Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

I don't get these "remarkable" massive changes to the amps some are struggling with. Compared to firmware changes during the original axe-fx, the axe-fx ultra and up until a couple years ago with the axe-fx II mark 1, these new changes are VERY easy to manage.

Something us ancient axe-fx users learned long ago is when new firmware comes out, suck it up and re-tweak and save amps in the new firmware and stay current. If we failed to do so, the accumulated changes would be so unmanageable we had to completely reset all amps and start from scratch. Even doing that, there were many FW updates that were so extreme, it was easier/faster to start again from scratch than tweak existing presets to "get back" we had.

A side benefit of this inconvenience is we actually got better at using and tweaking the axe-fx...
imagine that...LOL

Totally agree.....however, to my ears, Ares is one of the most significant changes to date....so I understand people asking questions about the gain and volume and bass and all that.....

But like you said, it's best to just suck it up, retweak one LAST time and enjoy the ii's retirement package :)

When did he say that? I also thought that SV 1 was the new one but Cliff said there were no errors.

Does it really make that much of a difference to just replace the models in the patch?

Yeah my OCD also wants to know if they are mixed up, but it takes 2 seconds to select the 'correct one' for the patch and you're back up and running again....

EDIT: See bradlake's reply below. Disregard this post.
---------------------------
Fx8? Still nothing
The Ares update isn't coming to the FX8. All the changes were related to the Amp Block, which the FX8 doesn't have.

Last edited:
The Ares update isn't coming to the FX8. All the changes were related to the Amp Block, which the FX8 doesn't have.
Technically, this is not completely correct, there have been additions/upgrades to the drive and reverb blocks since Ares but remains unknown to us if the FX8 will be able to get them...

So, in a preset:
what would be the difference between, select another amp and return to the previous one. And do a reset on the amp block in the preset?
reset block? or select another and return to the previous one?
I do not know, but something keeps sounding different than 1.02. Excuse me.

Technically, this is not completely correct, there have been additions/upgrades to the drive and reverb blocks since Ares but remains unknown to us if the FX8 will be able to get them...
I think the ares improvements are related only to modelling amp...I wish I was wrong

I started yesterday making a preset from scratch but only with the amp block. I did a reset of the amp block and realised when I changed from one page to the other page in the amp block, there where again some changes always on the current page. Not an all of them but I did then on every page in the amp block an amp block reset and sounds great now. Just tweaked the basic page and it sounds great now.

Last edited:

AFAIK the updates to drive and reverb block only apply to AF3. Ares for AF2 only affects amp blocks.

Reactions: Rex
Stop the whining guys and enjoy the release!! It sounds really good. And decide! are you a guitar player or bass player? I really don’t care...amps sound really good. I was the biggest anti fractal guy out there and I have resigned, coz it’s f*** amazing. I replaced a 14u rack with the Axe Fx and it really does sound as good.

They both sound good for me. They have different applications, for me at least. I made a phat QOTSA patch with the sv1 and I prefer the sv2 for bass because it sounds like the old model. Right now I am going to go with Seed and what a few others have said that the sv2 is the old amp. It would just be nice if this could be confirmed in some way.

Do you have a source of where Cliff said this?

They both sound good for me. They have different applications, for me at least. I made a phat QOTSA patch with the sv1 and I prefer the sv2 for bass because it sounds like the old model. Right now I am going to go with Seed and what a few others have said that the sv2 is the old amp. It would just be nice if this could be confirmed in some way.

axe-fx-ii-ares-rev-1-01-firmware-release /page-5

See post #96

The Porta-Bass bug is known and has been fixed for the next release. I'll also be adding the old SVT model back so there will be two SVT models.

All he says there is if the models are the same, but he doesn't indicate which one is the old and new.

He talks about adding the old one back, I was guessing if it was an addition to what was there, it would be labeled as 2. I swore I saw a post somewhere that he he did say for sure, but I can't find where I saw it.

I ask again, does resetting an amp block and then setting EVERY parameter to my old preset change something more than if I dont reset the amp block from quantum 10.3?

I ask again, does resetting an amp block and then setting EVERY parameter to my old preset change something more than if I dont reset the amp block from quantum 10.3?
i can only say "pretty sure" because i didn't create the device.

but i'm pretty sure that if you reset any block, then put the exact same settings back, it's as if you didn't reset the block. i think there is an exception here and there over the years. again, i don't think anyone knows this detail other than the developers, and when a block reset is absolutely necessary, it is said in the Release Notes.

load new firmware. try your current presets. if it sounds good, you're done. if it sounds bad, you'll need to adjust. a good way to adjust is to reset the block and re-dial. it's almost always been easier/faster to get the desired result when this is the case.

i don't think anyone else can offer different insight other than the developers themselves, or a quote from the developers from before.

There are parameters that aren’t exposed to the user. If they’re not exposed to you, you can’t set them back to what they were.

Back
Top Bottom