AX8 straight into a small tube amp

You could trade in the DSL 15 for a DSL 40. It’s got an effects loop and has a 20 watt setting. I run the AX8 into the FX in on mine and sounds great. You can find a used one for less than a cheap FRFR speaker.

Greetings AX8 community. There are tons of videos of pros making the AX8 sound great through their million dollar studio, but im just a poor white boy with a simple Les Paul, and AX8 and a Marshall DSL15 Tube amp...and everything I play sound like crap...I can't use the amp blocks because they are supposed to be turned off for direct play into an amp, and I can't use the speaker cabs because same thing...no worries though, the problem I am having is when I set up effects, say distortion, delay, chorus, everything has this "tube" overtone ringing that I can't get rid of. I cannot get that tight sound. everything sounds like its run through a Fender Clean Amp undernieth a giant bell, like I'm playing rockabilly or something. I cannot make any patches that sound anything near like what I want to emulate because the overtones are soo strong. What am I doiung wrong. I just want a nice distortion without blowing my eardrums out. I've tried the EQ PEQ turning down the treble, turning down the mid, turning down th bass, everything, but it still sounds like crapola...Does someone have familiarity with running the AX8 straight into an amplifier maybe can help.

As everyone is basically saying, the bottom line is that you probably can't get the most out of your AX8 without at minimum, having a traditional amp with a power amp line in/FX loop line in. Even then, you'll probably want to eliminate the Cab Block from your preset - which is limiting the AX8 in that way.

Trust me, I live the "I'm on a budget" life. But where there's a will, there's a way. Look for used powered speakers or amps with FX Loops. Honestly, as long as the speaker is decent and the power stage of the amp is satisfactory, it doesn't have to be a premium amp. It can be fairly inexpensive (and even solid state). There are a lot of reasonably priced new powered speakers too. Even though they're better, there is no need to commit to a CLR or Friedman FRFR in order to fully utilize your AX8.

(Don't tell anyone here, this will be our secret our secret... ;) But for PA/FRFR uses, I'm running my AX8 into a Seismic Audio powered "15 wedge and get very usable/great tones from it. I believe these sell for a little over $200 new. 300 watts that are loud enough for gigs and rehearsals. "Best possible tone" from my SA wedge? I doubt it. But I dare anyone to listen to it and say, "That sucks!" It doesn't.) I wouldn't take my SA on the road, but that's completely the wrong context for this thread.

I also have a tube combo with an FX loop that I use as well as a traditional 212 cab and power amp setup. All purchased on a budget.

There are other affordable FRFR suggestions bouncing around this forum all the time too. So there is a reasonable answer to your quandary, even if it isn't the most preferred. With your current setup, it sounds like you're pretty much limited to just using the overdrive blocks and effects while eliminating amp and cab blocks. Which is cutting out what is most appealing about having the AX8 in the first place. IMO. Sorry about that, but it could be a relatively easy fix for you.

Good luck!

As long as we're on the 'don't tell anyone ;) ' note, I gigged for years with the ultra and ii with a roland ba330...and I recently got a roland cube street ex for small gigs....both were plenty loud and sounded great!

Different from my FRFR systems for sure, but all I needed usually was a monitor for the guitar and my vocals and these deliver! Plus the added feature of portability, on board mixer and battery power.....

Yeah I know - it's not a CLR or an HS8 or something but it works great for me, and I still have my 2x15 and 2x12 frfr systems for the large gigs

(Don't tell anyone here, this will be our secret our secret... ;) But for PA/FRFR uses, I'm running my AX8 into a Seismic Audio powered "15 wedge and get very usable/great tones from it. I believe these sell for a little over $200 new. 300 watts that are loud enough for gigs and rehearsals. "Best possible tone" from my SA wedge? I doubt it. But I dare anyone to listen to it and say, "That sucks!" It doesn't.) I wouldn't take my SA on the road, but that's completely the wrong context for this thread.
When I started looking for FRFR solutions I looked at Seismic Audio and they're a good bang for the buck.

People use whatever works for them but it kills me every single time when folks run an AX-8 or Axe FX through a guitar amp (even the FX return) or a guitar cab because it neuters the AX-8/Axe FX. It's like driving a Ferrari through a never-ending school zone.

Take opinions with a grain of salt. Yes, the AX8 through a practice amp is not going to sound as big as it does through a line array system.
Bottom line is, you can make the AX8 sound good with different amps, monitors and powered speakers. I have a preset in my Fender Mustang II to run the AX8 and it sounds great! It's still going through a 1X12 cabinet, but it does the job quite well, using both amp and cabinet modeling.

Point is, sometimes it takes a bit of time to figure out how to take what you have and make it sound good. Fractal products are incredibly versatile in this way and not using a portion of their capability does not cheapen their value or somehow mean you're not using it to its potential. Do what works best and sounds best to you.

I'd not take anything M@t says 'with a grain of salt' at ALL though.....he has worked setting up all the big names.....his resume at this point probably could get him into the hall of fame alone....I'd bet the guy knows a thing or two...just saying....

Are you using (or planning to use) the DSL15 by itself, without the AX8?

In case not, I'd sell it asap.

I recently bought a JBL EON10 to stay at the rehearsal room. It's one of many cheap options. Yes; Really cheap for what it can do. Much better than any guitar amp at the place. You'd be satisfied from minute 1 and could invest all the time in playing and creating nice sounds, instead of fighting gear that's not been made for what you need.

It sounds very good at home, too. And no more worrying about tubes.

Back
Top Bottom