Turbosound TFM122M-AN

I’ve only tried their “stick” systems, that look like the Bose tower thing. It’s ok, but that’s hardly a judgement on a more traditional speaker like this.

For ~$1200, it should be a higher quality than most other common powered speakers. I like the feature set though.

Man, I like the features on this one. I love coax drivers for guitar FRFR and for the speaker size and power it isn't too heavy.

I like the feature set too. Looks rugged, and I like the handle location. Ultranet is what I like most about it, but I'd also want 2 analog inputs.
The 2500 W figure is grossly off as it often is, since the passive version is rated for 350 W continuous.

Spec sheet isn't really up to par for a $1250 product... hello Music Group. This would be a sticking point for me. Hopefully someone chimes in with some experience.

The prosumer version TFX122M-AN is on sale and quite cheaper, $400.

The Dynacord is 90 degrees...
As I now also own a CLR (also 90 degrees) I can directly compare them and the CLR wins for me soundwise by a little bit. The feature set of the Dynacord is better though.

Anyone try these. Look impressive and Turbosound used to be a respected name.

I'm also interested in what people think... I'm looking at the similar TSP122-AN as a possible top to a PA system with an X32 Rack and routing over Ultranet.

They say it has a "DSP" which makes me think room correction, but maybe it is just a digital EQ?

They say it has a "DSP" which makes me think room correction, but maybe it is just a digital EQ?
The Yamaha DXR manual is informative on what DSP does in a typical active PA speaker:
4ZkATpw.png

The Dynacord is 90 degrees...
As I now also own a CLR (also 90 degrees) I can directly compare them and the CLR wins for me soundwise by a little bit. The feature set of the Dynacord is better though.
Sorry I made this go off topic, but how is the volume out of the Dynacord compared to any other speaker? Does it have headroom for loud stages?

Anyone try these. Look impressive and Turbosound used to be a respected name.

Cliff, a lot of folks over on this forum talk about these wedges: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php#c1
Go to either the LAB or the LAB Lounge (or just do a general search) and you'll find some opinions.

From what I've read, they're solid. Seem to be equivalent to the RCFNX12 or Dynacord.

Turbosound also makes a box that is thought to be a clone(ish) box of those JBL SRX712s you had/have:
http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Turbosound/MADRID/TMS122M/p/P0B60
I'm waiting to hear some opinions on these....

I've owned the Turbo IQ12s (not at all the same speaker), but I'll say they were better than I expected for the price. Turbosound does good work.

DSP means digital signal processing. It could be doing any number of things.

Ha, LOL. I'm familiar with DSP technology, but thanks for taking it easy on me ;). I guess I figured it might be doing more than EQ & Limiting if they called it out on the spec sheet (e.g., let you ring out a room to get a flatter response). Looks like presets for particular rooms and usage types (on stand, on floor, with/without a sub)).

There is a Windows app to connect to the Turbosound speaker, but I'm on MacOS so I can't see if it lets you dial in custom EQ settings.

Having it find resonances and applying notch filters like a feedback suppressor would be awesome. I have a DBX unit that does that.

Ha, LOL. I'm familiar with DSP technology, but thanks for taking it easy on me ;). I guess I figured it might be doing more than EQ & Limiting if they called it out on the spec sheet (e.g., let you ring out a room to get a flatter response). Looks like presets for particular rooms and usage types (on stand, on floor, with/without a sub)).

There is a Windows app to connect to the Turbosound speaker, but I'm on MacOS so I can't see if it lets you dial in custom EQ settings.

Having it find resonances and applying notch filters like a feedback suppressor would be awesome. I have a DBX unit that does that.

If you're going to get an X32 rack, you can 'ring out a room' with tools inside the box.
X32 has standard RTA, and can generate pink/white noise. And there is an app you can purchase (can't remember the name right now) for $10 that will 'listen' to the pink noise and flatten your PA (by controlling one of the graphic EQs inside the X32).
Same thing a driverack does.

My ONLY gripe about using this method is that you are using the mic in your iPad as your reference. If you have a cover on your iPad, I imagine it affects the reading your iPad mic is taking.

I remember watching a sound guy at a club I play, trying to flatten the PA - and I said: "hey, you may want to take the leather case off your iPad....and um, your hand is covering the mic"
So yeah, just be careful with this method.

I prefer to stand out front, crank some music I know well, and run PEQ on the main outputs.
I'll create tight Q on each band, crank the first band....sweep it until I find an offending frequency, then cut that freq by 4db. Keep doing it until I've run out of 'bands'...or I've killed any ugly frequencies.
Dave Moulton taught me this trick. (if you don't know him, google him....audio legend)

There are good options for iphone/ipad external reference mics but agree, take the cover off!

Really?... Can you give me more info on that app please?
Thanks
Pauly

I<snip> And there is an app you can purchase (can't remember the name right now) for $10 that will 'listen' to the pink noise and flatten your PA (by controlling one of the graphic EQs inside the X32).
Same thing a driverack does.

<snip>)

It wouldn't be possible for a speaker to flatten the response for a room, since that's location dependent.

And FYI the TFM122M-AN does have an auto-detect feedback suppressor feature with notch filters.

Back
Top Bottom