AX8 2?

On the built in expression pedal thing. One way to solve the elegantly would be to simply have a mountable expansion system. Nothing flimsy, properly screwed into the unit. An expression pedal could then be purchased separately that could be attached to the unit.

Don’t want to spend the extra money - don’t buy the expression pedal.
If the expression pedal breaks - buy a new one (same as now), but it would be attachable.
If you don’t want to use for the next gig - detach it, and re-add later if needed.
If you want a different brand of expression pedal - buy it, same as now. I’m sure that companies like Mission Engineering also would design a new model that could be attached.
If you prefer it on the other side - mount it there, it’s not hard to design a system the would fit either side, or have one expression pedal on each side.

Again, nothing flimsy. Properly screwed into the side of the unit, both at the top and bottom, front and back. Connection wise, you could have an expression pedal input jack at both sides of the Ax8 2 and a low footprint pancake style cable (again easily replaceable) that would connect the expression pedal to either side.
As long as we're designing an attachment system, let's design one that allows you to set the expression pedal exactly at the angle you prefer, and also lets you attach other things you might need, like wireless receivers, tuners and power supplies. It could be made as fancy or as cheap as you like, and it could be made the exact size to accommodate the stuff that the player wants to attach. Or the player could even build his own for next to nothing. We can call it a "pedalboard."

Oh, wait...

All together, keeping expression pedals separate is fine, add a coupon for a discount on an expression pedal when purchasing AX8 Mark II.

I might show my ignorance now, but having on the board itself a switch to switch between different settings on a single expression pedal would be nice including range. Boss MFX pedals have a switch from default volume to wah to pitch to other settings. This way a single pedal could be quickly used for various purposes at a gig.

I might show my ignorance now, but having on the board itself a switch to switch between different settings on a single expression pedal would be nice including range. Boss MFX pedals have a switch from default volume to wah to pitch to other settings. This way a single pedal could be quickly used for various purposes at a gig.
You can do that now by changing scenes or using the multiplexer block.

Reactions: Rex
All together, keeping expression pedals separate is fine, add a coupon for a discount on an expression pedal when purchasing AX8 Mark II.

What @jefferski said. The Modifiers on the AX8 allowyou to customize the behavior of an expression pedal with much more control than any switch or pot could.

What @jefferski said. The Modifiers on the AX8 allowyou to customize the behavior of an expression pedal with much more control than any switch or pot could.
Yes but there's something quick and nice with a real switch on a board for quick flip from let's say from wah to pitch, used to do that with my MFX board -- rather than doing more and more presets.

Yes but there's something quick and nice with a real switch on a board for quick flip from let's say from wah to pitch, used to do that with my MFX board -- rather than doing more and more presets.
No need for multiple presets. With some clever routing, you can make scenes do the switching for you.

Last edited:
Using modifiers with scenes and/or multiplexer block let you do exactly what you're asking for without having to change presets.

I'm on board with the attached expression pedal...I love the mini ones like the hotone or the chi wah wah or even the one on the vox tonelab was fun too

Also like having the option to connect one too - most people use two anyway....so have a built in one with a jack or two for additional ones and everyone's happy

Quick and easy setup, and if you want another just connect another. Most people will likely just end up using the built in one anyway. If it gets dirty or needs servicing, take it apart and clean it up just like any other wah pedal. I have never had a wah break, so can't comment on that one.....what did you guys do to break it though? :O

I'm on board with the attached expression pedal...I love the mini ones like the hotone or the chi wah wah or even the one on the vox tonelab was fun too

Also like having the option to connect one too - most people use two anyway....so have a built in one with a jack or two for additional ones and everyone's happy

Quick and easy setup, and if you want another just connect another. Most people will likely just end up using the built in one anyway. If it gets dirty or needs servicing, take it apart and clean it up just like any other wah pedal. I have never had a wah break, so can't comment on that one.....what did you guys do to break it though? :O
most people carry it by that pedal and it snaps off eventually. it's not usually that easy to fix or get the replacement part.

No need for multiple presets. With some clever routing, you can make scenes do the switching for you.
That's the point, I want to just flip from pitch to wah to volume on the spot without scenes using a simple rotary switch. Similar to Boss MFX pedals, anyway, just a point.

PS: There's something nice with Boss MFX systems (ME-50/70/80, or even pedalboards) where the lead singer says "I want to play Purple Rain" and I could reach down and key in the main effects within seconds without having a pre-defined preset if lucky or do menu diving left and right... Not to speak of ad hoc pedal settings on the spot for surprises.

That's the point, I want to just flip from pitch to wah to volume on the spot without scenes using a simple rotary switch. Similar to Boss MFX pedals, anyway, just a point.
I guess different people are different ways. Myself, I'd rather make that change with a scene-changing stomp than by stooping to the floor and twisting a knob.

