 58, 421, 906 or U47 Blue captures for that kind of sound. Without the guitar, I don’t have a reference to give you more specific recommendations, but I’ve definitely felt Brian May vibes with my own guitars. If you get the Pack, try the 2A, 2B, and 2G positions with the 58, 421, and 906 mics. Try distances 3 and 4 with the U47 (probably C3 or G3) and see what works the best with your hands. And don’t be afraid to blend IR’s.

This is when I wish people could just come to my house and we’d dial in tones together. Makes it so much easier than guessing. And I also with I had that guitar. I bet it sounds really unique.

I've got the basic parameters of your preset entered. Just waiting for my order to stop saying processing... :-(

Back
Top Bottom