PS: There's something nice with Boss MFX systems (ME-50/70/80, or even pedalboards) where the lead singer says "I want to play Purple Rain" and I could reach down and key in the main effects within seconds without having a pre-defined preset if lucky or do menu diving left and right... Not to speak of ad hoc pedal settings on the spot for surprises.
We really are very different.

1) If my singer calls out Purple Rain and we haven't rehearsed it, he's just committed to a solo performance. If we have rehearsed it, I already have a preset for it.

2) It's way easier and more reliable to pull up a preset than to drop to the floor, tweak a bunch of knobs, and hope you can dial it in right on the first try.

I could reach down and key in the main effects within seconds
anyone can do that with the axe front panel as well. drop in those blocks quickly and play.

though i'd really never do that, nor have "seconds" between songs to do that.

I guess different people are different ways. Myself, I'd rather make that change with a scene-changing stomp than by stooping to the floor and twisting a knob.

We really are very different.

1) If my singer calls out Purple Rain and we haven't rehearsed it, he's just committed to a solo performance. If we have rehearsed it, I already have a preset for it.

2) It's way easier and more reliable to pull up a preset than to drop to the floor, tweak a bunch of knobs, and hope you can dial it in right on the first try.

I had to do lots of on-the-spot tweaking on effects at the gig tonight this Monday. No presets ready, neither any need for menu diving. If you know how pedals inside out its a quick task and any semi or pro guitar player should be ready for just anything unexpected rather than complain. Besides it's more fun than always having presets. Plus you could tweak the effects to unexpected sounds which live music is all about.

Now this is of course not a requirement for bedroom players.

Attached expression pedal would be a deal breaker for me. I usually mount it on the left side of the unit, and to build two units with one expression pedal left, other version right and third version with 2...sounds ridiculous.
And, if cable stuff done right, it doesn't take that much space than an old Boss GT-8 (use the bag to carry my combination).

I had to do lots of on-the-spot tweaking on effects at the gig tonight this Monday. No presets ready, neither any need for menu diving. If you know how pedals inside out its a quick task and any semi or pro guitar player should be ready for just anything unexpected rather than complain. Besides it's more fun than always having presets. Plus you could tweak the effects to unexpected sounds which live music is all about.

Now this is of course not a requirement for bedroom players.
I see what you did there.

I'd prefer no expression pedal included.

The AX* wouldn't be allowed as hand luggage in airplanes here.

AX(N) in a size fit for a guitar bag (like the Boss GT-1) would be intriguing. That and a lightweight self-powered speaker and you could walk for a mile for a gig with the equipment. If it MIDI for expansion of the foot switches and expression pedals then it's a no-brainer to scale up for other gigs.

Not sure why the attached expression pedal would be a good thing. Everyone likes different things in an expression pedal. I personally like the Mission with a toe switch. So I took a piece of 1/4" thick poly-carbonate (Lexan), cut it to size, and attached my AX8 and Mission pedal to it and permanently installed the interconnect cables. I did the same thing with my MFC. Works great! You can also use things like laminate flooring. Just cut to size, drill (or velcro) and mount your stuff. It moves around just like a unit with an expression pedal already integrated. Plus, you get the expression pedal you want; and if you have a problem with the expression pedal you don't have to take the whole unit for repair.

Playing a specific tune on the fly that has a very specific sound or effect is practically impossible unless the sound or effect is already pre-defined! ie: pedal boards or a multi effect pedal that has that specific sound or algo already programed in.

I understand what you are getting at but you need to understand is that when FAS designed the effects and amp tones it was more to the point of being used as a blank pallet or starting point to create as opposed to a predetermined sound or effect that is already done for you.

Playing a specific tune on the fly that has a very specific sound or effect is practically impossible unless the sound or effect is already pre-defined! ie: pedal boards or a multi effect pedal that has that specific sound or algo already programed in.

I understand what you are getting at but you need to understand is that when FAS designed the effects and amp tones it was more to the point of being used as a blank pallet or starting point to create as opposed to a predetermined sound or effect that is already done for you.
I think both goals are doable. For the most part one would not expect a one-to-one sound from quick tweaking. Furthermore, sometimes I play Purple Rain with the original close-enough flanger setting, sometimes with a chorus, sometimes with a Dimension-D setting, mostly as I'm bored playing that song but it's requested. That also helps me to motivate playing it. This is true of both covers and originals, there's something liberating to change the sound quickly from time to time when performing something rather than being a preset robot.

Having a rotary knob to switch expansion pedal settings quickly is not a deal breaker for me, but it's interesting how most MFX pedalboards with a built-in expansion pedal has such a thing with volume as a default setting. Same with more complex Wah pedals such as Boss PW10... Means you could maximize the use of one pedal rather than bringing three of them to the set, or spend menu diving to set up the pedal just when you feel for a Tom Morello pitch bender effect in a solo ten seconds before starting it.

Back
Top Bottom